Topic: VW Passat W8

Have an 03 that's been sitting in my backyard for awhile.  PO told me he ran it w/o coolant and fried the engine.  Main selling point is it's pretty much untouched (down to the factory BBS rims) and is a six speed.  There's a reason I've never seen one of these on that track, I'm sure.  Short of parting it out, what can be done?  Is there any other engine that'll remotely fit in the b5.5 bay and be able to retain the same tranny.

2 (edited by jrbe 2017-10-22 06:32 PM)

Re: VW Passat W8

Head gaskets look fun because of the timing chains (looks like they're in back.) Likely all it really needs besides consumables and all of the plastic stuff that is brittle / can break trying to do head gaskets.

Not sure, but from my quick searching it uses an 01E 6 speed (manual) transmission. If that really is the case, that means 4, 5, 6, and 8 cylinder vw / Audi engines all bolt up, including a vr6 with a funky adapter setup.
If you meant it's an auto transmission, that could get tricky. Pretty sure the trans computer had to talk to the ecu.

Also if I remember right, some of the w8's had rod bearing issues from them being too narrow. Not sure if it was resolved or how it will do under race abuse.

A lot of work no matter which way you look at it.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

jrbe wrote:

Head gaskets look fun because of the timing chains (looks like they're in back.) Likely all it really needs besides consumables and all of the plastic stuff that is brittle / can break trying to do head gaskets.

Not sure, but from my quick searching it uses an 01E 6 speed (manual) transmission. If that really is the case, that means 4, 5, 6, and 8 cylinder vw / Audi engines all bolt up, including a vr6 with a funky adapter setup.
If you meant it's an auto transmission, that could get tricky. Pretty sure the trans computer had to talk to the ecu.

Also if I remember right, some of the w8's had rod bearing issues from them being too narrow. Not sure if it was resolved or how it will do under race abuse.

A lot of work no matter which way you look at it.

I remember watching these guys TWIN engine W8 passat build built in some farm workshop on youtube and I think he cited that not all of the engine internals  (like bearings) were readily available from VAG but there was some crossover with vR6 parts (like cyl head bolts).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT9RJlj … 9VZoX3TZeD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtS9IkDwYY8

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

Yeah, I remember those guys, great vids.  Didn't keep up on it, but as far as longevity goes, I'm pretty sure they "machined" the main bearings w/ a hacksaw and a dremel...  it's been a long time since I've looked into it, but I think the only engine part you could buy below the head gaskets was a shortblock.  I think this engine is more or less two VR4s in one block.  Are they any strictly VW/Audi (late model) teams around and has a w8 ever been entered?  I really don't want to part this thing, would much rather see on track, but holy hell this looks like a nightmare to do anything with.

MasterShake wrote:

Yeah, I remember those guys, great vids.  Didn't keep up on it, but as far as longevity goes, I'm pretty sure they "machined" the main bearings w/ a hacksaw and a dremel...  it's been a long time since I've looked into it, but I think the only engine part you could buy below the head gaskets was a shortblock.  I think this engine is more or less two VR4s in one block.  Are they any strictly VW/Audi (late model) teams around and has a w8 ever been entered?  I really don't want to part this thing, would much rather see on track, but holy hell this looks like a nightmare to do anything with.

I think in the HG video they mentioned that VW dealers (in Canada at least) stocked all the bottom end parts now.

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

Car-part has w8 engines starting at $450 if things with that engine go sideways.

Or buy it, fix it, and drive it.

w8 just a minute...

you have an actual factory 6sp w8???

honestly they are not that difficult to work on in my limited experience. I am currently DDing a $400 passat w8 that I have about $1k into (expensive ass radiator and rad core support!)

if you do part it out, let me know

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

Sure do, and I'll keep ya in mind.

I would be very interested in the transaxle.   I am building a mid-engine corvair with an Audi 4.2 v8.
I'm using a 944s suspension and was planning on modifying the 944S transmission to mate directly with the v8,
which involves some machining of the input shaft.

Last time I checked the tans in the Passat was the same across the range, and is the same one they used in early Boxsters.  Not too hard to find in junk yards and parts houses.
I looked into what it would take to put the Audi V8 in a Boxster, but the power wasn't enough to make it worth it.

Nimble, you should consider an 01X transmission. It's a FWD version of the 01E (used behind the 2.7t engines in Quattros) but can take the power all though the "front" diff. They're in some fwd passat and a few Audi's iirc. Looks like the 01E but with a cover over the center diff area.  http://advancedautomotion.com/shop/prod … ucts_id/29

The 944 transmission is very close to a 4000 Quattro or 016 transmission. An abz v8 bolts up to an 016, that's what's in our 4000 Quattro. Flywheel and clutch get tricky / pricey.

The W8 trans is the same as regular passat?  I gotta assume it is beefier.  The passat trans is relatively weak vs 944s, which is same as 944 turbo.    The 4.2 isn't a big powerhouse, until you add a pair of turbos........  what makes it special is how short it is.   The W8 is probably even shorter?

They made different versions of the trans, but the Boxsters bolted up pretty easy and you can find those that handle the power of the 4.2

Like this
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthrea … 7-Cayman-S

They say that bolting it up is the easy part.  Are you going to try and keep it canbus or are you going to run it on Megasquirt or Haltec?

Firebelly wrote:

They made different versions of the trans, but the Boxsters bolted up pretty easy and you can find those that handle the power of the 4.2

Like this
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthrea … 7-Cayman-S

They say that bolting it up is the easy part.  Are you going to try and keep it canbus or are you going to run it on Megasquirt or Haltec?

Besides the trans, going with a manual I need a flywheel, and that is another custom machined part for the 4.2.  But I think i have that figured out, a vr6 one can be made to work.    Really makes me want to use one of the automatics that came with the engine, but that is too easy!

I will be creating my own fuel injection system, as I need one for a few projects.

It’s for sale, just put it up.

Is the VR6 flywheel 8 bolt?

(I assume VAG only had two bolt patterns for the flywheel/crank interface, 6 and 8 bolt.)

That guy

Pretty sure vr6 is 10 bolt.

Audi v8's have 8 and 10 bolt depending on engine.

Ah. Looking for an 8 bolt deal that will work with a 215mm disc. I have one, but I'd like a spare.

That guy