Topic: What is the general wisdom of getting a flood car?

How much extra work typically goes into getting a car with flood damage to be race worthy again? It is usually more trouble than it’s work or are they decent deals if you can repair/replace the electronics easily?

2000 Hyundai Accent @ 279,982 miles
2014 Ford Focus Titanium
Currently residing in Denver, Colorado

Re: What is the general wisdom of getting a flood car?

I would say, depends on the car and depends on the team.

There's a sliding scale of difficulty from older (easier) to newer, but some of that can be mitigated by team skills... Like the guys who build their own ECUs. Or if you can fabricate adapters for old school tech (carbs and dizzy).

That guy

I run an 03 X-Type flood title car from Hurricane Sandy.  As stated, it all depends on the car.  For mine it ran great with no electrical issues.  It does have a ton of undercarriage rust, rusted on bolts, springs that were rusted and broken due to sitting in salt water.  So, closely inspect the car and see what's wrong with it, some like mine are relatively simple while others you might need a donor car too and probably not worth it.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

A detailed review of a flood car can generally reveal what level the H2O reached. An inch or two in the floorboard is completely different than a submerged ECU...just sayin.

#9 Audi CQ Scooby Doo Car known as the Mystery Machine, #44 Audi 4KQ painted as a tribute car to the 1989 IMSA  car driven by Haywood, Stuck, and Rohrl, and the #95 Audi TT Lightning McQueen.