Topic: Rt-66 Rally!

How much will be on the historical layout? And Does anyone want to do it with me?

66 is a bucket-list road for me.

Ideal would be someone in CA who could take the crap car when we're done and I could Fly home.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Re: Rt-66 Rally!

Do it like the rest of us. Round trip!  We've got a couple guys who have never been to Oregon or Washington so we're probably taking the long way home.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

I don't really have the time for the trip out much less back.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

Buy car in Illinoise.  Drive Rt 66.  List car on CL during the rally.  Sell in CA. Fly home

Is this the part where I'm supposed to type "Profit"?

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

mechimike wrote:

Buy car in Illinoise.  Drive Rt 66.  List car on CL during the rally.  Sell in CA. Fly home

Is this the part where I'm supposed to type "Profit"?

Usually there's a ??? before the profit, but close enough.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

So with an Ohio license buy an Il car on zero notice with no time to give it a once over, and get an Il plate and reg. Drive to CA hope someone bites on the way to CA. then try to again with an Ohio license, sell the Il titled and registered car in under a day on a weekend in Southern California and get home for work on Monday.

That's cutting it a bit too close personally. I'd rather hand the thing off to a known local party and be done with it. I've NEVER made a successful sale on craigslist. Never even gotten any scam calls or anything. Craigslist exists as a one way street for me.

Guildenstern wrote:

So with an Ohio license buy an Il car on zero notice with no time to give it a once over, and get an Il plate and reg. Drive to CA hope someone bites on the way to CA. then try to again with an Ohio license, sell the Il titled and registered car in under a day on a weekend in Southern California and get home for work on Monday.

That's cutting it a bit too close personally. I'd rather hand the thing off to a known local party and be done with it. I've NEVER made a successful sale on craigslist. Never even gotten any scam calls or anything. Craigslist exists as a one way street for me.

You could buy something local to you, prep it and leave it with someone in the Chicago area until the rally. Just an option to eliminate one step of uncertainty.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

I've had better luck with ebay.

Another option would be to just scrap it at the end

I'm interested in participating. Just have to convince the wife.

rlchv70 wrote:

Just have to convince the wife.

Yep, that's the most difficult part of the Rally.  Driving 3000 miles in a POS is a piece of cake in comparison.

1983 Mercedes 300D: Das Blaue Biest - Car Weeeeak 2017 Rally.
1995 Ford Thunderbird: The Turdbird - Car Weeeeak 2018 Rally
2006 Ford Crown Vic: 5150Vicky - 2018 Gambler 500 Rallys
IG: lamborgotti_fasterossa

rlchv70 wrote:

Your vows state "for better or worse", just tell her this is the worse part

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

cabinboy wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

You could buy something local to you, prep it and leave it with someone in the Chicago area until the rally. Just an option to eliminate one step of uncertainty.

Sure, that was probably part of the plan. Especially If I couldn't pawn off parking it at a friends house before the event. (i'm at capacity at my place unless my Miata finally returns to the rusted earth from which it came.)

My big concern is abandoning a car 3,000 miles away with my name on the title. Scrap could work. but would still require some form of local assistance to discard and get to hotel/Airport. I just figured someone in SoCal may be interested in flying up to drive down. Which would be nice and clean and easy. One signature, one notary, and I can work on my Deep Vein Thrombosis packed into a too small for a transcontinental flight 737 steerage seat.

Guildenstern wrote:

My big concern is abandoning a car 3,000 miles away with my name on the title.

I would have thought this would be far less concerning than abandoning one in a local jurisdiction.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

No because out of state usually waits until the fines rack way up before reaching out. Then its super sucky.

CPT_Trans_Continental wrote:
rlchv70 wrote:

For some of us, this is the "better" part.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

mechimike wrote:
CPT_Trans_Continental wrote:
rlchv70 wrote:

For some of us, this is the "better" part.

BTDT! Finished the first rally with the Mrs as co-pilot, using her daily driver. Will likely do same on Rt66...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Guildenstern wrote:

Anyone thinking of this route, I have virtually unlimitted outdoor parking at my place 30 minutes from Chicago and about 50 minutes from Joliet.

I also a and excellent rally car in need of a bit of work but I can't do the Rt 66 one since it crosses over a month-end closing period.  Someone could convince me to loan it out BUT they would have to help me get it ready.

Finally, I am literally the king of the <$1500 DD beaters.  I pick up 2-3 a year and get the reliable for friends and families in need of disposable, usually short term transportation.  Ass soon as the October race is over I need to get one more for a neighbor and then I am open to "orders".  Keep in mind, I probably can't register it here (emissions required for all post-1976 gas and post-1984 diesel) and certainly not in my name.

OnkelUdo wrote:

Anyone thinking of this route, I have virtually unlimitted outdoor parking at my place 30 minutes from Chicago and about 50 minutes from Joliet.

I also a and excellent rally car in need of a bit of work but I can't do the Rt 66 one since it crosses over a month-end closing period.  Someone could convince me to loan it out BUT they would have to help me get it ready.

Finally, I am literally the king of the <$1500 DD beaters.  I pick up 2-3 a year and get the reliable for friends and families in need of disposable, usually short term transportation.  Ass soon as the October race is over I need to get one more for a neighbor and then I am open to "orders".  Keep in mind, I probably can't register it here (emissions required for all post-1976 gas and post-1984 diesel) and certainly not in my name.

I may take you up on that parking offer. Possibly in both directions. I'm working a gigantic mega-engineswap in my 2017 Moscow/Paris Subaru, and it's going to be a keeper, so I have to bring it home at the end... from CA to MD.

Of course, if I don't finish in time (I'm trying to be finished by Moscow 2018...) I'll just scrap whatever nightmare I end up buying and fly all the way home.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

If the rally goes by Holbrook Arizona, near the Petrified Forest NP, this should be the official Lemons hotel:
http://www.galerie-kokopelli.com/wigwam/

https://www.google.com/maps/place/811+W … 10.1688354

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

19 (edited by Spank 2017-10-09 08:55 AM)

I can likely help be a catcher's net for cars that need to be left in SoCal (San Diego/Escondido). I certainly don't need any more cars. But I have the means to temporarily store cars and facilitate vehicle donation centers or other Lemons teams to come get them.

There's also a bed and some couches and a bit of floorspace as well as a kitchenette currently available for those who need to stay an overnight or three.

Think of it as a sort of Lemons halfway house for cars and their occupants.

I've been wanting to do Rt-66 for a while, so I'm definitely going. Remains to be seen exactly which vehicle gets used and whether I'll have any copilots or co-vehicles, but my vague plan is to run my '64 Valiant wagon for the whole round trip from Houston and back.

I'm gonna need to start saving up vacation days.

I have no problem convincing my wife that I'm nuts.

She waves goodbye when I head out on these fun trips. And welcomes me back home when I return. It don't get any better.

As far as following the historical Route 66....well, I hope the checkpoints are near the Route. And if they are not, I intend to drive it, anyways.

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.

So then do you want to meet in Chicago and do the 66? Because I still need someone at the finishing end to dump a car on then fly home.

And Pay for half the stuff.

My current rough plan is to buy a car in Northern Indiana, store it at my cohorts place, drive the rally in it, junk it, and fly home.

My current back-up plan is buy a car in Florida, drive to Chicago with a friend, do rally, drive it back to Florida.

Neither one seems profitable, neither one seems intelligent, either one seems like a blast!

Hell On Wheels "Totally Not a Rental Car" Chrysler 300
Retreat From Moscow "Traded a Bar Tab for a Wagon" Subaru Legacy
Monterey Car Weeeeak -Dishonorable Mention- "Cocoa Beach A.S.S. Team" Oldsmobile Wagon
Fail Inc Motorsports Intergalactic Headquarters

Shvd_Box wrote:

My current rough plan is to buy a car in Northern Indiana, store it at my cohorts place, drive the rally in it, junk it, and fly home.

I am at the intersection of all interstates in NWI and a collector of under $1500 car, two time IoE winner and loser that is always surfing CL and its idiot cousin faceboook marketplace for hoopties.  Let me know if you need help.  Current stable of cheap projects is a $1000 rust free 560SEL, $400 1998 Volvo V70, $1000 NB Miata.  My DD and my Renter's DD are also pretty disreputable but I keep them in top running form.

Hey What about CarMAX? They buy anything. Think I could at least make cab faire to LAX? That may work.