Topic: SCROTIUM 500 OFFICIAL WRITE-UP ON ROADKILL

http://www.roadkill.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Lemons_2017_Rd_ATL101.jpg

Good race, glad so many teams stupided* the cold and snow. Read about it here.

* As opposed to "braved."

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Re: SCROTIUM 500 OFFICIAL WRITE-UP ON ROADKILL

Anyone have pics of the SLK230 that was mentioned?

I have one, it was sold to me at Lemony pricing in hopes of it racing, but i think the interior is too cramped to cage reasonably... Did they do a big exo cage or what?

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

I have one as well that I was thinking about making into a Lemons car. Changed my mind after watching the carnage and talking to the drivers. They did a good job on the build. Took the top and trunk lid off. Leaned the cage back. Welded the shell of a top from another car on it to give it enough headroom. But the drivers I talked to said it was a handful to drive. It went off the track and into a wall on the front straight in the first couple of hours of the race. They filled up a trash can with all the junk that used to be in front of the front wheels. They put enough of it back together to come back on Sunday. Mine is a little tough to drive hard under normal highway conditions, not a Lemons car for me.

4 (edited by cwl37 2017-12-22 08:12 PM)

Thanks for the great write-up, Eric!

I'm glad there are no refunds in Lemons or we may have backed out after hell froze over!

I vote for renaming it the Scrotium 1000.  We made it nearly 996 miles and the race was delayed 15 minutes or so.  1000 would give a nice target to ensure some serious over-driving... I didn't see nearly enough cars in the gravel traps.

- Cooper
Team Rod Throwin' Fools (#31 MR2)

Type44 wrote:

Anyone have pics of the SLK230 that was mentioned?

I have one, it was sold to me at Lemony pricing in hopes of it racing, but i think the interior is too cramped to cage reasonably... Did they do a big exo cage or what?

They ripped out all the convertible top mechanism and a good deal of the cage ended up in there i think. It also was turned into a shooting brake.

The 240D's replacement 300D 5cyl engine was always a turbo. When LKQ removed it from the source car, they removed the line that tells the mechanical fuel pump to pump more fuel. The line goes to a over-boost cutout switch on the firewall, which explains why the overpressure wires go nowhere, and the manifold had a red cap on it. It was Sunday break before we looked at Idle Clatter's setup to notice the vacuum hose we don't have.

Fixing that has pointed out a number of other problems. Problems that are going to be Big Problems (TM) when it's not 30F outside.

Duff Beer Civic (#128) -- 2014 Sebring - Class B (#1 of 7), 2016 Barber - Class B
1981 Jet Electrica 007 [Plymouth Horizon TC3] (#128) -- Mk.1 - Index of Effluency Eco (IOEe) @ 2016 Lemons South Fall, Mk.2 - Judges' Choice @ 2017 'Shine Country Classic, Mk.3 - Index of Effluency @ 2017 Southern Discomfort

jfbeam wrote:

The 240D's replacement 300D 5cyl engine was always a turbo. When LKQ removed it from the source car, they removed the line that tells the mechanical fuel pump to pump more fuel. The line goes to a over-boost cutout switch on the firewall, which explains why the overpressure wires go nowhere, and the manifold had a red cap on it. It was Sunday break before we looked at Idle Clatter's setup to notice the vacuum hose we don't have.

Fixing that has pointed out a number of other problems. Problems that are going to be Big Problems (TM) when it's not 30F outside.

How big an oil cooler are you running? The stock 300D one is roughly 20% of the size of the radiator. Combine that with the 8 qt sump, and you have a recipe for running cool all summer in Phoenix, at WOT, with stuff as heavy as a M119/722.3 combo (that is a DOHC 5.0 V8 with accompanying automatic trans, for those who don't speak MB) in the cargo hold. BTDT!

What I'm getting at, is that the stock 617 series turbo diesel is always driven WFO, to keep up with the passing traffic. Lemons track work is not harder on the engine than typical commuting for one of these.

Brakes, OTOH... Sounds like you're candidates for an upgrade.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

We are still on the stock 240D radiator/oil-cooler combo.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!