Topic: Harvey flood cars

Any guidelines here?  I know of a flooded Ford GT.

Pucker Factor Racing #85 '91 Nissan Sentra SE-R (no, not a ex-SE-R Cup car)

Re: Harvey flood cars

Get it cheap because someone will pay Jay to claim it just for the story.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

don't think it's going to be cheap, but good luck.  after Sandy there were all sorts of nice cars that were flood damaged beasts racing against others true rusted out hulks.  Kind of an unfair advantage.  Now that being said the judges were giving them laps to try and make things a bit even.

On the radio today they were talking about flood-damaged cars.  The fellow they interviewed said "A new car that's been on a flood is basically like a television that's been dropped in a bathtub- you don't want it."

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

We will see how well flooded cars work at the CMP race.  I think that they all are going to be flooded there.

Mock Grass Racing                                                                     Slower Traffic, Keep Right
2017 - Introduction of the Kia Amanti; 2016 - Killed the Car at WRL
2015 - 4 Races, finished all; 2014 - Barber, Blew 2 Engines; CMP, Class C winner
2013 - CMP, Blew engine; CMP, Engine Overheated 2012 - CMP, FInished; CMP, Blew Engine

I unknowingly bought a fairly low miles flood car.  It was cheap because the engine made an odd knock/ticking noise from deep inside.  Ended up pulling the engine.  Flipped it over, pulled the pan and found the #1 rod had a chicane bent into the middle of it.  The ticking noise was the crank throw whacking the piston skirt every time around.  The chicane had shortened the rod enough to cause the interference.  Replaced the rod and piston then all was good.  It must have been running when they drove it into water and hydraulic-ed it.  Other than weird electrical stuff that happened from time to time, the rusted dash supports and the transmission that failed a year later, it was a decent car.  Trans shop call transcript - "WTF did this trans come out of, a submarine?  Everything steel is rusted inside"

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

The Ford GT owner was given $300k settlement.  I'd have to sell everything but one wheel to down to $500. Are unicycles allowed?

Pucker Factor Racing #85 '91 Nissan Sentra SE-R (no, not a ex-SE-R Cup car)

I know where there is a 2002 Honda Accord, interior was flooded but not hydro locked.  I am also in the process of acquiring a 1987 BMW 325i convertible that the owner was just going to haul away, just needs a new top.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

Fresh water flood- maybe. Salt water- no way.

10 (edited by ninjacoco 2017-09-18 09:20 PM)

Ehhhhh, I'm pretty sure someone brought a flood-totalled Mini (new one) to an early MSR-Houston race and got pwn'd by penalty laps. Technically, they got it under the budget cap, but it's not in the spirit of the race. Normal Lemons fare, though? You're probably OK.

Wanna bring a Ford GT? Prepare to set a new record for penalty laps given.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!

The cost of tires alone!!!

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Not all the flood cars here actually went swimming. As in the tires got wet but insurance companies are totaling anything in question.

Flood cars get a Non-Repair Title so they can not be put back on the road but you could turn one into a racer.

I would not buy a modern car that went swimming unless I knew water did not really get into the electronics.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z