Topic: Cold Weather Base Layers

Anyone have suggestions on good base layer pieces to wear under a fire suit for cold weather racing? I'm looking for something that will keep you warm when you're out of the car, but then not roast you while you are in the car.

Obviously most suits are built to keep you cool, which means you are freezing for all the time you're not in the driver's seat.

I've done a bunch of Googling but haven't found anything that seems to be both 1) designed for cold weather, and 2) SFI rated for fire protection.

Thinking about just going with some of the nicer wool pieces - at least they won't melt if you get in trouble.

Thanks fam.

Collateral Damage Racing - '86 Chevy Cavalier RIP
2013 Capitol Offense | 2014 CMP Spring, Fall | 2015 CMP Spring (IOE), Fall

Re: Cold Weather Base Layers

An extra set of Nomex under undergarments?

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

how cold are you expecting it to be? At the NH races even when it's a cold weekend I get out of the car sweating, and all I have under is a t-shirt and pants. I'm not sure where the idea that suits are designed to keep you cool comes from, that's why I have a cool shirt system installed.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

When it's cold, I wear regular nomex underwear.  When it's hot, I wear a carbon-X top.  That stuff is niiiice.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Don't think single solution. You'll just be making compromises to get a half solution in the end.

If you really wanna stink up your racing gear all weekend, go for an insulated coverall suit to put on OVER your racing gear. Basically your SUIT is the base layer when you aren't in the car.

Not sure what to say about shoes. I'd just change those for a good set of boots full of heavy socks.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

This is the second time someone has complained recently about being cold in the race car and I still find this baffling.  Even with my new lightweight suit, I cannot imagine being cold while racing (maybe long yellow or red flag).  That said...staying mostly suited up and ready to swap in or fuel is an advantage.

On shoes...these have been a godsend at the "compound".  It is intensely muddy and or cold here and these are warm enough for about 20 minutes outside in the snow without socks...with heavy wool socks they are good forever.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IY … &psc=1

As for the rest, I am old school and have a long waxed cotton shooting jacket that is big enough I can layer over my suit and under it.  Wind-proof and mostly waterproof and does not melt if you bump up against hot parts of the car when you hooptie comes in for emergency repairs.

7 (edited by TeamLemon-aid 2018-01-20 07:53 AM)

My left hand and feet were freezing at our WRL race at VIR in December.  30F outside.  I’ve never been cold overall, but my left hand and feet have been an issue.  I wore two pairs of Nomex socks and would put my left hand in my right armpit during yellows.   

I wear full long sleeve and full leg Sparco Nomex underwear under a 3 layer suit when cold.  Then bring a set of wind and water proof pants to pull over my legs and a large jacket over top to keep warm outside car. 

Cold weather is easy as there are options of more layers.  The hot weather is the real issue...

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

8 (edited by Bayley 2018-01-22 08:12 AM)

^^^ This ^^^

At Road Atlanta in December, my hands got cold above and beyond anything else. The toes were also getting a little frosty by the end of my shift. Bring a cheap pair of insulator or running gloves to wear underneath your driving gloves. It'll be tight, but you'll be glad you brought them.

The Pentastar whisperer

Before anybody else says it: don't put anything melty under your suit/gloves/shoes/helmet.

So if it didn't grow on a plant or an animal and doesn't carry an SFI or FIA tag it doesn't belong on a driver.  Exception: asbestos.

10 (edited by hoverducky 2018-01-22 05:31 PM)

(Oh, so that's how double posts happen..)

hoverducky wrote:

Before anybody else says it: don't put anything melty under your suit/gloves/shoes/helmet.

So if it didn't grow on a plant or an animal and doesn't carry an SFI or FIA tag it doesn't belong on a driver.  Exception: asbestos.

And I believe Pagel showed up somewhere and said don't wear anything over your SFI/FIA gloves, and I assumed that covered suit/shoes/helmet as well.

That guy

What do you people do with the stock HVAC systems? 

Pulling a heater to "save weight" on a car that may be raced in almost any kind of weather is not smart. What weight you same is not really going to make a difference in your lap times. On some cars I'd even consider keeping the AC if it still worked. It doesn't cost you anything power wise when it's not used and keeping the heater core can help cool down an overheating engine or keep your feet warm at a cold weather race.

13 (edited by DirtyDuc 2018-01-22 09:41 PM)

I bypass heater cores as potential points of (shade-tree engineering) failure. AC? Haven't built a car that had it yet. Although the new build does have dual climate control.

That guy

We left the heater core in place and disabled the the footwell air vents so all the warm air goes to the windshield. Might help a little with cold hands, but it is SOOOO nice to have a functioning defroster. At NJ last year during the monsoon our windshield was perfectly clear all weekend. Our garage mates did not fare so well and spend half the day in the garage trying all sorts of things to keep the screen clear (rainx wipes, shaving cream, rag-on-a-stick, etc).

We Audi Be Faster
'85 Audi Coupe G(in &) T(onic)

willyb wrote:

Obviously most suits are built to keep you cool...

Ummm...What?  I must have bought the wrong suit because mine will certainly not keep me cool, hence the need for a Cool Shirt.  Oddly enough it doesn't keep me warm in the winter though.  At RA this past December, I was "OK" when in the car, but not 'warm'.  Out of the car, I was cold to the bone, probably because Nomex isn't wind proof is my guess.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

RSB wrote:

We left the heater core in place and disabled the the footwell air vents so all the warm air goes to the windshield. Might help a little with cold hands, but it is SOOOO nice to have a functioning defroster. At NJ last year during the monsoon our windshield was perfectly clear all weekend. Our garage mates did not fare so well and spend half the day in the garage trying all sorts of things to keep the screen clear (rainx wipes, shaving cream, rag-on-a-stick, etc).

The Dustbuster minivan, with worlds largest windshield, has both defrost and floor vents with the entire HVAC control panel intact.  Drying your shoes while racing at Gingerman fal and seeing through crysal clear glass...priceless!

RSB wrote:

The Dustbuster minivan, with worlds largest windshield, has both defrost and floor vents with the entire HVAC control panel intact.  Drying your shoes while racing at Gingerman fal and seeing through crysal clear glass...priceless!

Glad this got so many replys - I am definitely going to look at the CarbonX stuff, seems like it may be a good fit. And somehow cheaper than the merino wool options I was looking at.

A lot of the other stuff I am looking at is polyester, which in the unlikely case of a fire seems like it would more easily melt. Bad news.

Generally I am worried most about being cold outside the car, but good call on adding some addtional over layers. I haven't been anywhere that has been super cold while driving (hooray South) but when you get out of the car the wind cuts right through a 2 layer suit even with the Nomex underwear.

Re: Suits designed to keep you cool - that's what all the vents are for? Though I agree that goal #1 is safety, but they certainly aren't made for keeping you warm when its cold.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Collateral Damage Racing - '86 Chevy Cavalier RIP
2013 Capitol Offense | 2014 CMP Spring, Fall | 2015 CMP Spring (IOE), Fall

willyb wrote:

Re: Suits designed to keep you cool - that's what all the vents are for?

If your suit has vents, you have the wrong kind of suit.

Electric Mayhem Racing

willyb wrote:

Re: Suits designed to keep you cool - that's what all the vents are for?

If your suit has vents, you have the wrong kind of suit.

Electric Mayhem Racing

Yea... What suit do you have?

My suit keeps me VERY cozy.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct