1 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2017-08-17 11:27 AM)

Topic: Opinion request: Lemons candidates

Thinking of starting the process. I have several Lemons candidates, and I'm inviting opinions on viability. I know, on the internet....I know! I'll pick one in the next month or so.

96Accord coupe, 97Volvo 850NA, 01Maxima, 03Mazda6, 91CapriceClassic

The Accord has the 4cyl, manual, but I got it with what looks like modifications. I haven't run it on the road, but it does run, accelerates easily in the parking lot, and started easily after sitting for 6 months. Surprisingly quick for a 4cyl. It actually looks like it was originally the auto it was advertised to be. The clutch shifter stalk is massively thick, much thicker than my 98Civic stick, and has an unexpected bend in it - but not from damage as far as I can tell. It has a valve cover with VTEC on it, an aftermarket air intake, and a blue aluminum billet oil cap which I don't think is stock. It came with an aftermarket [Cervinis(R)] hood with scoops, an aluminum grill, halo headlight modifications, and aftermarket pedals which are ugly and look like crap. Come to think of it, they might be a basis for a theme.... The interior was spray painted same as the hood, and I like the color, but the rest of the car doesn't match it. After I finished the deal, I started it the first time [I know, I know. I could have run him down on foot if necessary, but I don't begrudge a hungry man a large hoagie - or 3], and before I got the hood open, one guy nearby who heard it run told me, "Do some research, that might be a lot more valuable than you think it is. Do some research." He seemed kind of miffed he didn't get the deal instead of me. I originally bought it for a replacement tranny for another Accord, as I believed the internet listing "Auto", but, it isn't, so, it's extra 'inventory', or another daily driver project I don't need.

The 97 Volvo is an auto, I've had it for 3 years, a daily driver in the past, and will be again state inspected as soon as I can replace lower control arm bushings next week. It has the sport setting for the tranny. I also will replace valve stem seals to cut down on oil use. It already passed emissions.

The 01 Maxima is one of the manual models, and the source might have an extra stock engine for dirt cheap.

The Mazda is the Mazda6 [edit: V-6] That might speak for itself - dunno.

The 91 CapriceClassic, 5.0l, a daily driver, would need springs and tighter shocks - right now it's basic springs and basic shocks. On the other hand, I can probably float smoothly over any speed bumps I come across. Stock alloy 15" wheels. Early, so has the flat bottom rear wheel openings, making quick tire/brake changes annoying. A 1-inch dent in LF fender from some guy who didn't see me in the next lane, and because of its age, insurance was going to total it. I took $400 less than offered to keep it a clean title. Body is actually in great shape other than the dent. A body guy told me to not sell it for less than $2k, but those customers are few and far between. Seems slower than the Accord, which is ... unexpected. But 24 mpg on the highway last month, so I can't complain.

Legitimate, documented low cost acquisition and repairs, and most have a couple hundred available room for parts.

Any opinions, guesses, or suggestions you would care to share? On the cars, just the cars.....

Re: Opinion request: Lemons candidates

Caprice will be cheapest on parts, most expensive on consumables and cage tube.

Honda and Mazda will likely be cheapest on consumables (you did not indicate I4 or V6 on the Mazda).

Volvo should have the head gasket and radiator done when you are in there for valve stem seals but really...oil burn is only an issue in Lemons if it is more than a quart per stint.

Maxima is my choice if you can handle the electronics.  Not many of them have run.  That era will litter the junkyards due to rust and the VQ engine is super common.  It is middle of the road on consumables in theory.

I am Volvo nut and if the the 850 was a manual I would have voted for that (still my second choice) but the auto in those is moderately fragile and not many "first gen" FWD Volvo's are the junkyards around here.  the 2001+ cars have very poor crossover of parts at least for the uninitiated.

No matter what, focus on reliability and safety...then handling...then reliability again...then maybe speed.  Forming and keeping a team will be the biggest challenge.  Start with 10 buddies that swear they have time, spousal approval, money and desire to race...you might end with three at the first race.

The Chevy buy far is going to be the cheapest. I'd go rob a junk yard of a police package suspension/brakes and roll. They handle well for a big car.  A simple cam swap, headers, ditch all the emissions and you'll have a good running machine. I'll wager you can drop 1000+ lbs of the thing too.  I'd try and grab a newer set of rims, the tire options for 15's isn't great. The later 90's versions have 16's.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

I'd go with the Accord or Caprice.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Another vote for the Cappy.  But we race a '75 LTD, so anything else seems like a good race car. 

Gut out every ounce of weight that isn't needed to pass tech.  It should be a frame, a cage, and a skeleton of a body.  Losing 100 lbs of weight is like getting a 10 HP bump.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

mechimike, is the track wide enough for a '75 LTD to pass a '91 Caprice? I'd hate to hold anybody up....

BTW, I suggest you may now name your Landau "Martin".

More info is needed on the Mazda 6.  I-4 or V6?  The 2.3L I-4 is a darn reliable engine, so if you put the chassis on a diet, add an LSD, I think it would be a good candidate.

The Accord might be OK as well, but sounds like the history may be suspect.

The Caprice will be hell on consumables being it's heavy as a dump truck.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

mechimike, is the track wide enough for a '75 LTD to pass a '91 Caprice? I'd hate to hold anybody up....

BTW, I suggest you may now name your Landau "Martin".

We've actually gone 3 wide into turns at CMP with the Landau.  It's surprisingly tossable...for a mid-70's full-size 4000 pound 19 foot long behemoth.

We've tossed around "Landau Calrissian" as a name.  Even gave it a nice pimp theme at the last race.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

9 (edited by Fishah 2017-08-17 11:39 AM)

A 305 equiped 91 caprice is the least sporty car ever made.

You are much better off finding a 94+ with an LT1.

The 91 305 is a TBI POS with 170hp and no performance pedigree.

LT1 cars are not much more expensive, if at all.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

[Edited OP] Update: Mazda6 is a V-6.

The Accord had a cleaner timing belt cover, as compared to most of the rest of the engine compartment. But I think that would be my next inspection on the engine - that, and looking for any other identifying markings on the engine, intake manifold, and tranny. The oil and coolant looked clean when I first looked.

And yes, the Caprice is massive. Three people and a cat live in the trunk.

Fishah wrote:

Agreed about the power, though that's the least of my concerns with this endeavor. I've driven it two years now, and it is clearly spacious and cruises nicely on the highway.

I got a replacement trunk lid with a whip antenna from a junkyard for $20. Endlessly entertaining when the HID lights on the super-hot Audis and Porsches in the passing lane first dip abruptly, then pace me for a while until they can see my left shoulder, and then leave...

Then there's the Roadmaster wagon in SF with the LT1 and the posi on the 'for sale' thread....

Use the Caprice as your tow vehicle. 
Honda parts are cheap and can be found in every wrecking yard in the US.
And, when you need to go get replacement parts,  the Caprice can fit everything in the trunk.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

Including the Accord....

I'd like to take a moment to thank everybody who has responded to my request for suggestions, and anyone else who might consider a response in the future.

There's a boatload of good information in each of the responses, and it is immediately clear that this group is generous with their help and creativity.

15 (edited by OnkelUdo 2017-08-18 02:48 AM)

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

I'd like to take a moment to thank everybody who has responded to my request for suggestions, and anyone else who might consider a response in the future.

There's a boatload of good information in each of the responses, and it is immediately clear that this group is generous with their help and creativity.

You won't find a better group of folks than the racers, crew and hangers on at a Lemons race. 

Unless you are a total asshat on the track, you will find folks showing up in your paddock anytime you are working on the car offering tools, parts, good and bad advice.  I and others have even loaned parts from their DD to get their competitors back on track.  In one case we loaned a random spare part to a team that won our class even though at the time we were only a few laps down from them.

In short, we just want more morons like us out there turning laps and will do almost anything to facilitate that.

Fishah wrote:

True however that 170 can be bumped to well over 225 without much effort.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

OnkelUdo wrote:

You won't find a better group of folks than the racers, crew and hangers on at a Lemons race. 

Unless you are a total asshat on the track, you will find folks showing up in your paddock anytime you are working on the car offering tools, parts, good and bad advice.  I and others have even loaned parts from their DD to get their competitors back on track.  In one case we loaned a random spare part to a team that won our class even though at the time we were only a few laps down from them.

In short, we just want more morons like us out there turning laps and will do almost anything to facilitate that.

No doubt.  Lemons is like one big crazy family.  We race each other hard on the track, but if someone needs help, they don't have to go far to get it.   We too have loaned parts to competitors, and have borrowed parts from others.  I've never personally seen anyone ask for help that didn't get it, no matter the circumstance.

Sounds like Lemon_Newton-Metre will fit in well with all of us here.

Welcome to the madness!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!