Topic: What to do in Germany?

I'm in Germany and a job got cancelled, so I've got 4 days to kill. I'm in Landstuhl now and have to be on site in Hohenfels on Monday.

Anyone got any suggestions for what to see or do in Germany?  I'm currently thinking about:

shopping at Christmas Market in Nuremburg
walking through Old Town area in some picturesque German town like Rothenburg, Regensburg, or Ansbach
seeing BMW museum in Munich
visit Rauchbier brewpubs in Bamberg

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

Re: What to do in Germany?

http://www.ringtube.de/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Nuerburgring-Nordschleife.png

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

3 (edited by gunn 2017-11-29 02:21 PM)

Cool. Free vacation on an expense acct.

My first thought was Nurburgring but that seems to be closed for the season.
http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/fans-info … times.html

Munich:
It's four hours away. I remember really liking the BMW museum but its been 20 yrs and I have had a lot more time wrenching on cars  (vs just playing grand tourismo and reading car mags) so I'm not sure if I'd like it as much (staring at a bunch of static displays). I remember liking the Hoffbrauhaus in munich as well (but there's a licensed plasticy ver in Vegas now as well and it's not rauchbier).

IMO, a tour of the BMW plant would also be interesting but I believe they get booked out pretty quickly (worth checking though)
https://www.bmw-welt.com/en/experience/ … tours.html

They also have a christmas market in Munich as well. I'm pretty sure they are in most major cities in Germany.
http://www.muenchen.de/int/en/events/ch … arket.html

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

K-Town has their Christmas market going, could start there and progress to Many of the other markets or hang out in any number of  Irish Bars.  I do miss travelling thru twice a month but retirement is a bit better some days.  Or head over to Ramstein Junkyard and bring me home some BMW parts...

rmcdaniels wrote:

I'm in Germany and a job got cancelled, so I've got 4 days to kill. I'm in Landstuhl now and have to be on site in Hohenfels on Monday.

Anyone got any suggestions for what to see or do in Germany?  I'm currently thinking about:

shopping at Christmas Market in Nuremburg
walking through Old Town area in some picturesque German town like Rothenburg, Regensburg, or Ansbach
seeing BMW museum in Munich
visit Rauchbier brewpubs in Bamberg

Christmas Market in Nuremburg was a big disappointment about 7 years ago when I went...not what I remembered from the '80's

BMW Museum sounds fun

Go native and visit one of hot springs spas like Baden Baden (it is an...um, experience)

Catch a $60 German wings flight over the Prague.

Bamberg is an OK town period so the brew pubs is a bonus.

I was thinking about Prague.

There's a 32km hiking trail through Bamberg that goes to 13 breweries, but like the Nurburgring, this isn't the time of year for too much outdoor stuff. It's 30 degrees outside and snowy in the mountains.

rmcdaniels wrote:

I was thinking about Prague.

There's a 32km hiking trail through Bamberg that goes to 13 breweries, but like the Nurburgring, this isn't the time of year for too much outdoor stuff. It's 30 degrees outside and snowy in the mountains.

I did Prague, Warsaw and certain concentration camp last time during the deepest cold snap and highest snowfall in in three decades...man up!

But really, especially if there is a Gasthaus at the halfway point of that trail, I know which I would choose.  the Hearty meat, potatoes and cabbage German diet will keep you warm along with the smokey beer.

Jet lag, woke up at 1045, will head out to Bamberg for Rauchbier, get the most important one out of the way first. I should have time to visit the two best brewery taverns in Bamberg, and I got a hotel about a block from the Schlenkerla brewery tavern, where they have been tapping barrels of Rauchbier since 1678.

I'm thinking that tomorrow morning I actually get out of bed, have a "morning pint" at 0930, visit the local wirsthaus for lunch, and head down to Nuremberg in the afternoon to catch the opening ceremony of the Christmas Market, get some brats and gingerbread, and then head for Munich to spend Saturday at "BMW World".

Wish I could help but the last time I was in Germany, the wall was still up.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

OnkelUdo wrote:

I did Prague, Warsaw and certain concentration camp last time during the deepest cold snap and highest snowfall in in three decades...man up!

But really, especially if there is a Gasthaus at the halfway point of that trail, I know which I would choose.  the Hearty meat, potatoes and cabbage German diet will keep you warm along with the smokey beer.

The problem with the trail is that this time of year they shut a lot of outdoors stuff down, and last time I went for a hike in this part of the world it ended with an ambulance ride to the hospital tent at SPA, where I spent a few hours trying to pass a kidney stone. I only missed another Mercedes front row start and 1-2 finish, so no huge loss there, but that hike left me a little gun-shy about taking off down a poorly populated trail in the European countryside.

When I was in Munich a few years ago, I was able to visit all the southern Germany car manufacturer's museums: Audi (Ingolstadt), BMW (Munich), Mercedes (Stuttgart), and Porsche (Stuttgart).

They are all worth a visit, but the Mercedes museum was (IMO) far and away the best: very interesting building, and a metric sh*t ton of really cool stuff inside. Worth the 2.5 hour drive from Munich. Landstuhl is about 2 hours away. The Porsche museum is on the other side of town, but you can do both in 1 day.

We Audi Be Faster
'85 Audi Coupe G(in &) T(onic)

I always recommend Koln- it's about as far from Landstuhl as nuremburg, and totally worth the trip. great beer culture, amazing history and museums, and decent enough public transport that the winter won't be too oppressive.  Highly recommended.

If you’re gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

I want to stay in Bamberg. The beer here is really good, like best beer I've ever had good. They had a seasonal Urbock tonight at the Schlenkerla brewery, it was pretty awesome.

moose72 wrote:

I have a chunk of that wall somewhere at my parents. I think I got it in elementary school when I wrote an essay about "something, something, freedom"

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

gunn wrote:
moose72 wrote:

I have a chunk of that wall somewhere at my parents. I think I got it in elementary school when I wrote an essay about "something, something, freedom"

I have one I chiseled out myself.  I was lucky enough to be an exchange student in Germany when it all went down AND my host family was influential.  My host father was a vice president of parliament for a minor swing-vote party.

As a result I was in Berlin about two days after the wall "fell" and spent a week there.  Four weeks later my host mother left me a note on the breakfast table "Pack for two weeks.  You are going with Judith and Hans to visit family".  These were a cousin and her fiance and the the family was all in East Germany....no one had seen them in person since the 1960's.  I was probably one of the first tourist visa's for East Germany (not East Berlin) after the wall fell for an American...awesome experience.

Hey just saw this post, what did you end up doing? I am going to Germany in February to visit family in Germany. We have a two days at the end of my stay with no set plans.

I went to Bamberg for the Rauchbier, which was great, although it is a college town and there were a bunch of kids running around. I went to Nuremburg for the Christmas Market, which was a bit touristy, and Munich for the BMW museum, which was nice.

I'll be back in a couple of weeks for about a month, with a week off in February, and I'll probably do the rest of the car museums then.

Might be a good place to pick up a cheaper FIA rated HANS, as my teammate is currently doing, spending a week in Munich...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Also late to the party, but if Rothemburg is an option, the torture museum there should give you some good ideas for Lemons penalties.