Topic: Muffler

Ok, looking to replace our 26 +/- year old muffler with a new one.  Any recommendations for a cheap one that works well for a turbo?

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

Re: Muffler

moose72 wrote:

Ok, looking to replace our 26 +/- year old muffler with a new one.  Any recommendations for a cheap one that works well for a turbo?

I hear the muffler has a lot of lag when you use it as a turbo.

I'll show myself out.

https://memecrunch.com/meme/BFXM3/goodbye/image.gif?w=400&c=1

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Damn it, you got me.  Been at work since 430 this morning.  One that works well WITH a turbo

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

What motor? Because honestly both cars I've run have been 4clyinder turbos and we've just removed the muffler from each making them pure straight pipes after the turbo. A turbo is a great muffler in it's own right. Neither of our cars have been even close to the sound limit, and they're been far far away from the top half of loudest cars on track.

If you're running something larger and really do need one just go grab a cheap muffler from your local parts store that matches your exhaust diameter. It'll do just fine.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

2.2 turbo is what we run,  ill let the guys know.   Thanks for the info

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

moose72 wrote:

2.2 turbo is what we run,  ill let the guys know.   Thanks for the info

I don't think the SRT-4 cars run mufflers, just cats and that is it. I guess you could try a cheap race muffler from Summit to reduce the noise some.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

https://www.workshopaddict.com/forum/attachments/metalworking-projects/14393d1442015055-new-muffler-70-i-garden-tractors-2015-001.jpg

That.  That's what you want, right there.  Flapper cap and everything.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

8 (edited by jimbbski 2018-03-15 07:15 AM)

mechimike wrote:

https://www.workshopaddict.com/forum/attachments/metalworking-projects/14393d1442015055-new-muffler-70-i-garden-tractors-2015-001.jpg

That.  That's what you want, right there.  Flapper cap and everything.

I think it's called a "rain cap".

Keeps the rain out  of the engine while your tractor sits out in the field where you left it.

We run our turbo car with a tiny little bulllet straight through “race” muffler.  It is barely any quieter than with a straight pipe and quieter than many other cars on track.  A simple turn down at the end can help with sound too.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

+1 to the above.  MetSHO uses a couple of straight-thru 3" mufflers that work great to reduce drone and general annoyances while still leaving in some fun turbo noises

https://imgur.com/vqV4N2z.jpg

Mike @ Charnal House Inc.
Like us on Facebook!
Or send us a message at CharnalHouse@gmail.com

+1 to the above.  MetSHO uses a couple of straight-thru 3" mufflers that work great to reduce drone and general annoyances while still leaving in some fun turbo noises

https://imgur.com/vqV4N2z.jpg

Mike @ Charnal House Inc.
Like us on Facebook!
Or send us a message at CharnalHouse@gmail.com

Why use mufflers when you can go full straight pipe? Or buy a cherry bomb or 5

Racing cars is for rookies. Racing crapcans takes balls.

Because it sucks when you get yanked off the track (Thunderhill) for being too loud and having to wait in line at the on-track muffler shop for the opportunity to part with several dead presidents in order to get back on the track.  Oh, if you have an ear-splitting rotary, you can ignore this because apparently the whine of a rotary can only heard by humans and not decibel meters.

ClayBelt wrote:

10x loser (Arse-Freeze '11 - Vodden '15) 1x WINNER! Arse-Freeze '14 in the Watermelon Volvo Wagon
Swedish Knievel Skycycle('90 Volvo 740 Wagon)

gump wrote:

Because it sucks when you get yanked off the track (Thunderhill) for being too loud and having to wait in line at the on-track muffler shop for the opportunity to part with several dead presidents in order to get back on the track.  Oh, if you have an ear-splitting rotary, you can ignore this because apparently the whine of a rotary can only heard by humans and not decibel meters.

ClayBelt wrote:

They do that?

Racing cars is for rookies. Racing crapcans takes balls.

15 (edited by BoB 2018-03-21 11:52 AM)

Some tracks are stricter than other but yes they will pull you for being too loud.

That being said as people have mentioned turbos do a pretty good job of muffling the noise as is, so it is possible you might not need one to stay below the noise limit.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

We will pull the pipe just past the turbo and see how she sounds

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

17 (edited by aventari 2018-03-21 01:22 PM)

Since you have a turbo, just get a cherry bomb in whatever diameter pipe you have. Bigger is better after the turbo.

I find that really loud cars increase driver fatigue over a 2 hour stint so you could run straight pipes, but if it's a bit quieter with the muffler and doesn't rob any precious hps or torques, it should be easier on the driver.

Takata R&D :: 1993 Accord - team captain - rear drum brakes lol
GoPro 360 Heros :: BMW E28  - co-captain

I'll add more details to our experience. Both cars, 4 cylinder turbos. Daytona was a 2.2, saab is a 2.3. Both were straight 2.5" pipe off the turbo and literally nothing else down stream. The daytona exited behind the driver's door, Saab went to the back of the car.

Both cars at NH, if you went to the stands, and stood at the fence which is right at the edge of the track, our cars barely sounded worse than a car going by on the highway when you caught them alone down the straight. They were downright quiet compared to most of the other cars passing.

In car, they seemed a touch loud and droneish at idle, but at speed? Not bad at speed. In fact fatigue was induced more by other loud cars around us than our own (looking at every car that for some reason backfires constantly off throttle. Fix your shit).

The first race with the saab we had the stock muffler, and we couldn't hear the damn engine with everyone else around us. Which is a problem when you're trying to keep revs to 5k and not hit the 6k limiter. We went to straight pipe and now it's just loud enough that you can here where you are in the rev range.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I think we are going to go with a straight pipe, that way we don't have to buy a muffler.  One of our guys wanted to route the pipe back up through the hood and put a flapper on it, needless to say, he was voted down...lol

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

Can't do that anyway, exhaust needs to exit behind the driver, it's right in the rules. You can route it up and over the roof if you really want, but it has to exit behind the driver.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

We know, he was just wanting to be cool

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

I highly recommend Powerstick mufflers by Classic Chambered Exhaust. Makes the dumbest POS 4-cylinders sound mean and throaty, and keeps the volume down without weighing much or creating significant backpressure. Looks like a glasspack but has nothing in it, so it never wears out.

K Car Stalker

We've always run a turbo'd car with a Thrush (Autozone) Cherry Bomb. Could probably sneak by without the Bomb but I would second the comment about driver fatigue. The noise (of your own exhaust) does get to you in the car and I have to say that running two-wide next to a side discharge car with no muffler of any kind makes your ears bleed...it sucks.

#9 Audi CQ Scooby Doo Car known as the Mystery Machine, #44 Audi 4KQ painted as a tribute car to the 1989 IMSA  car driven by Haywood, Stuck, and Rohrl, and the #95 Audi TT Lightning McQueen.