Topic: Minimum laps by a driver?

So my dad is helping put my car together and kinda wants to drive, but he's never been on track and he is not sure his body can take multi-hours of racing.  Meanwhile, I am worried about possibly not having enough drivers, and a little gun shy at adding a person I've never met to my team.  I never saw in the anything about minimum number of laps per driver, so if my dad does 10 laps and decides its not for him, is this permissible?

Re: Minimum laps by a driver?

Sure is.  If the driver does not feel comfortable, switch drivers.  No sense in driving if you do not like it or do not feel safe.  No minimum laps per driver, just no more that six drivers on a team.  Hope that helps.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

There is no requirement at all. You can have a driver show up, decide hell no, and just go home.

Bring him, I've been racing with my dad on the team since my second ever race and it's been amazing.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

If you're worried about not having enough drivers, you can wait until the race.  There are often plenty of people looking for more track time.  All they need is a driver's band.

There have been drivers that never get an official lap, going out for a lap and coming back in at the end of the out lap and never going out again.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

thanks!

moose72 wrote:

No minimum laps per driver, just no more that six drivers on a team.

richv70 wrote:

If you're worried about not having enough drivers, you can wait until the race.  There are often plenty of people looking for more track time.  All they need is a driver's band.

Just to clarify this: No more than six people can be officially associated with one single car for the purpose of registering and paying as drivers, but there's no limit on how many people can actually drive a car during a race, as long as each person has officially signed up as a driver for one of the registered cars in the race. In other words, once you are registered as a driver you can drive any registered car for which that team has given you permission, and, conversely, you can let any registered driver drive your car.

travis_arnold11 wrote:

Meanwhile, I am worried about possibly not having enough drivers, and a little gun shy at adding a person I've never met to my team.

You have to pay for at least four people but four people don't actually have to show up to drive. Some teams use non-racing friends and/or relatives as "drivers" to fill out the roster or just make up a list of fake names for the extra positions, as long as the money is real.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

What race are you aiming for and do you already have 4 drivers?
If so, you might want to check to see if someone needs a "ghost driver"  for their entry to the same race (ex: perhaps they are planning to race with 3 ppl instead of the 4 min number of registrants).

This won't cost the other team anything (they needed to pay for 4 drivers anyway), your dad would get the registration so he can potentially take a few laps for the cost of the annual license, and it will save you having to pay an extra $100 on your own vehicle entry.

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

I'd ghost for you to fill your roster. I used a couple of people I know to fill our roster then my dad and I went out and did the whole weekend just the 2 of us. We had another guy hanging out in the pits to keep us fed and watered and we all had a blast. He's 65 btw. We have a mid pack slow car and just slinging it is fun. Which race are you planning?

#44 VW Jetta "Le Mondrian"
Arsesweat '17 finished 10th in (B), 3 finishes in 7 races
#96 Silver Subaru Legacy Automatic w Orange Top (formerly)

No minimum required. Bring him, I'm guessing after the 1st few laps he'll want more than 10... You might even need to drag him out of the car.  I would say when you do get him in do it mid-day when the cars are spaced out, it will be easier to learn the track that way and less nerve racking.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"