Topic: MSR Potluck 3: The Embaconing

It's that time of year again, folks. Dust off your grills and stoke your smokers, because Texas Lemons is still running a distant 3rd or 4th when it comes to paddock parties, and this simply will not stand.

What are you talking about?
It's a potluck. Bring a food dish to share, sized for a dozen or so people. Could be an entree, side, dessert, or whatever you like to eat or like to make or grabbed your attention on the supermarket shelf on your way to the track that morning. Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we race... or we try to race but the car breaks and we spend all day swapping a transmission or rebuilding the whole brake system or scratching our heads in analysis hell because who thought fuel injection could be so fucking complicated?

When?
Friday, November 10, 2017. Plan to set up at 6 PM. That'll give the judges plenty of time to button up after inspection closes at 5, and you enough time to get your shit put away if you were enough of an overachiever to run the test session.

Where?
The penalty box, also known as the place where you hopefully got your car inspected earlier that day. It's on the north side of the covered paddocks.

What if I can't/don't have time to cook?
Pick up something to-go from a restaurant, grab a side dish from the supermarket, or if all else fails, bring beer. In fact, bring beer anyway because me and Bob spent all our money fixing our cars and can't afford to shell out for a keg this year. If you just can't bring anything, come on out anyway; there's usually food left over.

Should I bring anything besides food and beer?
Glad you asked! If you have an extra folding table, bring it! We could always use more space to put stuff. Chairs are pretty cool, if you like to sit. Maybe a cooler with ice in it, if you're the beer-bringing type. If it ends up being freakishly cold that weekend, stuff like space heaters would be awesome. No open flame under the canopies, though; anything like a fire pit would have to get set up a little further away. My team will volunteer to bring disposable plates and stuff just so we know that's handled ahead of time.

Sounds awesome! Anything else I need to know?
The judges have asked us to make sure we leave the penalty box clean for them, so make sure to take your dishes and whatnot back with you, or make sure someone does. Throw your trash in a trash can, pick up after yourself, etc. The usual.

This sounds like a great idea, but I like to plan ahead. How do we coordinate our efforts?
You can sign up and list what you plan to bring on the Official MSR Potluck Google Doc by clicking the following link! Just add a new line for you or your team.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ … sp=sharing

I look forward to carousing with you all. See you there!

Re: MSR Potluck 3: The Embaconing

Not sure what to bring yet but I am up for this plan.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

I've added the 5 gal corny keg that Ben's brewed just for this race. It's not a LOT of beer (5 gallons, or 40-50 red Solo cups, give or take), but I'm sure it will be tasty.

I was thinking that I could smoke a bunch of pork butts and then we could have pulled pork too. I would want to do it ahead a couple weekends (mostly because I don't want to drag my smoker to Houston), then shred it and freeze it in vacu-sealed packages, so the trick would be re-heating it on site. That could be the protein in pulled pork tacos if somebody else wants to provide tortillas and the stuff that goes on tacos.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I might bring a 14 lb brisket.  Depends on how far along we are on the car......

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

If enough people actually bring some form of BBQ, Bob and I want to force the Lemons judges into judging a barbecue competition. Preferably using standards that have very little to do with the quality of the barbecue.

Someone has to bring queso, right? I will see what I can scrounge up for queso.

I'll see if we can round up some grub.

Any speculation on which honorable judges will be presiding?

113 & 144 280zx

SpaceFrank wrote:

If enough people actually bring some form of BBQ, Bob and I want to force the Lemons judges into judging a barbecue competition. Preferably using standards that have very little to do with the quality of the barbecue.

Judges with standards, that's nonsense.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

I've heard that both Sajeev and Phil will be there, but I'm not sure who else.

McDaniel will be there too.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Bumping the thread as a reminder. Bring some food, and list what you're bringing on the Google Doc.

Friday night! Be there, or be... sorry you weren't there!

Should be cool and dry Friday night with a predicted low of 56 °F. There are a number of people bringing stuff who haven't signed up, so it should be a pretty good showing. Always room for more, though. See you maniacs on Friday!

I gotta bring something warm. Comforting. Enveloping in cheesy goodness.

I'll see if I can swing by and get queso makins' at the very least.

If you can bring an absurd amount of queso, I will bring a crockpot to heat it up. I'm also bringing tamales. I'd like to say it'll be like the NCM potluck all over again, but that would be a tall order. That being said, it sounds like there will be a large and varied amount of barbecue so who knows?

Well, poo. I bought one of those dip-sized crock pots to make it on site.

There will be queso, FYI. If anyone wants to grab more Velveeta and Ro-Tel (and maybe some caramelized onions? that would rule but I'm limited on space), I'll even put it in my pot.

That was a good party, y'all. We may never compete with the Midwest in terms of sheer size, but the representation of quality meats was impressive.

I learned how to use a slow cooker! Which is.......really that slow, I guess. Noted for next time: start cheese earlier.

Next year, I will have something for the pot luck.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod