Re: cheapest air fuel ratio gauge?

jrbe wrote:

I get what you're saying.
But look at a narrow band voltage / a/f ratio graph, like asking which side of the fence are you on?
There is a third spot, I'm standing on the fence.

Right, and for some people with certain situations that's enough. If you're just looking to make sure your carb isn't going lean that is enough. And if someone offers a narrowband setup cheap, why not go for it.

Obviously a wideband offers a lot more info, but some people just don't need/want that level of detail. Something I missed at the start of this thread. For those that do need/want a wideband the innovate has served me very well.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Re: cheapest air fuel ratio gauge?

I use an a Autometer W/B with a carburetor.  I haven't used one, but I don't think a N/B would be useful to me.

If you just want to stay on the safe side, I'm guessing a N/B will work fine, but you might get flaky drivability here and there.  You'll also likely use too much fuel, not make near best power, and foul plugs.  You'll also dirty up your oil sooner.

If you're trying to shape the entire fuel curve you need to know where it tends to go over the entire RPM range so you can work with all the tuning tools your carburetor gives you.

I'd recommend using a W/B.

Maximum Leader, Ruler for Life,
Dirty Rotten Cheating Bastards Racing