Re: How much is a clean running Trabant worth?

I kinda want one, now.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

rmcdaniels wrote:

Something about the suspension would have to change, I can't imagine that a lot of positive camber in the rear is conducive to good handling.

The way the suspension is set up will give you a nice negative camber in the back when you lower it. There's nothing you need to do. If you don't want to lower it, there are parts available (or you can make them yourself if you have a lathe) which go in between the body and the inner mounting point of the triangular control arm and change the camber to negative. I suggest lowering it though, for obvious reasons of racing dynamics.

In the front, the upper mounting point of the spindle is the front spring. This means, when the leave spring moves up in an inward curve, camber changes and turns into negative camber with more compression. The lowering springs you can buy are usually a bit shorter than the stock springs to start at negative camber already.

rmcdaniels wrote:

I agree that it needs to be class C speedy. From what nameiner is saying, getting it to go up in the 80's is doable, and the porting cylinders (and piston skirts) makes sense based on my experience with 2-stroke bikes. There are places that port dirt bikes and snowmobiles that could probably re-work the ports, and even if it has to go back to Germany, I'd just have to send the cylinders and pistons, which are pretty light. DHL would have it there in a couple of days for pretty cheap.

There are changes to the crank case necessary too, but if you have a shop that can follow some directions, you can have all the work done here. I will dig up the instructions and bring them over to your place when I come visit this awesome little machine.

rmcdaniels wrote:

The newest addition to Scuderia Duffbirra:

http://www.carolinahondas.com/members/roger-albums-pj-picture6674-trabi1.jpg
http://www.carolinahondas.com/members/roger-albums-pj-picture6673-trabi2.jpg

HOLY CRAP YES

Fixed some stuff and really want to fire it up, but the carburetor has defeated me. I'm pretty sure that the accelerator pump isn't sealing properly somehow, but everything in there looks good to me and it keeps filling the crankcase with fuel whenever I connect the fuel line. I can see where someone has been in it before me bending the float valve actuator around, but it isn't a float valve problem. Looking around the Internet, the answer seems to be a $29 30mm Mikuni knockoff carb from eBay and a $29 carb adapter mount from Trabant Welt, which I have ordered. With the Lemons car show at the Savannah Speed Classic in a couple of weeks, it was time to get the electric car running with its new generator setup anyway. It's time to go REPRESENT!

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!