Topic: Flooded vehicle build... maybe

There are tons of vehicles in the Houston area with flood damage. We killed our mustang in the Houston race this year and the team was thinking about going with something a little smaller and more nimble. I bid on a few cars knowing nothing about the vehicles and ended up winning a 1992 honda Prelude for $375. At first glance the vehicle does not look too bad for 1992.

Upon further inspection the engine is a honda vtech that did not come in this model. That can be good or bad, who knows.

When I removed the oil drain plug about 2 gallons of water came out before getting to the oil! With the plugs out I could turn the engine by hand. Water did shoot out of the cylinders.

We did get it to crank and run but there is a lot of smoke. I think this prelude may have had some issues before the flood.

A few videos of us trying to get water out of the engine can be seen on our fb page. https://facebook.com/POSRacing/

This should be a fun build.

Luke

Re: Flooded vehicle build... maybe

I'd want to pull the head and oil pan and see what's going on inside....

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

3 (edited by Fishah 2017-12-04 10:31 AM)

I get the feeling that $375 was far too much for this car.

But VTEC, yo!

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

We will have to get into the engine to find out. I am sure I could part it out for more than what I spent, but who wants to do that. Sounds like it is about right for Lemons. We can't all driver cheater cars.

Fresh water flood car......maybe

Salt water flood car.....no thanks

ross2004 wrote:

Fresh water flood car......maybe

Salt water flood car.....no thanks

THAT....

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

7 (edited by Pfreak 2017-12-13 11:49 AM)

So far we are looking pretty good. After flushing out the water and running oil through it a few times the car seems to be running much better. I dropped the oil pan and everything looks pretty clean for a 93 engine. Compression numbers were pretty good, 210, 215, 215, 225 Next we are going to check bearings and valves.

I don't really know much about Honda engines but so far it has been pretty straight forward. https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/y3_K8MD9mj2_LKZkY8l_uybsYL-bdphzAP3DUk8tzU18m2fMujfIKMn8WPI5XyAFE8D53j5W5uG-1b3VDBwPBxQOv7JCgFWasi5xgpTu4ZqdzCmqq8B6Jo3z3w6aCpV9xwB32PO2PQ

Fishah wrote:

I get the feeling that $375 was far too much for this car.

But VTEC, yo!

LOL, I din't even know what VTEC, YO! was until someone else said it to me. I googled it, pretty funny stuff.

Pfreak wrote:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/y3_K8MD9mj2_LKZkY8l_uybsYL-bdphzAP3DUk8tzU18m2fMujfIKMn8WPI5XyAFE8D53j5W5uG-1b3VDBwPBxQOv7JCgFWasi5xgpTu4ZqdzCmqq8B6Jo3z3w6aCpV9xwB32PO2PQ

Jesus, is that a steam engine or a Honda?

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Ooooooooh yesssssss!

Do it

Racing cars is for rookies. Racing crapcans takes balls.

12 (edited by chaase 2018-01-04 12:26 PM)

The biggest problem with flood cars is the electrical issues. The salt water corrodes a lot of grounds and messes with any computers that were exposed. The engine doesn't look to bad really. Make sure to drain the transmission and differentials too.

Go over the grounds and open up any low lying computers and clean them up.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Do it.

Yeah, we have pretty much committed. We have it running decently now. I need to check  the bearings, I found some shavings in the oil pan. I will post some pics once the weather allows me to work on it again.

Luke

15 (edited by Guildenstern 2018-01-18 12:58 AM)

Buy flooded Tesla S.

Install soot belching out of tune Oldsmobile LF9 Diesel V8.

DOMNINATE!!!!

https://erepairables.com/salvage-cars-auction/tesla

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Time and Budget is going to prevent us from getting to the nola race. We have our eyes set for the MSR Houston, seems appropriate for the flood car.

Luke

Man, I love seeing this thing get brought back to race. Good luck!