Topic: Uncertain about using this car

I have recently gotten ahold of a 99 honda accord.

The cam was locked up in the head, and after I fixed it, found the transmission doesn't have reverse. After looking around at the rest of the problems Ive decided this might be a good Lemons candidate

Do I have to have reverse to race?

Also, the rules talked about how the rollcage had to sit so much higher than the helmet on the tallest person. Since all my potential race partners are tall, could that create a real problem?

Re: Uncertain about using this car

Not having reverse is an annoyance, but it's not a requirement.

Getting your race seat as low as you can will probably solve your cage issues, but be cognizant of it as you are fitting the seat and cage.  I've seen cages go outside the roof to get more head clearance.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

jteasers wrote:

...the rules talked about how the rollcage had to sit so much higher than the helmet on the tallest person.

It's worth emphasizing that the overhead clearance measurement is between the top of the helmet and the top of the volume defined by the cage, not between the top of the helmet and the bottom of the tubing. Figure four of the "How to Not Fail..." guide illustrates this:

https://24hoursoflemons.com/wp-content/ … 051817.pdf

A '99 Accord should have ample clearance for even fairly tall drivers. Also, reverse is just for people who fail to plan ahead.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:

It's worth emphasizing that the overhead clearance measurement is between the top of the helmet and the top of the volume defined by the cage, not between the top of the helmet and the bottom of the tubing. Figure four of the "How to Not Fail..." guide illustrates this:

https://24hoursoflemons.com/wp-content/ … 051817.pdf

I like your description better than the wording in the guide.

jteasers wrote:

The cam was locked up in the head, and after I fixed it, found the transmission doesn't have reverse. After looking around at the rest of the problems Ive decided this might be a good Lemons candidate

Also, the rules talked about how the rollcage had to sit so much higher than the helmet on the tallest person. Since all my potential race partners are tall, could that create a real problem?

How tall is tall?  We we around 6'2" maybe? It seemed like we had room still, but definitely didn't have a problem with our drivers. 

What engine is it?  The V6 treated us very well, but the 4spd automatic it was mounted to is hot garbage.  We mounted an extra transmission cooler and still had issues late in the day (it was NJMP in the summer).  Didn't take much at all to make it a very fun car though.  Our interior sold very fast online as well.

NJMP '11--#132 (Speedycop), NJMP '12 to '16--#215 (Philthy Motorsports), NJMP '16--#75 Most Heroic Fix, NJMP '17--#75 (still drying out), NJMP '18--#75, NHMS '18 - #75 Datsun 510

Unsure about your particular trans but an auto trans guy told me a long time ago that reverse was the hardest gear for the trans to engage.  If reverse is going it meant the pump was too weak to engage reverse.  The Honda guys can chime in but I think I'd look for another one or give a stab at changing the oil/filter.  In reality, you'll spend far more time on other aspects of the build than swapping a trans out.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I'd pass, unless it was free. Then I'd yank a known motor/trans and use it. no way I'd use a car w/o reverse.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

My Honda auto trannys have always been picky about the trans fluid. I fixed the one in my daughter's Honda by using the correct fluid from Honda and filling/driving/draining it a couple of times.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

jbl wrote:
jteasers wrote:

How tall is tall?  We we around 6'2" maybe? It seemed like we had room still, but definitely didn't have a problem with our drivers. 

What engine is it?  The V6 treated us very well, but the 4spd automatic it was mounted to is hot garbage.  We mounted an extra transmission cooler and still had issues late in the day (it was NJMP in the summer).  Didn't take much at all to make it a very fun car though.  Our interior sold very fast online as well.

One solution I've read about here is that some people mount their seats at a slight rearwards incline (front higher than the rear). Unless some (all?) of your team of giants are freakishly proportioned, this should yield a little more and head legroom.

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

mharrell wrote:

It's worth emphasizing that the overhead clearance measurement is between the top of the helmet and the top of the volume defined by the cage, not between the top of the helmet and the bottom of the tubing.

Thank you for clarifying that! I'm actually really focused on the tech side because I don't want to drive 8-10 hours to the race just to be DQed for crappy welds or something dumb.

jbl wrote:

How tall is tall?  around 6'2" maybe? It seemed like we had room still, but definitely didn't have a problem with our drivers. 

As of right now, our racers are 6'1 to 6'5, so even if we had to go outside the car we should be fine.  I almost wish we were freakishly tall, there could be so many team idea.......

We're adventuring out with the 4 cylinder. Wirh an auto. Trans actually grinds when you put it into reverse, so I like the extra cooler and filter idea.

As for the power train, I'm thinking about finding a spare good engine and trans (or 2, they're cheap!) and taking with us.

gunn wrote:

One solution I've read about here is that some people mount their seats at a slight rearwards incline (front higher than the rear). Unless some (all?) of your team of giants are freakishly proportioned, this should yield a little more and head legroom.

We just did it that way. It works pretty well.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner