Topic: Loophole question

I just watched the recap from MSR Houston Fall 2017. In the wrap up Jay critiqued Tarp racing's, homemade exhaust headers by saying, someone on the team could have gotten a job at Taco Bell and bought a tubing bender instead of going to all the effort of slicing and welding stock headers.

Based on Jay's statement, am I right in assuming that if I get a job at Taco Bell and use only the proceeds of the Taco Bell job to finance my Lemons team. Will I avoid penalty if i exceed the 500$ limit?
Jay invented the limit and since he is suggesting that a team get a job at Taco Bell and buy a bender instead of welding stock pieces together leads me to believe that he may be setting a legal precident whereby a Taco Bell job funded team may be exempt from the 500$ cap. Realistically if you work at Taco Bell how cheaty a car could you really afford to build.

Re: Loophole question

Tools are budget exempt. Would you like a chalupa with that?

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Bring paystubs with your name on them and corresponding receipts and you'll probably fly right through BS inspection.

cheseroo wrote:

Tools are budget exempt.

Oh, man, that makes things a lot easier! I suppose next you'll say that tow vehicles are exempt, too.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

If you worked at Taco Bell you can legally build a super cheesy car.

nimblemotorsports wrote:

And that car would be a...........Chevy TACO-Bel air!!!  DOMINATE!

THEME!!!

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

ludwigheimrath2000 wrote:

I just watched the recap from MSR Houston Fall 2017. In the wrap up Jay critiqued Tarp racing's, homemade exhaust headers by saying, someone on the team could have gotten a job at Taco Bell and bought a tubing bender instead of going to all the effort of slicing and welding stock headers.

Based on Jay's statement, am I right in assuming that if I get a job at Taco Bell and use only the proceeds of the Taco Bell job to finance my Lemons team. Will I avoid penalty if i exceed the 500$ limit?
Jay invented the limit and since he is suggesting that a team get a job at Taco Bell and buy a bender instead of welding stock pieces together leads me to believe that he may be setting a legal precident whereby a Taco Bell job funded team may be exempt from the 500$ cap. Realistically if you work at Taco Bell how cheaty a car could you really afford to build.

THEME!!! Someone do it!!!! TACO BELL THEME!!!!!!

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

cheseroo wrote:

Tools may be exempt, but the humiliation of having to work at Taco Bell to fund your build must put something back into the budget!

nimblemotorsports wrote:

"cheesy" (no actual dairy products harmed in the making of this car).

cheseroo wrote:

Tools may be exempt, but the humiliation of having to work at Taco Bell to fund your build must put something back into the budget!

No shame is working at a fast food joint to fund your hobbies.  I would personally choose a place with actual food instead of "food" consumed only when drunk but money is money.

I worked the Bell in High School. It wasn't bad. It wasn't as nice a job as working a Sushi counter, but not much is in food service. But, it was a lot easier on life than working in a Big Restaurant. Those tend to consume your life.

I've lost a few friends to the Kitchen because of that. I think they just have a spot in the back of the kitchen where they hang them up over night, saves the trouble of having to go home to come right back in.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Lol i just have a hard time believing this is a legit legal precedence here

What that tools don't count in your cars price, or that working at taco bell to buy tools is a good idea

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

mharrell wrote:
cheseroo wrote:

Tools are budget exempt.

Oh, man, that makes things a lot easier! I suppose next you'll say that tow vehicles are exempt, too.

Tow vehicles are mostly exempt. They don't want you or your car staying at the track after the event so they give you a little more wiggle room.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

FYI Like your build, a SBC drops right in and you could probably use a set of shorty headers. Not as cool I know.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Not everything Jay says in the wrapups should be taken at face value. He and Nick try to make the videos funny, and sometimes they even succeed.

Jay should be careful about making fun of any minorities, like Taco Bell workers...in case he ever decides to run in an election....
I mean, imagine if he decided to run against Trump in the next election...what would his slogan be...?
"America shouldn't be just for rich idiots...America should be for ALL idiots!"
Or "Make America (n Motors) Great Again"

And which party would he be in?  He might just need to run as an independent in the Lemons Party...

I suppose he could get a lot of "bribes"....ahem...donations from big oil companies, big 3 auto makers, fracking companies, auto recycling companies, etc.
And he could help the Chinese purchase Miller Motorsports...
And he could open up foreign trade so that the US market could get flooded with cheap asian and eastern European air polluting crappy cars.
And he could make budget endurance racing a financial loss that you could deduct from your income tax.

Wait a minute....Hey, Jay!  You got my vote!

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022