Topic: One Hella Busted VW 411 Needs Fixing + Engine Tins ASAP - Austin, TX

Hey! I'm trying to make the MSR Houston race with the Volkswagen 411 that won IOE at Buttonwillow and figured it's bad enough to list in the "on fire..." thread.

Here's the previous post on "oh crap, what am I doing with this car?" and all the work it needs: https://blackflag.jalopnik.com/everythi … 1819153463

It's pooping oil mosrly out the passenger side of the rear, and Corey seems to think there's a rod knock? I've got valve cover gaskets on the way in case it's just that, but he said there might need bearings or a donor.

Does anyone near Austin/San Marcos know aircooled VWs super well? I'm definitely planning on spending my weekend trying to rip into this engine if I can. The car's at Harris Hill. I'm...kinda clueless. Holy crapballs, help?

Re: One Hella Busted VW 411 Needs Fixing + Engine Tins ASAP - Austin, TX

If it really is a rod knock, pulling the plug wires one at a time while idling is going to result in the noise getting a lot quieter when you remove ignition from the offending cylinder. Not that it matters which one it is, just pointing out a quick way to prove that is or isn't the cause of your misery. As for oil leak, valve cover gaskets are super-consumable on type 1 and type 4 motors ( type 3, too, come to think of it)

Swaps? Subaru engine with a manual, as suggested by Jalopnik, isn't lemony enough. This needs a Corvair six with Powerglide.

OMG Racing '94 Benz S500 #140: https://www.facebook.com/pages/OMG-Raci … 2774944199
Judges Choice and Regional Award winner! Chuckwalla '12, Buttonwillow '13, BFE GP '15, Miller '14 & '15, Sonoma '13,'14,'15. Inde '16,17.Finisher of the inaugural Lemons Rally, in the black Jag.... and IOE in the Super Snipe back in '12...look for the #820 Audi back on a track near you in 2017!!

NO SWAPS!!! Unless it's another Type 4 engine. Haha.

There may be a 1.8 type 4 hiding in my garage here in pa.

How to get it to you?

fitsbain wrote:

There may be a 1.8 type 4 hiding in my garage here in pa.

How to get it to you?

Well the Regular Car Reviews guy is always moaning about being bored on Twitter, and he's in PA.

Although he thinks 2 hours is a LONG drive.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL) https://www.facebook.com/groups/MBTLracing/
88 Thunderbird "What's the word? Thunderbird!", "What's the Price? Thirty Twice!"
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

6 (edited by ninjacoco 2017-10-14 09:43 AM)

Haha. Two hours is like, a good run for breakfast down here.

There's always the Lemons delivery system if someone's towing out towards this way. If it runs, I might be interested although TBH I'm a bit short on cash right now. (Because Volkswagen.)

I've got valve cover gaskets on the way right now. The old cork ones were pretty oily like they weren't quite holdin' it in. Holy crap, those are easy to get to on this thing. I like this car already, haha.

It sounds like a rebuild might be in my future, either way. What all do I need to find parts-wise to make that happen?

Good news, everybody! The guy who ran the Type 4-engined Type 3 we had doesn't think it's rod knock. It's rough and there's a butt-ton of blow-by, though, so it's gonna need a rebuild. Time to dig into the engine, I guess.

Dingle ball hone and new rings/bearings?

Command Pilot/Flight Director, Escape Velocity Racing
Index of Effluency, Heroic Fix, Class C Trophy, now hopelessly gunning for Class B.
Currently 1-2 vs. Team Fairlylame in the Class of 1964 Championships