Re: Corvette build thread!

Tiptoe the rat wrote:

As always I'm too busy in life to do everything I want to do...but we DID get some more work done on our vette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebKpseE … e=youtu.be

Most of the body is black now...almost time for the cage.

You might want to re-think the black... sitting in a black car on a sunny hot day is NOT fun.  Plus is is no fun for your spotter(s) either.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Mr.Yuck wrote:
Tiptoe the rat wrote:

As always I'm too busy in life to do everything I want to do...but we DID get some more work done on our vette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebKpseE … e=youtu.be

Most of the body is black now...almost time for the cage.

You might want to re-think the black... sitting in a black car on a sunny hot day is NOT fun.  Plus is is no fun for your spotter(s) either.

The team voted...so its back in black! 

Anyone who has seen any of my race cars KNOWS its going to have colors on it other then black...stay tuned.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Hello again!  Real life called and thus I have not been able to do a ton of work on our Vette recently, nor upload any more videos.

But the last time we met at the shop I tore the last of the unneeded wiring out of the car, so it was FINALLY time to re install the harness.  Keep in mind I tested it BEFORE I tied it back in the car all nice and neat.  I got to about the middle of the car when I decided that I should check the car one more time JUST to make sure I had good ground and...nothing.  It cranks but it doesn't light up!   We start to poke and prod and we find that we have no injector spray.   In the end we ran out of time and had to call it a night before I figured out the issue.

A few days later one of my helpers calls with an unrelated car question and he also let me know that...he wasn't 100% sure he re connected the main power wire to the distributor when he did the tune up that day...DOH!!   Oh well atleast we know right?

We fixed our biggest oil leaks, tuned up our engine and soon its off to the cage shop to get it safe.

In the meantime, I scored on a set of 4th Gen Camaro rims for the car, and I managed to sell off both headlight motors for $40 each.

So we are getting closer to being legit to Lemons this thing...still not there yet.

Starting price $1000
Gauge panel -40
headlights -80
Scrap alluminium -40
Scrap copper -40
change found in car -2.35
Right side speaker sold - 20

Still need to loose 277.65 in money....or bring A LOT of cheese curds and Sprecher to our first race.

Judges?!?!?

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015

Not that it really matters, nor does this rule seem to ever be applied as it's written...but:

4.7: Scavenger Sales: If you sell pieces off of your car, the money that comes back in can be used to offset the initial purchase price. (This only applies to stuff that counts toward the $500 total; the sale of exempt items–like wheels, glass, etc.–can NOT be used to offset the initial purchase price.) Just be prepared to convince some exceedingly skeptical judges of the validity of all those transactions.

So since things like the gauge panel, headlights, speakers, etc. wouldn't count towards the budget, they can't be deducted from it either.

ross2004 wrote:

Not that it really matters, nor does this rule seem to ever be applied as it's written...but:

4.7: Scavenger Sales: If you sell pieces off of your car, the money that comes back in can be used to offset the initial purchase price. (This only applies to stuff that counts toward the $500 total; the sale of exempt items–like wheels, glass, etc.–can NOT be used to offset the initial purchase price.) Just be prepared to convince some exceedingly skeptical judges of the validity of all those transactions.

So since things like the gauge panel, headlights, speakers, etc. wouldn't count towards the budget, they can't be deducted from it either.

The bits that Tiptoe is selling off are not considered safety items, so they should still count toward the car's total cost.

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

We don't need gauges to race!!   I know this...TWO different cars I have raced have had total gauge failure...neither of them mine!   

ANYWAYS  I'm trying to be as legit as I can.  Seems I might have reached too far with this one...but we still have some time before our first race.  I'm planning on selling the glass and wheels ANYWAYS because...well what am I going to do with them??  But I know I can't claim those against our $1000 we started with.

Looks like I have sold the window switches for $10 each....every bit counts I guess!!

Maverick74 wrote:

The bits that Tiptoe is selling off are not considered safety items, so they should still count toward the car's total cost.

4.2.1: Beside the items and processes listed in Section 3, the following are considered safety-related and therefore exempt:
Driver comfort & information (steering wheel, shifter, gauges, pedals, cool suits, vents, heaters, radio)

Not the way I read it.

I sold our headlights buckets for BIG bucks, motor went for $40ish. Door locks switches, hatch release, plastic parts go for decent money.

Besides our Camaro I have also helped a few other teams build various Lemons cars over the years. 

Thanks to some of them I have become a believer in taking out...ALL the wiring in a car before you race it, and that is what I did today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZAcqmX … e=youtu.be

Pain the in the butt, but worth it I thinks.

35 (edited by Tiptoe the rat 2017-09-10 07:15 AM)

I rebuilt the calipers yesterday.  The video doesn't do it justice, the brake fluid was more like pond scum then brake fluid!  But after I got all that crap out of it then they cleaned up nice.  Braided lines from russel, Castrol fluid, and yes...Hawk brake pads.  We will see, but that SHOULD do us for getting the car to stop.

We also put the nose back on the car as well, all the lights pulled out of it and the ducts are installed as well. 

Next step is to pull out the tranny and see...why its so hard to shift the thing, then its cage time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy5a-NBhm6Y&t=1s

I got a nice package from HAWK today.  So I have some race spec pads for our new hotrod.  At the moment we are sticking with the stock brakes  with race pads and braided lines...that should work...right?????

Also we managed to sell off the front parking lights for $40.   Not bad at all,  but we are STILL upside down on this build.  I want to plug up all the holes in the nose and the tail of the car, but again we need to keep it cheap.  But it also has to be light...no money for  space age materials, so we went the other way.  Not space age, stone age.

WOOD!!

They use wood in the C5, so it makes PERFECT sense to me to use wood in our C4R 

Pics to come soon.

Tiptoe the rat wrote:

I got a nice package from HAWK today.  So I have some race spec pads for our new hotrod.  At the moment we are sticking with the stock brakes  with race pads and braided lines...that should work...right?????

Also we managed to sell off the front parking lights for $40.   Not bad at all,  but we are STILL upside down on this build.  I want to plug up all the holes in the nose and the tail of the car, but again we need to keep it cheap.  But it also has to be light...no money for  space age materials, so we went the other way.  Not space age, stone age.

WOOD!!

They use wood in the C5, so it makes PERFECT sense to me to use wood in our C4R 

Pics to come soon.

We picked up a c5/c6 brake kit from bigbrakeupgrade.com works great. Our Splitter is made of wood and our air dam is standard Home-Depot bought metal. We were using Hawks on the stock disc's now using Wilwood up front because we couldn't get the Raybestos pads we wanted in time. Try and sell the seats, door pads, arm rests...anything. Stock aircleaner assemblies go for good money if they are clean.
http://i64.tinypic.com/jslr2x.jpg

Yes!  Exactly what I was thinking of!   Fiberglass, wood, bits of plastic all good!!   Iron and steel bad!!

Nose is done...ish....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6swkIN … e=youtu.be

Keep it up.. what are you going to do about the exhaust?

Mr.Yuck wrote:

Keep it up.. what are you going to do about the exhaust?

Funny enough the guy that owned it before me put a nice new Y pipe on it and deleted the mufflers...so...

I think I'm going to cut out the cat (for the scrap money)  and weld a muffler in its place...then done.

Side pipes for next year. ;-)

Another update!  So we were sitting at 277.65 in value...and THEN I sold the rear hatch shocks for 20, all the window switches for 15 and the rear wing for 150.   So we are down to 90.65....I think.  I'm trying to be legit as possible.  Also I REALLY want to do a few things to the car so being under 500 would be even better.

The bar for a Lemons Corvette has REALLY been raised with that C3....so we wanna bring it with our C4.

Also a LOT of the fiberglass in the underside of the car is all cracked up...my Dad found out that JB weld works even better then rosin to patch up those holes...I think now would be a great time to buy stock in said company!

More videos to come next weekend, later.

Matt Rat.

So sadly we seem to have LOST a bunch of the video from the last time we worked on the Corvette.   But I did save a few small clips for the folks following us.

This last time we pulled apart the rear suspension...to get to the rear diff.  Check out just how much of the rear diff is part of the suspension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewOHo9ULyt0

So unlike most cars, you can't just pull off the cover to get to the diff, need to pull the rear spring, tie rod ends, lower control arms, etc...  THEN lower the diff out of the car and THEN you can split it.   Wasn't too bad, the fluid looked like road tar though...VERY lemony.

While that was going on I decided to replace the busted O2 sensor (exhaust leak!!  doesn't count!!)  and I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpXjmANBsZQ

Not super shocking though, the ENTIRE CAR looked like this, so I have pretty much been re wiring the whole thing.  Looking back I'm shocked I was able to drive it home.  Not so shocked at how much didn't work on the car now...my guess is if I had sorted the wiring right from the start, the seats, gauges, etc..would have been fine.

Oh well! 

Thanks for watching/reading.

Thanks for sharing Matt! Glad to see the car coming together. You're doing a much better job of documenting your build than I am. Looking forward to seeing how she runs!

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

Pulled the tranny today...wanted to look at the clutch, it was toast, furthermore only TWO bolts were installed on the thing...sheesh.   The oil pan was leaking so we pulled that as well and got another surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAiIsXz … e=youtu.be

Baffled oil pan, windage tray, multiple bolts holding the transmission together? OMG cheaters! tongue

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

Is a racing clutch considered safety equipment...

What people can't see will still make them walk in left hand circles for a week.

If you are making enough RAW POWER to need a race clutch, I'm willing to bet some other part of your car is going to set off enough warning bells for a judge.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Guildenstern wrote:

What people can't see will still make them walk in left hand circles for a week.

If you are making enough RAW POWER to need a race clutch, I'm willing to bet some other part of your car is going to set off enough warning bells for a judge.

"race clutch" is typically used for drag racing. Not sure I'd want to use one for road course. We are using a cheap, but made in USA clutch/plate kit. No issues. This isn't IMSA you shouldn't be power shifting or using your trans to slow down.

its a zoom clutch from rock auto boys...calm down.