Re: Intro & a few n00b (car choice) questions

I think you should put together a reliable, safe car, then worry about a silly theme...

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

^^ this.

First make it a safe car, than a reliable car, then worry about theme and fast.  Many first time teams either don't make it to their first race because they didn't finish getting the car together or show up with it no where near ready for tech.  If you can't pass tech you paid a bunch of extra money to spend the weekend building the car.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

28 (edited by fschlottau 2017-09-24 12:20 PM)

I'll throw in my experience here:

My first year a few friends (none of which had ever been on track, and one of which who didn't know how to drive stick) invited me to help them build and drive a car (E30 325E). Since I instruct for one of the BMWCCA groups, I got them all on track for 20min or more to get them used to the track, how to behave, etc. THIS BY ITSELF gave them an advantage over about 30-45% of the rest of the field. Keep in mind - during the rookie meeting ~100-150 hands went up when they asked "who has never been on a track before?"... Having said that, if you can, get your fellow drivers through an HPDE with instructor - it helps.
We had a well maintained car, original shocks, good theme, not over the top, and focussed on safety, fun, meet ppl, and race (in that order). The only repair during the race was patching a coolant hose that broke part way through Sunday, and that was all (cut off the offending inch, reconnected, kept going)

My wife saw how much fun we were having, and easily convinced me that we should build our own car. I got a model I'm familiar with (BMW 318ti) for $200. Car had been "slow-speed" crashed on front right and required some pulling to straighten it. We did this ourselves, but with the BMW specific frame diagram in hand with the 318ti strung between a couple of BMWs, a 90's Cadillac, some ground anchors and an F-150. We did use hydraulics for most of the un-bending, but still, figure out as you go. We then spent the next 15-20 weekends replacing wear parts (control arm bushings, strut bearings, ball joints, tie rods, etc with Rockauto or BMW parts where deemed important), installing race-parts, and ended up with a $450 car that still has a few things that could be improved, but would last the entire race at BFE-GP. To your question on another thread - I use the Bentley/TIS manuals so I know I'm not prematurely damaging something, but there are many situations where you're "making it up as you go" b/c there is no manual - see DIY frame alignment, seat and harness install (b/c every licensing body has slightly different angles, etc)

We were very picky about our team and interviewed a few folks we knew would be interested before picking our partners in crime. Worked out well, but be sure you know what your team mates are in it for. If there is a big discrepancy, re-evaluate. (Fun? Win? Show everyone how  it's done? Hang out with fun ppl, eat food and, oh yeah, race?) 

We also wanted to make sure everyone had some time at the wheel, so we did 30-45min stints, or however the driver felt.  Will probably go longer next time.

All this was good for top 20 overall. No injuries, etc. We were  very happy with that result.

If you happen to be in CO, feel free to ping me to look at the car and get better insight to what we did.

Cheers!

PS: Also, check out the welcome by Jay https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0qKY9byvKY  Sums it up nicely

29 (edited by SwarlesInCharge 2017-09-24 05:33 PM)

TheEngineer wrote:

So if you show up with an e30, you're going in A until you prove you're not good at all.

Eh, we have proven we have no chance of being competitive and they keep sticking us there. But the E30 is fun and reliable, even if the fuel pump keeps us stints to an hour tops. I guess they'd never know until too late if we decide to get our act together.

The biggest issue we have is every time we go through BS, the judges ask when we are bringing the Iron Duke powered Cutlass Ciera back. (It is in Seattle and I want to race it again but the owner is busy with life...)

BoB wrote:

^^ this.

First make it a safe car, than a reliable car, then worry about theme and fast.  Many first time teams either don't make it to their first race because they didn't finish getting the car together or show up with it no where near ready for tech.  If you can't pass tech you paid a bunch of extra money to spend the weekend building the car.

Or... buy a safe & reliable car with a theme already. Once a junker has been raced a few times, the weak links are replaced and better than starting from scratch! We got a car off some kids front lawn and spent a year building it ourselves, but then only drove half the weekend because the tank was full of rust and clogged the injectors. Over the new two years, we would have fun racing but find new problems to solve. If we bought a sorted out one, we'd be better off (but learning is also part of the experience).

I know someone who has raced in this and would be a good first LeMon: https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=35468

Or this: https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=34870

Or this: https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=35569

Alternatively, if you want something big and epic: https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=35501 Buy this package, sell the Miata and cage the Caprice. Yes, it's more than $500 but with something ridiculous like that... no one would care.

Lemons is a different things to different people. Some are serious and have lots of spares and have big fuel cells to do long stints and are very organized (and lucky) to win. Some just want to get seat time in cheap wheel to wheel and out there to go moderately fast. Some are there for the social scene and camaraderie. And then there's the souls unique to Lemons who want to build the craziest thing or bring the most unreliable car and go for IoE. If you don't like pitch-ins and walking the paddock to meet others as much as you like racing, there's other more serious organizations but they won't have the same entertainment of a sideways VW or M50-powered Geo Metros. Don't go for the high ropes course to start or you might shoot yourself in the foot and be miserable about it... check it out, buy a pre-built ready-to-race, then after you experience it and see what everyone get has, go full on stupid with a engine swap and body swap build.

-Robert, Party Sheep Racing
The Jerry Lundegaard GMAC Financing Award, Joliet 2013 [Cutlass Ciera w/ Iron Duke]
Eta E30: IL Fall '15, MI Spring '16, IL Summer '16, MI Spring '17, KY '17, MI Summer '21, KY '21, MI Summer '21, MI Fall '22