Topic: Barber & Tires/Brakes

Speedy Monzales is going to Barber this year.  1st time for us.  Talking tires and brakes, how is Barber.  Do tires or brakes wear faster than MSR?  ECR was brutal on brakes.  Just want to make sure we have the right spares on hand.  Any experience shared is much appreciated.

Organizer's Choice Award 2011 Heaps in Heart of Texas
IOE 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
2014 ECR Class C WIN;  2015 MSR Class B WIN
Speedy Monzales

Re: Barber & Tires/Brakes

Can't tell you much about Barber compared to MSR or ECR, I've never run my own cars at MSR or ECR.  I have completely run out of brakes at ECR in a NSF car, but I would assume that had more to do with NSF...

I can tell you that Barber is easier on both tires and brakes compared to CMP.

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

Barber is not a heavy braking track and is relatively easy on tires, the track flows really nicely.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Thanks for the feedback.  It is much appreciated.

Speedy Monzales

5 (edited by VKZ24 2018-01-02 07:02 AM)

solman244 wrote:

I can tell you that Barber is easier on both tires and brakes compared to CMP.

Is anywhere harder on tires and brakes that CMP...aka "The Cheese Grater"? 

We run mainly CMP and Barber in our FWD Honda.  Even with over 3 degrees of camber up front, we still cord the LF tire on the first day at CMP.  At Barber we could run the whole weekend on the same tires w/o even rotating them.  As for brakes, I'd wager we could run Barber about 6 times on just one set of ST-43s.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

I have not run CMP, but ECR destroyed brakes.  No way to compare the two.
Thanks for the feedback.  I am now not concerned as new brake upgrades survived much better and the tires have never been an issue.  Looking forwarded to the race.

Speedy Monzales

It's much more like MSR-H with regard to brake/tire wear than it is ECR. Unlike the landing strips that are a lot of ECR, Barber doesn't have any extremely long high speed straights.

It does, however, have tremendous elevation changes, unlike either ECR or MSR-H. If you can, I'd recommend trying it out on iRacing before you turn the first lap, it helped us tremendously just in terms of track familiarization.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Awesome.  Thanks for there comparison.  Looking forward to it.

Speedy Monzales

9 (edited by cpchampion 2018-01-07 09:53 PM)

We'll be there as well, so try to coordinate paddock spot claims with us & TARP.
(Edit: as has been said, it's a track with a good flow, you won't need bonus stacks of tires or brake parts.)

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

cpchampion wrote:

We'll be there as well, so try to coordinate paddock spot claims with us & TARP.
(Edit: as has been said, it's a track with a good flow, you won't need bonus stacks of tires or brake parts.)

Chris, I'll be there with Pollock running the Property Devaluation chimeric e36. I won't have the traditional TARP wedding tent setup, as I'm going true A&D style rather than driving out. So there won't be a lot to coordinate with me.

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I think we will be going out Thursday.  Should be at the track early AM Friday.  Will keep an eye out for you guys.

Speedy Monzales

I'm putting some notes on the Barber paddock setup in a post on the FB lounge. It's accompanied by a custom edited photo and those are too much of a PITA anymore to put on this forum.