Topic: Heated Gloves for Barber

Anyone ever use heated gloves that plug into a 12 volt source?  I would like to find a pair that can go under my racing gloves as my hands got really, really cold at Road Atlanta.  Perhaps someone has really good experience with just using liners to keep warm?

2 (edited by NotURMailman 2017-12-15 10:21 AM)

Re: Heated Gloves for Barber

You can get heated glove liners, look on motorcycle gear web sites.
I've had two sets. Both were bargain basement "junk".
The first set failed quickly, the second set still works.
I wish I could tell you what they brands were, but I don't remember.

Just plumb the engine coolant through your suit and gloves. What could go wrong? #foolproof

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

Unless your stints are insanely long, hunters rechargeable gloves can work but both snowmobile and motorcycle website carry liners.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TruePower-He … mp;veh=sem

If it doesn't have 2 doors, 3 pedals, and 5 lug nuts per wheel - It isn't a real race car

Something like this could work https://www.gemplers.com/product/36607/ … 18174031:s

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

OnkelUdo wrote:

Unless your stints are insanely long, hunters rechargeable gloves can work but both snowmobile and motorcycle website carry liners.

The correct answer is to leave the entire HVAC system in place, allowing drivers to luxuriate in precisely controlled comfort.

It's also hard to beat a factory demister.

nickD wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

The correct answer is to leave the entire HVAC system in place, allowing drivers to luxuriate in precisely controlled comfort.

It's also hard to beat a factory demister.

that and it can dry out your shoes...I am told.

Wow, I completely lost track of this thread O.o  Thanks for all the input!  I hadn't thought about heating the steering wheel.  I wish I had kept the factory aircon in the car.  Heard of one team at CMP just piping the A/C under the front of their helmets and being perfectly comfy.  The manual defogger (spatula with a towel taped on the end) isn't all that great either...  One of the drivers at Road Atlanta taped foot warmers (potentially run hotter than hand warmers?) to the outside of his gloves.  For me it was really bad for the first hour of Sunday at RA.  100 or so MPH on the straight with both hands off the wheel trying to get feeling back in the fingertips was...interesting...  And possibly just a little unsafe. 

Anywho, really appreciate all the ideas!

Brett85p wrote:

Something like this could work https://www.gemplers.com/product/36607/ … 18174031:s

These will melt to your hands in case of fire... Just like you shouldn't wear synthetic choneys due to the unfortunate results of heat on plastic. I'd rather wear an extra set of non sfi gloves over the top. I'd say the same for the motorcycle glove liners that I've seen.

That guy

Another solution are old wool glove inserts you can find at any surplus store.  I have a set that is 100% wool (no melting) and surprisingly warm for being on the thin side.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

Are you allowed to wear anything over the top of your SFI gloves?  I would have assumed you'd get sent back to the paddock when you tried to get on track

proto17 wrote:

Are you allowed to wear anything over the top of your SFI gloves?  I would have assumed you'd get sent back to the paddock when you tried to get on track

I would just peel back my gloves and show the SFI tag underneath....That should do it.....YMMV,tho.....
If there was a problem,just take off the offending glove.....Problem solved....

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

proto17 wrote:

As others have said, you really don't want anything that can melt next to your skin (especially underwear bottoms, I just can't imagine how horrible that would be ...)

At a very rainy race last year, someone asked if it would be OK to wear waterproof items on top of the SFI certified clothing. The answer from Steve McD was a resounding NO, nothing would be allowed on top, whether driving or fueling. They don't want anything that can either support combustion or melt to be anywhere near your body.

We Audi Be Faster
'85 Audi Coupe G(in &) T(onic)

Heat tape around the steering wheel?

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013