Topic: Machinists and gearheads

I am a Faster Farms groupie/part-time sponsor/team photographer. I own a Jobshop CNC machining company in Pleasanton Ca. (www.peridotcorp.com) Having been in the biz since (gulp) the 70's I have  constantly noted the propensity for hotshot machinists to be car nuts. As such I would like to exploit this opportunity for any Lemons people who are (or know) machinists and  that might be interested in working on some really  cool equipment (lasers, edm's etc) to give me a shout. I am particularly interested in a CNC lead that can ride herd on 20 machines, operators, programmers and a positively brutal schedule.

2 (edited by fleming95 2018-03-09 01:27 PM)

Re: Machinists and gearheads

How you know that the job market in the Bay Area is truly bonkers:

- when they start looking for CNC shop managers among a crowd whose usual set of tools is pretty much 3 lb sledge+Sawzall+pneumatic destroy-all+perseverence!

(seriously, have crossed paths with the OP at an Alameda 4th of July party and this sounds like mucho productive fun and lots of tough variety.)

peridotracing wrote:

...cool equipment (lasers, edm's etc)...

fleming95 wrote:

...among a crowd whose usual set of tools is pretty much 3 lb sledge+Sawzall+pneumatic destroy-all+perseverence!

Well, um, that is, my dissertation research was in high-pressure mineral physics, making extensive use of a mode-locked, Q-switched Nd:YAG laser for sample interrogation and a custom EDM for making diamond-anvil cell gaskets, but at heart I'm a geologist who enjoys hitting rocks with a sledge, so it's not entirely far-fetched to look for such an overlap.

I wouldn't dare try to get away with calling myself a machinist or a shop manager, though. Either one of those claims might require an assessable display of competence.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

4 (edited by peridotracing 2018-03-09 07:59 PM)

mharrell wrote:
peridotracing wrote:

...cool equipment (lasers, edm's etc)...

fleming95 wrote:

...among a crowd whose usual set of tools is pretty much 3 lb sledge+Sawzall+pneumatic destroy-all+perseverence!

Well, um, that is, my dissertation research was in high-pressure mineral physics, making extensive use of a mode-locked, Q-switched Nd:YAG laser for sample interrogation and a custom EDM for making diamond-anvil cell gaskets, but at heart I'm a geologist who enjoys hitting rocks with a sledge, so it's not entirely far-fetched to look for such an overlap.

I wouldn't dare try to get away with calling myself a machinist or a shop manager, though. Either one of those claims might require an assessable display of competence.

We have several Q switched Yags but are rapidly moving to fiber delivered systems.