Topic: Driver Gear for sale on-site at races?

I'll be at Road Atlanta this weekend for the Scrotium 500. 

If by some wild chance there is a team there short on drivers and willing to let a newbie take the wheel,...

Is there typically a vendor on-site selling the Driver Gear packages, or is it mail order only?

Off-Kilter Racing
'62 Plymouth Valiant "ToadRacer" - Organizer's Choice, IOE...
'86 Toyota MR2 (needs engine)

Re: Driver Gear for sale on-site at races?

Unlikely at best. I've seen a few pieces of gear at track stores, but never full setups, and usually very expensive. The gear on the lemon's website isn't actually stocked by Lemons, they just forward the orders off to pyrotect, so none of the gear is trucked around race to race.

The other issue you have is the database for the race is closed. Adding you as a driver now, or at the track, will cost a lot. Unlikely a team will want to go through the headache for an unproven new driver without gear.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Drivers gear was reasonable at Thompson Pro shop Couple of my team mates got new suites and I got gloves and a helmet.  You just never know when a sale might be taking place.

Thanks for the feedback.  Pretty much what I expected.  Ya gotta start somewhere...

Off-Kilter Racing

Dudefladge wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.  Pretty much what I expected.  Ya gotta start somewhere...

A good place to start if you do not have a team is the Drivers Wanted threads.  Every race has a few teams in need of drivers and it's a great way to get started.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

Thanks.  I posted a couple times there, but didn't really have my ducks in a row yet.

Fortunately, Jason from Valiant Racing (another Slant 6 nut) said he might be willing to take a chance on an unproven newbie like me... ;-)

I'll get all of the gear and start pitching in to try and prove my worth and seriousness to compete...

Off-Kilter Racing