Topic: 1987 Jag V12

https://tallahassee.craigslist.org/pts/ … 22401.html

Not mine. Willing to bet can be talked down

Racing cars is for rookies. Racing crapcans takes balls.

Re: 1987 Jag V12

That's a 1996. Only year with that motor in that body style... It's the best 6.0 litre version, too. Looks like it's been sitting a LONG time though.

OMG Racing '94 Benz S500 #140: https://www.facebook.com/pages/OMG-Raci … 2774944199
Judges Choice and Regional Award winner! Chuckwalla '12, Buttonwillow '13, BFE GP '15, Miller '14 & '15, Sonoma '13,'14,'15. Inde '16,17.Finisher of the inaugural Lemons Rally, in the black Jag.... and IOE in the Super Snipe back in '12...look for the #820 Audi back on a track near you in 2017!!

Yes, it's a 96 but not fully OBD2 compliant.  That will make a fun class C LeMon and like Rob said, the 6.0 is far better/stouter than the earlier 5.3 V12.  I will be more than happy to give pointers on how to make it go.  I'm betting on the proverbial "needs fule pomp".  It uses a two pump system with the pumps enclosed in a swirl tank inside the main tank.  There are check valves that go bad and the pumps end up pressurizing each other rather than the engine.  A couple of cheap diesel veggie oil conversion valves fix the problem.  Another possibility is a bad distributor rotor which makes it run on only 6.  You do have to buy serious brake pads for it thought.  We won Class C with the previous generation XJ81.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita" 
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)
1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless)
1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites) (Sold -> Houston.  Gone and forgotten)

I saw one in its prime. The guy popped the hood and the engine took up the entire bay. There didn't seem to be any room to do any work.

1992 Saturn SL2 - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner

chaase wrote:

I saw one in its prime. The guy popped the hood and the engine took up the entire bay. There didn't seem to be any room to do any work.

There is that.  I'm not quite sure how you'd get the exhaust manifolds off short of dropping the engine with the subframe.  There are quirks to these things, no doubt.  You don't know what it's like to change 12 spark plugs until your back lets you know afterwards.  The distributor has vacuum lines drawing air out because sitting down in the vee like it is, fuel vapor can collect inside resulting in a distro rocket launch.  But it's 315HP and 350 torques.  You can own the straights in style and grace.  And you're racing a V12.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita" 
1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites) (Sold -> Houston.  Gone and forgotten)

cheseroo wrote:
chaase wrote:

There is that.  I'm not quite sure how you'd get the exhaust manifolds off short of dropping the engine with the subframe.  There are quirks to these things, no doubt.  You don't know what it's like to change 12 spark plugs until your back lets you know afterwards.  The distributor has vacuum lines drawing air out because sitting down in the vee like it is, fuel vapor can collect inside resulting in a distro rocket launch.  But it's 315HP and 350 torques.  You can own the straights in style and grace.  And you're racing a V12.

That would look pretty sitting in the engine bay of the Rover. I think I would be killed for even suggesting it.

1992 Saturn SL2 - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner

In some ways these are are way underated. In other ways they have their isses.
I've owned a 1976 XJS (early version of the V12) for a long time now. Its got the
impossible to find 4-speed manual tranny. Hasn't been on the road for years.
Why? Cost of parts.

These V12's are a work of art. The block is a full 3 feet long. SOHC (1/head)
with a real drive chain that is very long and prone to stretching. The biggest
problem with the Jag V12's is in the cooling system and heads. There were
3 thermostats (!!!) in the early cars and if one fails wave good bye to your motor.
The heads (and block) are aluminum and when they overheat, even a little, the
steel valve seats fall out. The next time you start up its like a grenade going off.
That happened to the original engine that came with my car. Pure car-nage (snicker).
Why Jag never went to the trouble to pin the valve seats in the heads is beyond me.

For a Lemons-mobile a better bet would be the straight 6 engine version which
was only installed for a few years.

All this being said, I'd really enjoy building a driving a Jag XSS (V12). Maybe someday!
Oodles of torque, sweet IRS, low stance which should have low drag.
Steve

Ford reworked the heads on the later 6.0 V12 which does away with the head issues.  (6.0 came out around 1990 in the XJS and was in 94 & 96 XJ12s) It's a much better engine all around and really shouldn't be compared to the earlier 5.3.  And of course when Ford got involved with the 6.0, they changed the bellhousing pattern so the earlier Jag 4 speed doesn't fit.  So you think, "ok, I'll put a Mustang trans to bolt up to that Ford bellhousing pattern.  Wrong.  Not the same.  But you notice that it uses the 4L80E trans so you can bolt up a Camero manual trans, right?  Nope.  It's a special version of the 4L80E that uses it's own bolt pattern different from everything else.  Well, at least I can use an XKE V12 flywheel right?  Nope.  You need to buy a bespoke flywheel and bellhousing to convert the 6.0 V12 to manual.  Around $1500 IIRC.  I chased down that rabbit hole already.  The XJR essentially killed the V12 because it made similar power for far less money (and around 250lbs less weight).  But it was sure fun to wood that V12 off the corners and scoot on down the road.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita" 

One would be much better off using a sbc drive-train. No way I'd pay anything close to $1500 for an old Jag, not one like that anyway.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"