Topic: 2018 RULE CHANGES HAPPILY BORING

From Jay:

It's the holiday season, and your present from us is we'll only make two Rulebook updates for 2018, both with a year's worth of runway:

1) Modified bolt-in cages will be completely phased out by 2019.
2) Onboard fire-suppression will become mandatory in 2019.

That's it--you can check out the redline of actual word changes here, and visit the Rulebook (as always) right here. Then breathe a sigh of relief that on 1/1/2018, you've got precisely nothing to do.

Best & thanks JL

Re: 2018 RULE CHANGES HAPPILY BORING

But what do I have to be really really upset about for 2018.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

BoB wrote:

Speed creep, the demise of real $500 racing, not enough Buicks on track.....take your pick smile

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

BoB wrote:

I suppose there's always the arbitrary and high-handed manifestation of liberality on display between the first version of the new rules and the second version, but yeah, it's not much to go on for the basis of a good rant.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

What experience with fires has lead to the new requirement?

A couple big ones in the past few years in a couple diffrent sedan racing organizations. I think a 944 in either Chump or one of the other cheap series, and an MX5 Cup car come straight to mind.

Combined with the harness rules I think insurance may be becoming stricter on SFI/FIA direct compliance. And that means Rated Fire Suppression.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport