Topic: E30 Questions

Ok, here it goes....

I might be acquiring a 1987 325i convertible.  The car is in good shaped for being 30 years old except for the vinyl window in the top has lost its stitching in one corner.  Other than fixing that, is there any other things I might want to look at/replace?  I am think about making this my daily until the wheels fall off and then maybe it might see the track.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

Re: E30 Questions

That is a vague and open-ended question.

You could do bushings (suspension and shift), timing belt, brake lines and pads, and change transmission and differential fluids if they have not been done recently. Could upgrade headlights, shifter, suspension, seats, etc.

Great cars - HP mods not worth it usually but seats / suspension / shifter do a lot for enjoyableness.

-Robert, Party Sheep Racing
The Jerry Lundegaard GMAC Financing Award, Joliet 2013 [Cutlass Ciera w/ Iron Duke]
Eta E30: IL Fall '15, MI Spring '16, IL Summer '16, MI Spring '17, KY '17, MI Summer '21, KY '21, MI Summer '21, MI Fall '22

thanks for the info, right now, besides the top and fluids, would love to covert it to 5 lug.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

Overrated IMO. Plenty of aftermarket wheels and brakes to mitigate the need for it.

-Robert, Party Sheep Racing
The Jerry Lundegaard GMAC Financing Award, Joliet 2013 [Cutlass Ciera w/ Iron Duke]
Eta E30: IL Fall '15, MI Spring '16, IL Summer '16, MI Spring '17, KY '17, MI Summer '21, KY '21, MI Summer '21, MI Fall '22

SwarlesInCharge wrote:

Overrated IMO. Plenty of aftermarket wheels and brakes to mitigate the need for it.

X2

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

Replace the motor mounts.  Early m20's have a radiator hose right near the alternator.  If the motor mounts are shot, the engine will rock and the alternator will nibble at that hose until you have a nice coolant leak on your hands.  +3 on not needing 5 lug.  Lots of effort with nearly no return.

30 entries since 2009
#39 & #53 Overengineer'd Racing - Wilton, NH
http://www.facebook.com/nhlemons

Thanks for the input.  One of the guys on my team is a resident BMW fanatic and he did check the motor mounts, they appear to have been recently replaced, thankfully.  After doing research, I agree with ditching the 5-lug conversion.  I am still waiting to hear on what my relatives will be doing with he car.  I was helping them clean out my aunt and uncle's house from Harvey, they were just going to pay to haul it off.  Me, being the person I am told them I would take it, considering I have a 15 year old son that is wanting to drive (after he gets his Eagle rack for Boy Scouts).  The only water that got in was from the rear window where the stitching is gone.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod