76 (edited by VKZ24 2017-12-12 11:00 AM)

Re: Scrotium? Who's going?

Bayley wrote:

The Team Sheen #181 Acura Integra had a great time as well!

Got a pic of your car?  I ran nose to tail for about 5 laps with a DC on Sunday morning and we had a good battle.  There were about three DC's IIRC and I get them confused.  Ours is a DA.

First off, let me say I HATE me some cold weather, and multiply that by 10 when you add in snow/sleet/rain/ice.   That said, this track made up for all of it.  Damn it's fast, and scary but so much fun!  Road Atlanta has officially been moved to the top of my list of favorite tracks.

As for my team, overall we did pretty well with a solid 15th place finish.  We had some hiccups with a couple of spins and a wall contact on Saturday morning, but fortunately the damage was just cosmetic and the car drove fine afterwards.  During my stints I witnessed most drivers playing nice, and didn't see any car passing under yellow.  I was BF'd myself on Sunday, but the judge didn't know why, so I was sent right back out.  I inadvertently passed a car under yellow in T10A earlier that wasn't caught, so I figured it all worked out in the end.

A few observations and some could be considered complaints, but are really meant to be constructive criticism:

- Paddock Parking seemed chaotic in some areas.  One team parked right in the middle of the damn road near pit out.  WTF?
- The Snack Bar/Grill was closed on Sunday.  Ummm...it's a 2-day race and I like to eat on Sunday's too.
- If you don't understand hand signals, look them up or attend an HPDE and learn.  Our driver shows a pit signal at T10A meaning he will stay far left after he exits T10B, but someone still went around him on the left...jackass move.
- Why was the winning team pushing hard enough to spin in T1 when they had a 10 lap lead with 45 mins to go?  Surely if you were winning by that huge margin you'd know.  If not, ever heard of the Race Monitor app?
- Pick a lane.  The tan-colored Focus was in the middle of the track at least half the time.
- The setting sun was absolutely brutal going into T5 the last session on Saturday.  On one lap, a group of us were all in 2nd gear trying to find the turn in point to go up the hill.  It was like I was Ray Charles behind the wheel.
- Flagging was excellent IMO.  The RA crew knows their stuff.
- Vehicle Recovery was very good as well.  The NCM crew is still the fastest I've seen, but RA isn't far behind.
- Turn 12 is quite a rush.  No sane person should feel calm going over that blind hill at 80+ MPH.  I loved it!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Bayley wrote:

Speaking of fuel economy... holy crap that track makes your car thirsty!! At Autobahn and Gingerman, we can easily go 3.5 hours and sometimes stretch it to 4 hours. But after just 2.5 hours, we were running out of fuel! Brett found this out at ~4:52 pm on Sunday as I intentionally slowed down so him and I could have an epic last lap sprint battle. As I came out of 10a, the car immediately sputtered as I watched the fuel pressure gauge drop down to zero psi! Exactly one nano-second after this, Brett goes blasting past me with what I could only imagine was the biggest shit-eating grin on his face.

I was able to limp it around the track for another couple of laps and eventually take the checkered flag, but that car was on fumes!

LOVE LOVE LOVE this track. We will definitely be coming back in 2018!

I didn't even think that the track was causing the terrible fuel economy, our Wideband was showing 10.1-10.3 at WOT so we were richer than needed to be but the wide open portions and uphills definitely suck the gas, we got around 3.5 hours Sunday morning including the slow start but only 2.5 Sunday afternoon with the west coast  speed freak.

Bayley, I was very disappointed when you pulled off. I was so ready for a couple of laps duking it out.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

I had no idea what to expect, as the car was returning to a track for the first time in 7  years.  We threw the engine and trans from our wrecked mustang into the car, a rear and front spindles from a wrecked sn 95 mustang.  Completely re did the brake system from the master cylinder to the calipers/rotors.  The carb decided to pour raw fuel into and out of the engine, so we grabbed the carb off the galaxie and hoped for the best.

Friday, our first driver out reported a nasty shake in the driveline at 3000 rpm and up.  Eventually found front u joint shot.  By that time, all of the parts stores closed early but John found an auto zone 20 miles away that was still open.  He got 2 u joints and we started installing it saturday morning.  After the second cap went on, I realized it was the wrong one.  DOH!  Got the correct one and 2 hours passed before we went out on track.  Another stop for a thrown belt took another hour from us, but we were able to go out for the rest of the day.  I was so confused coming over the hill and having no points of reference on the horizon, my stint was spent driving slowly, trying to figure out what the Hell I was doing.

Sunday went better for everyone on the team.  The car was very thirsty, as mentioned by other teams.  We got a call from our last driver, low fuel,  with about 20 minutes to go.  When we went to respond, our radio battery died.  With fingers crossed, we watched the car go up the hill again and again, It was time to walk over for the finish, and when the car didn't drive up pit out, I thought (hoped) my driver had run out of gas on the parade lap.  It had actually run out a couple laps before the end.  22 gallons in about 1:40.  yikes!

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

VKZ24 wrote:

- Why was the winning team pushing hard enough to spin in T1 when they had a 10 lap lead with 45 mins to go?  Surely if you were winning by that huge margin you'd know.  If not, ever heard of the Race Monitor app?

Yeah, I really don't know what happened there...  I really was trying to take it easy just running in 4th and 5th gear, but when I hit T1 that lap, all of a sudden I was going around.  I'm sure it was the bone-head driver, but it really seemed like I hit debris or something slick on the track.  If anyone has any GoPro footage of that I'd love to see it.  Sorry for the scare I caused anyone.

- Cooper
Team Rod Throwin' Fools (#31 MR2)

RA is now my favorite track.  While it was no fun trying to lay down power in the snow when cresting the hills or in a turn with the Silver Bullet, it was a total blast in the dry.  The track really flows and I felt "safe" if I got a little squirrely (maybe that means I was going to slow)

FLAGGER WERE THE BEST I HAVE EVER SEEN.   The gave you plenty of lead time when there was problem ahead but let you go when it was clear.  They need to teach other tracks. 

Can't wait for next year.

I want to live or die trying.

Great people, time, and track. Road Atlanta is one of the best, and definitely agree that the flaggers were on point the whole race. A lot of drivers also seemed to be cascading signals down the track which was awesome - even if there was no uniform signal that a yellow/white flag was ahead aside from doing something with your hands. That really helped improve safety when the sun was out and made it hard to see what was ahead and prevented PUYs.

I think I'm still recovering from the sleep deficit brought on by an all-night drive starting at 9:30pm Thursday from Northern Indiana to Road Atlanta due to a cancelled flight, then an ATL airport pickup from hell for our California drivers later that afternoon. According to the Sleep Foudnation, driving after being up 24 hours is like having a 0.10 BAC, so I can say I've driven RA in the snow while impaired!

Brett's car was fantastic as ever - thanks for the seat!

3PM's pig was even better and thanks for the food.

VKZ24 wrote:
Bayley wrote:

Got a pic of your car?  I ran nose to tail for about 5 laps with a DC on Sunday morning and we had a good battle.  There were about three DC's IIRC and I get them confused.  Ours is a DA.

https://i.imgur.com/mxtjTGl.jpg

Tim was out there on Sunday morning from 8:30 until 10am, Bruce went from noon until 2:30pm and then I finished the day. All the Integras seemed to run really good at this track. I had turn 1 figured out pretty well and could easily pass most cars on the OUTSIDE of the turn. That little Acura stuck hard in those corners. :-)

The Pentastar whisperer

cwl37 wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

Yeah, I really don't know what happened there...  I really was trying to take it easy just running in 4th and 5th gear, but when I hit T1 that lap, all of a sudden I was going around.  I'm sure it was the bone-head driver, but it really seemed like I hit debris or something slick on the track.  If anyone has any GoPro footage of that I'd love to see it.  Sorry for the scare I caused anyone.

I was a couple hundred feet back in the Integra when you spun. I had been following you for a lap or two (figured you were in cruise control and I didn't want to push the race leader) and you didn't take turn 1 any differently than you did the previous laps.

There were some crazy marbles on the inside of turn 1 that I once hit and really upset the car. I wonder if you cut over just a few inches more towards the inside and hit a few of these.  Regardless, was happy to see you out of the mud on the next lap. Great win, well deserved.

The Pentastar whisperer

84 (edited by st_rage 2017-12-13 05:13 PM)

I didn't see anyone else mention it, but we ran the whole race on the same tires.  Didn't even bother to swap them front->back.

Despite living in Atlanta, I'd never driven RA before.  It was a blast.  I had always heard about the high speed and looming walls, but OLPD has enough drag that it never felt like an issue.  The big wing gave us a huge braking advantage going into 10A, especially against all the RWD cars that had been conditioned to be cautious by the earlier dampness, and I probably threw myself into a few situations I shouldn't have.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

Our front left has a bit of edge wear, but the rest look fine.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

86 (edited by VKZ24 2017-12-14 06:06 AM)

Bayley wrote:

Tim was out there on Sunday morning from 8:30 until 10am,

If my teammate ever gets me my video, I'll have about 5 laps of me right on your driver's tail.  I'll post a link if/when I get the video.

Captain

st_rage wrote:

I didn't see anyone else mention it, but we ran the whole race on the same tires.  Didn't even bother to swap them front->back.

Despite living in Atlanta, I'd never driven RA before.  It was a blast.  I had always heard about the high speed and looming walls, but OLPD has enough drag that it never felt like an issue.  The big wing gave us a huge braking advantage going into 10A, especially against all the RWD cars that had been conditioned to be cautious by the earlier dampness, and I probably threw myself into a few situations I shouldn't have.

Sorry, we didn't get to chat with you guys during the race.  The paddock was hilly, spread out, and cold, and I had a nice warm RV to stay in so that's my excuse.

Regarding tires, we swapped ours front to rear, but didn't really have to.  We always bring four new tires so we have new fronts for both days, but the tire wear was so low this race, we plan to run these same tires (and brakes) at Barber in February.

So on the last stint on Saturday, I was just ahead of you guys and we were well matched except turn one.  Of course it didn't help that the sun was right in my face, but after a couple of laps of you about to run me over in T2, I decided to let you by and see what you knew that I didn't.  I followed you through T1-2 the next few laps to learn a thing or two, and with some practice I was much better, to the tune of 4 seconds better on Sunday morning.  Thanks for schooling me!

Captain

VKZ24 wrote:

So on the last stint on Saturday, I was just ahead of you guys and we were well matched except turn one.  Of course it didn't help that the sun was right in my face, but after a couple of laps of you about to run me over in T2, I decided to let you by and see what you knew that I didn't.  I followed you through T1-2 the next few laps to learn a thing or two, and with some practice I was much better, to the tune of 4 seconds better on Sunday morning.  Thanks for schooling me!

Would love to see video, as I was having difficulty explaining to my teammates why I was thrashing their lap times.  It was due primarily to a spiritual connection with the car and releasing all fear, but they want specifics on turn-in's and breaking markers.  They didn't seem satisfied with the answers of "late" and "later".

I eventually felt fast in most of the turns except for 5.  Never really got enough clean runs at it to get it figured out.  The afternoon sun in your face didn't help and the uphill chug to 6 if you didn't carry speed out of 5 was depressing.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

st_rage wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

Would love to see video, as I was having difficulty explaining to my teammates why I was thrashing their lap times.  It was due primarily to a spiritual connection with the car and releasing all fear, but they want specifics on turn-in's and breaking markers.  They didn't seem satisfied with the answers of "late" and "later".

I eventually felt fast in most of the turns except for 5.  Never really got enough clean runs at it to get it figured out.  The afternoon sun in your face didn't help and the uphill chug to 6 if you didn't carry speed out of 5 was depressing.

Unfortunately we didn't get any video of my stint at the end of Saturday. sad  I hoping to see some from Sunday that I can post however.

Captain

90 (edited by Dudefladge 2017-12-18 07:54 AM)

belmontspecial wrote:

Dudefladge Rob for offering to come down and help out, I was glad you came anyway, and you better get that car on the track next year, we're all looking forward to it.   Give me a call I now have extensive Valiant racing experience (but slow.) 

Stay safe,
-Phil

Hey Phil,

It was great hanging out with you all. It definitely got me hooked on wanting to get into this!

Ya know,... Fort Campbell and Fort Knox are only about 2-3 hours apart... You've got extensive Valiant racing experience,... Your Behemoth BMW needs a new cage anyway,... My Valiant will be even slower than Jason's and EXPECTED to break (which means you can push it as hard as you want without fear... :-)

That all sounds to me like we should team up and build another Valiant!!
How could you say No to a face like this...?

http://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/923/gKwKmN.jpg

You've got my number... ;-)

Off-Kilter Racing
'62 Plymouth Valiant "ToadRacer" - Organizer's Choice, IOE...
'86 Toyota MR2 (needs engine)

More Slant Six A-bodies in Lemons... muahahahahaha!

I'm surprised at all the fuel consumption stories- except for running out of gas during the 1st stint in Saturday, we were burning a record-low 8gph. Other than that, count me in for this track every year. Our fast lap was a 2:01.248, which felt good, and not too scary. Only real breakage was shearing 4 studs on the rr on Sunday. Thanks to the fellow that had some on hand and offered them up. We were back out relatively quickly. Great racing with all of you, and +1 on the great flagging.

Team Fairlylame
HumidiTT '14 IOE Winner

SpaceFrank wrote:

There are a shitload of them all of a sudden.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:
SpaceFrank wrote:

You know you love it!

Off-Kilter Racing

Dudefladge wrote:
therood wrote:
SpaceFrank wrote:

You know you love it!

All of us do...

Dudefladge wrote:
belmontspecial wrote:

Dudefladge Rob for offering to come down and help out, I was glad you came anyway, and you better get that car on the track next year, we're all looking forward to it.   Give me a call I now have extensive Valiant racing experience (but slow.) 

Stay safe,
-Phil

Hey Phil,

It was great hanging out with you all. It definitely got me hooked on wanting to get into this!

Ya know,... Fort Campbell and Fort Knox are only about 2-3 hours apart... You've got extensive Valiant racing experience,... Your Behemoth BMW needs a new cage anyway,... My Valiant will be even slower than Jason's and EXPECTED to break (which means you can push it as hard as you want without fear... :-)

Someone talk us out of this.  Better yet,  jesus take the wheel....

belmontspecial wrote:
Dudefladge wrote:
belmontspecial wrote:

Stay safe,
-Phil

Hey Phil,

Someone talk us out of this.  Better yet,  jesus take the wheel....

Ain't nobody in THIS crowd gonna try & talk you outta buildin' such a cool, sleek racin' car with serious IOE potential! ;-)

Off-Kilter Racing