Topic: mg midget

Rules say 82 in wheelbase and midget has 80 in.   I have a heavily modified midget, so I am very familiar with them,
and there is a 'free' one available that is a stripped shell I am thinking of using.   
The plan here is to make it mid-engine  in the back, so I'd push the rear wheels back and increase the wheelbase,
and put the driver centered in the car up front.   I have a audi transaxle for an engine, the plan is either a rotary
or a 650cc two stroke, converted to direct injection and turbo'd..       

Any chance for tech approval?

Re: mg midget

I believe the Tech Tyrant has said no to stretched wheelbases to meet the rules.  Having said that, if you draw up a detailed plan on exactly how you'd do it (with drawings) and send it to Mr Pagel, you might get approval.  The level of detail you supplied here will result in a summary "No".  Personally, I can't see how you can increase the side impact protection in a midget enough to make me comfortable to get in one.  Yes, I drove the Lemons Spitfire which is a fair bit wider than a midget but always in the back of my mind was "dont spin, dont spin"

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

I believe the Tech Tyrant has said no to stretched wheelbases to meet the rules.  Having said that, if you draw up a detailed plan on exactly how you'd do it (with drawings) and send it to Mr Pagel, you might get approval.  The level of detail you supplied here will result in a summary "No".  Personally, I can't see how you can increase the side impact protection in a midget enough to make me comfortable to get in one.  Yes, I drove the Lemons Spitfire which is a fair bit wider than a midget but always in the back of my mind was "dont spin, dont spin"

Consider driving one on the street with no cage...  the plan is put the driver centered in the middle, so in fact safer than everything else with a driver right against the left side door.     I do already have a Tercel to use, it is almost as light as the midget, just not as cool..

nimblemotorsports wrote:
cheseroo wrote:

Consider driving one on the street with no cage...  the plan is put the driver centered in the middle, so in fact safer than everything else with a driver right against the left side door.     I do already have a Tercel to use, it is almost as light as the midget, just not as cool..

If you are that good at "fab" work, drop the MG shell on the toyota

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Oh no, I missed that line about wheelbase in the rule book! I have midget for sale that would be perfect for Lemons but I guess that body will need to be put on something else or stretched skillfully.

Yeah, it isn't something you would expect, as I've seen mini's running, and they had midgets in the past,
I am not sure of the reasoning of limiting the wheelbase.
In any case, I passed on the free midget.  Almost bought a Honda Insight today for $500,
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d … 54490.html
weights the same as midget, 1800 lbs.  aluminum body and chassis, this car will be challenge for a rollbar.
But decided 15 cars was too many already.  Am planning on doing my Prius now, as it was totally by insurance,
and buyback value was only $250 and still runs great, just a little smashed.

BTW, I have a Suzuki 1.0L 3-cylinder in my 71 Midget.  I am tempted by the V4 honda motor..maybe mate with
the prius transaxle......

nimblemotorsports wrote:

...I've seen mini's running...

My very unofficial understanding is that the only Minis (as opposed to the new MINIs) allowed are those that were already racing and were grandfathered at the time of the rule change, and even so the understanding is that the grandfathering is subject to permanent revocation at any time, including mid-race. There's also a Moke in Lemons, but the Australian-spec Moke (which was marketed in the US) has a factory wheelbase of 82.5", unlike the British-spec Moke which is 79.5".

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Looked into building a Lemons Midget a few years ago myself. Also very familiar
with them. Of all the cars I've owned over the years, my favorite fun beater/driver.
Bought a '64 with the round wheel arch a while ago. Dropped in a 1275cc motor with a mild cam
but needs more work to complete. Someday....

Many folks have installed RX7 or Miata drive trains in these. I'll be they go like stink!

Too bad these have been banned from Lemons although with some of the
tuna boats allowed not sure how safe I'd feel in one.
Steve