Topic: Duff Beer; An IOE Story

http://www.carolinahondas.com/members/roger-albums-pj-picture6715-roadatlanta5667.jpg

So, I wasn't going to be able to get to Road Atlanta because I was working in Germany, and Robert (our local Atlanta hot shoe) wasn't going to make it because he had a family commitment in Colorado, but Charles and Ricky were going to be there, and the car is still more of a work in progress than an actual Class C race car, so we figured it would still be good to get it out there and try the new suspension (Rock Auto 300TD springs and KYB Gas-a-Just shocks) and fat sticky tires (205/55r16 Ventus R-S4) out and see what shakes loose (or falls off). It was going to be a kind of a car development weekend, no real racing, not a lot of laps, just hang out and see how the car does.

Then Ricky and Charles both got sick. They got the car loaded and Ricky got the RV headed toward Atlanta, but Charles had to stay in Raleigh and recuperate. Ricky made it to the track before literally collapsing, so Robert came over on Friday before he flew out to CO and got the paddock set up and helped us get through tech.

http://www.carolinahondas.com/members/roger-albums-pj-picture6720-ra656.jpg

Since at this point we only had one person on site and he was too sick to drive, I wrapped up work early in Germany and got a direct Frankfurt-ATL flight, so I got in Friday night and braved the inches of slush to get to RA, then crashed immediately because I was exhausted.

Saturday morning we get up and Ricky is still pretty sick, so he goes back to bed and I venture out to find an open gas station with diesel before the race starts. I had to go all the way to the interstate before I found some place open, and I got a big cup of coffee and chugged it on the way back to the track because jet lag is kicking in.

http://www.carolinahondas.com/members/roger-albums-pj-picture6719-ra315.jpg

At this point the race has just started, so I get suited up and get on track. A few laps in, the car makes a horrendous racket (even more than it's usual racket) in the esses so I pit and find that our fat tires are interfering with our right front fender, probably because of the foot of suspension travel that our Rock Auto springs are allowing (and the fenders and a little smashed-up from prior wrecks). I pry the fender out with a jack handle, run a couple of laps, then pry it out a bit more, and finally get it clear enough not to eat our tire. I also add a pair of socks to my feet because they are going numb from the cold.

http://www.carolinahondas.com/members/roger-albums-pj-picture6716-roadatlanta852.jpg

A few more laps go by, and now it makes a horrible racket through 12, so I pit and pry the left front fender out with a jack handle, as well as add a third pair of socks because my feet are still freezing and I'm having trouble feeling the accelerator stick (pedal fell off, so there's just a short little stick that you mash for acceleration (not that a diesel Mercedes has much of that).

http://www.carolinahondas.com/members/roger-albums-pj-picture6718-ra307.jpg

Back on track, I can feel everything but my big toes now, and the car is running without making a horrendous racket, although I did have a corner worker tell me that it does sound quite alarming coming around 10b, but I think that's just its normal, non-horrendous racket. I have to back off early and engine brake for the end of the back straight; my $6 Rock Auto brake pads are really not up to the task of late-braking my Mercedes tank on the downhill stretch before 10a without emitting an alarming smell, and I can't break 80 MPH anywhere, and my point-by finger is starting to go numb from the cold, but otherwise the enterprise seems viable enough. I decided I was just going to try to stay out of everyone's way and drive until I felt tired and park it until Ricky felt better. Kim said she'd try to find us another driver.

http://www.carolinahondas.com/members/roger-albums-pj-picture6723-ra901.jpg

So several hours go by and I still somehow feel okay, although somewhere between hours 3 and 4 I start loudly singing an 80's pop song, which is what usually happens when I stay out too long. It's Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time" this time, which is kind of refreshing; my brain usually goes for "Toto" or "Asia", or one awful race "Big Country".  I only know one word in ten of the song, so this is mostly me mumbling very loudly and enthusiastically to the tune of the song. It's probably good that nobody can really see or hear me at this point, as I may have had an alarming resemblance to a crazy person.

http://www.carolinahondas.com/members/roger-albums-pj-picture6717-race8660.jpg

Just after hour 5 it starts to fuel starve coming around turn 7, so I pit. Ricky is still curled up in a ball under a blanket, but the Chevron station outside the gate has finally opened, so I get in a reasonably quick refuel, hit the head, and chug a large energy drink before driving back on track.

http://www.carolinahondas.com/members/roger-albums-pj-picture6722-ra824.jpg

Another hour and a half of singing "Time After Time" (not kidding, I sang that song for hours) and chugging that energy drink was not looking like the best idea, as I really had to go, so I stopped for a bathroom break and Ricky was up and suited up, so he jumped in the car and did the last hour and a half. Apparently Kim had come by with a driver for us somewhere in that time, but Ricky was comatose and I was busy singing, so nobody was around to get them in the car. Sorry Kim. Ricky and I both crash early after handing out a record-low number of beers. Sorry everyone, we were exhausted.

http://www.carolinahondas.com/members/roger-albums-pj-picture6723-ra901.jpg

Sunday dawns and Ricky is feeling much better, so he's taking the first stint. I'm watching him drive by from the heated HQ viewing area and I start thinking, the new 5-cyl turbo engine is only marginally better than the old 4-cyl non-turbo engine, which seems odd, because on paper it should be almost twice as powerful. It's always bothered me that I never understood how the fuel injection pump is boost referenced; as a turbo-gas EFI guy I understand how I do it there, but mechanical injection turbo diesels are new to me and I'd never heard of an "ALDA". So Ricky turns clean laps all morning and during the 2-hour "quiet hour" I ask the Idle Clatter team if I can look under their hood. They are happy to help and I find the boost reference line, which was never on the engine that we got. So for 1.5 races, our turbo has been doing nothing but making a cool noise. The ALDA fitting is missing, so I fabricate one out of some fish tank tubing that I cut out of an old homemade cool shirt, pipe thread tape, Honda-Bond, and zip-ties. Now we should really kick ass!

http://www.carolinahondas.com/members/roger-albums-pj-picture6721-ra780.jpg

Ricky goes out again on Sunday afternoon and we are only 6th in class. He immediately takes 8 seconds off of my fastest lap time; I think the turbo works now. My half-assed boost reference line fails to fall apart and the process of attrition continues and I go out for the last three hours in 5th place. Before it's over, I'm in 3rd, 3 laps out of second, and no 80's songs, but I ran out of time before I was done winning class C, so we'll pick this up again at Barber.

We ran all weekend, no flags, no breakdowns, and finished in a pretty close race for 2nd, so not bad considering that on Friday afternoon we only had one guy there and he was too sick too drive.

http://www.carolinahondas.com/members/roger-albums-pj-picture6714-ioex2.jpg

Thanks to everyone for driving around us all weekend and congrats to the Ape-X team for their class C win. Those guys put on a two-day school for the rest of us on how to drive a terrible car well.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

Re: Duff Beer; An IOE Story

Awesome story.  I think we set a record for the least amount of beer consumed in a weekend.  We just hid in the heated RV the whole time waiting for our shoes to dry out.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

Once it got dark, and it got dark early, the temps quickly dropped a lot. I didn't last for long out there before retreating to the RV and huddling in the heat.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

You guys are awesome.

Lying in MMMM-mmmm, and think of you
Caught up in, um, Lemons, confusion Is nothing new
Flashback--warm nights--
Crap, I'm cold.
Suitcase in Germany,
Time after--

You said go slow--I have no choice
The turbo Benz unwinds--

If you're lost on the track--and you gotta pee
Time after time
If you fall I will catch you--team mate sleeping
Time after time
Time after time
Time after time...
Time after time...
Time after time...
Time after time...

Dude, congrats! I think you're one of my favorite people that I barely know in this sport. I'm right there with you on the loud singing after being in the car too long, but 5 hours is something else.

I can also confirm, having seen this car at NCM and at the end of the day Sunday at RA, that it is now significantly less slow.

billy bee wrote:

brilliantly on-point parody

My roommate had to ask me what was so funny.

rlchv70 wrote:

You guys are awesome.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.

Bert One - 1981 Volvo 262c Bertone | Ernie - 1990 Nissan 240SX

"Mash the Acceleration Stick!"

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

I was fortunate, as you stopped by our spot saturday, while it was still light and dropped off a cup of Porter  Dee lish!

Congrats to your team, Hell of an effort!

I hope to see you at Barber!  If not, CMP fall would be our next southern race.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Congratulations! Great, clean driving on track - even more amazing given the heroics to even get there.

Actually, Robert went back to work (i.e. home) around 10am. I made sure the kill switch actually killed the car, and went back to sleep in the heated RV, waited for the idiots lining up in the snow for tech to go away, and took the car straight through tech after 2pm. Jay reached in to turn the kill switch, looked at me and ask "is this gonna work", I shrugged and said, "turn it and see!"

Prior to connecting the MAP line, the thing simply would NOT accelerate up a hill. Even a 1° grade. That short little hill nobody else realizes is there after T7, whatever speed you have at the beginning, you'll be 0.5mph slower at the top. But once you hit the crest, she's a 2ton rocket. Down any hill, it really does fly -- T11-T12: 40 to 70+, T4-bottom of the esses: 30 to 70+ (too fast to clear T5) Once the turbo was doing something, it would accelerate out of T7 to over 80 by 10a -- not recommended with $6 brakes. From T11 into T1 I was hitting over 86mph. It was an interesting change having to brake for T1 -- at 73 the tail will begin to step out. I've not downloaded Sunday's telemetry to see how Roger was doing with boost. We both managed 2:18's. Idle Clatter turned a 2:13 with a cheaty pro-driver in it.

I always knew something wasn't right. A diesel that isn't smoking isn't getting enough fuel. With all the engine braking, it should be smoking from the oil it's burning!

Duff Beer Civic (#128) -- 2014 Sebring - Class B (#1 of 7), 2016 Barber - Class B
1981 Jet Electrica 007 [Plymouth Horizon TC3] (#128) -- Mk.1 - Index of Effluency Eco (IOEe) @ 2016 Lemons South Fall, Mk.2 - Judges' Choice @ 2017 'Shine Country Classic, Mk.3 - Index of Effluency @ 2017 Southern Discomfort

A turbo M-B diesel should be pushing 120 to 140 HP.  In a vehicle not made out of hewn granite, it might actually be capable of making a decently-quick car. 

Awesome job, guys. 

I can relate to the singing to yourself in the race seat thing.  One race at CMP I was chanting the lyrics to "Sabotage" for a solid half-hour.  "That's Life" is another good one.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

In our first Lemons race we had left the radio in the dash.  I made a CD.  You guys inspired me to dig it up.

Chamical Brothers - Star Guitar
The Presidents of the USA - Mach 5
Rammstein - Du Hast
311 - Don't Stay Home
Danzig - Mother
Frank Sinatra - Fly Me To The Moon
Lemonheads - Rabbit
Lemonheads - Skulls
Magnapop - Garden
Metallica - Seek and Destroy
Metallica - Orion
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Powermad - Slaughterhouse
Quiet Riot - Cum on Feel the Moize
Wagner - Ride of the Valkyries
Crystal Method - Busy

Driving when the Frank Sinatra came on was sublime.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

I've found that I prefer having songs stuck in my head with a slower beat when I'm driving. Definitely makes me feel less hurried, which tends to make me faster (I think).