Topic: "Cheapest" wheel you have raced on.

We have been running a used set of "ASA" wheels from a Miata on our MK3 VW. They were super cheap locally and sold on tirerack. I'm sure they are from some larger cheapo chinese wheel maker, then branded as "ASA" for tirerack.

Anyone ever race on the even sketchier amazon/ebay wheels that are $80 a piece brand new?

Re: "Cheapest" wheel you have raced on.

We have been running the cheap ebay wheels for a while now without any issues.
XXRs seem to be common and cheap in the offset we need.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

3 (edited by Red Lemons Racing 2017-09-18 01:49 PM)

Cheapest, oem steelies  23 bucks apiece  sketchy  nope boat anchors, but damn cheap.

ASA are BBS economy line made for BBS abroad aka China.   Hard to get away from China as they have well a Billion population which makes labor costs in a developing country DIRT cheap. 

I am going to leave the politics out of it as I love a bargain but can't say my house is all made in USA.

we run Corvette "Sawblades" 17x9.5 they are about $200/set or 4

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Red Lemons Racing wrote:

Cheapest, oem steelies  23 bucks apiece  sketchy  nope boat anchors, but damn cheap.

Steelies or cheap OEM alloys on American economy cars.  Most expensive...one-year-only, unloved model and sold terribly GM minivan wheels only available with top trim AND the wheel and tire package.  I think those were almost $50 each.

XXRs are perfect for us. Cheap, strong, light, good sizes. We run 15x8s

Takata R&D :: 1993 Accord - team captain - rear drum brakes lol
GoPro 360 Heros :: BMW E28  - co-captain

I've just ran on oem.  We have run Steelies but it seemed that they would hold in a lot of heat which negatively impacted tire and brake life.  The rest have been bought off ebay from various other gm cars

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Bought a set of 4 Drag DR-56 from Discount Tire for $112 after rebates. After everything we have put them through they have held up great. We ended up buying 3 more sets. As a bonus we have sold a set CL for $300.

Nuthin' but a Z Thang -  1976 Datsun 280Z

When the original wheels on the race car started breaking we just ran home mid-race and grabbed what was available.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2819/9399174487_dd0329d052.jpg

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

I just went to Pull-A-Part and bought eight steel wheels that fit, and had back-sets that were reasonable close together.   I then had the tire shop put the four new tires on the least-bent wheels and the old ones on the worst wheels.   Never had a problem with them.   I think the wheels cost me roughly $10 each.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

We've raced on stock steelies before, worked great, no problems.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

Steel Camry wheels fit a Previa, $100/set.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

CPT_Trans_Continental wrote:

Steel Camry wheels fit a Previa, $100/set.

Yeah,but what kind of idiot races a Previa??

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Both our race cars and trailer have 5x4.5 bolt pattern....  Nuff said.

This space for rent.

Ive raced on used $20 firebird wheels...AND those cheap crager stock car wheels that are $50 each for new.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

‘GoodRide” tires are a thing.   LoL

This space for rent.

Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Editions have really nice 15x7 Enkeis in 4x4.5" if that happens to be your bolt pattern of choice, as it is for the Scoupe

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

We ran some of those cheap OEM Mercedes W123 aluminum wheels I had laying around the shop on our first Lemons car, a Volvo 122.  The 122 used a 5 x 4.5 (114.3mm) bolt pattern, and the W123 wheels seemed to fit OK...

Then, one day, we started breaking wheels.  Couldn't figure out why...until I did some digging and found out that the W123 used a 5 x 112mm bolt pattern- 2.3 mm different than the Volvo.  We went out and bought some American Racing "wagon wheels" and never had another problem.

TL;DR: make sure you have the right bolt pattern, and not one that's "really close".

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

We've raced multiple years on the chinese ANDROS wheels. Very lightweight and strong for the money. Never had a single problem, and they have been hit pretty hard at times. You can sometimes pick them up used on eBay and Craigslist for super cheap.

#9 Audi CQ Scooby Doo Car known as the Mystery Machine, #44 Audi 4KQ painted as a tribute car to the 1989 IMSA  car driven by Haywood, Stuck, and Rohrl, and the #95 Audi TT Lightning McQueen.

Bought blems on ebay for around $40 each, used free stock aluminums, and $20 D windows.  No issues so far.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

As far as new wheels go, Kosei K1's worked great and weren't too expensive for how light they were. Too bad they seem to be out of stock in 14" sizes.

I think we'll start buying up Miata daisies. You have to cut out the center to mount them on a Sentra, but they work damn well, and cost next to nothing.

K Car Stalker