Topic: Adjustable seat rails

My co-driver last rally was bit taller than I and he would have preferred the seat in the Kadett go back further than it did. I think if the rear seats weren't folded up, the front seats would be able to slide back further. But regardless, the original seats were not all that comfortable. I have a set of '94-ish chevy Cavalier seats in the shed I was thinking about using in that car, and I have a set of fixed back Sparcos.

What universal rails would you recommend for the Sparcos if I decide to use those? It seems like they may be comfortable enough for the long haul if well adjusted.

Otherwise, the Cavalier seats will be an improvement. Probably.

Next Rally Car: An abandoned 1972 Opel GT (Plan-B: My late grandparent's 1996 Chevrolet Caprice Classic)
Previous Rally Cars: 1971 Opel Kadett, 1988 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24, 1998 Volvo V90 (5.0L), 1965 Ford Galaxie 500 (turbocharged 351W)

Re: Adjustable seat rails

I'm a big fan of XJ Cherokee seats, if you can find them in good shape. The ones out of a two-door have tons of slide as well. I'm 6'2 and if I slide them all the way back I can't quite push the clutch pedal all the way in.
I don't know what the Cadette seats are like, how they mount, or how high off the floor they are, but the XJ seats are fairly low to the floor and just bolt straight down through it. I can't see it being too difficult to get them mounted up, drill some holes, maybe use some blocks to adjust the angle, etc, and run some flat bar stock out to original mounting locations for reinforcement over just bolting straight down to sheet metal. Or get creative with a welder.

Volvo 240 sliders are also dead flat, lots of range and double locking.

OnkelUdo wrote:

Volvo 240 sliders are also dead flat, lots of range and double locking.

I have some Volvo 740 sliders. And I have a full set of Volvo 960 power seats if I want to get fancy. tongue

Next Rally Car: An abandoned 1972 Opel GT (Plan-B: My late grandparent's 1996 Chevrolet Caprice Classic)
Previous Rally Cars: 1971 Opel Kadett, 1988 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24, 1998 Volvo V90 (5.0L), 1965 Ford Galaxie 500 (turbocharged 351W)

i bought a pair of what i think were 2005 honda civic seats. got the pair for $50. butt and back both adjust with a big knob. ugly generic grey color. the rails were easy to mount, but i have a welder. there's a tab with hole at each end, not all in the same plane. simple L brackets were all that was needed.

they were so light i was shocked -- i carried two seats plus my tools out of the junk yard (cuz i was dumb enough to go without the hand truck)