Topic: ST45 vs ST43

Although Porterfield's website showed they had ST43's in stock for my application, it turns out they do not, and are not sure when they will be receiving them from Raybestos.  I found this out by calling, since I had not received an email confirming shipment.

Anyway, I know several of you give high praise to the ST43 compound, but have you compared it to the ST45?  I am just doubting whether I made the right decision to get those instead.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

Re: ST45 vs ST43

We wanted to run the 43's when we upgraded to the C5/6 brakes, however NOBODY had it. So we went with a Wilwood pad. It is of similar compound and design. It worked very well. We were able to go way deep into the turns at well over 100 and get it wooed up.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Mr.Yuck wrote:

We wanted to run the 43's when we upgraded to the C5/6 brakes, however NOBODY had it. So we went with a Wilwood pad. It is of similar compound and design. It worked very well. We were able to go way deep into the turns at well over 100 and get it wooed up.

Really?  We run ST43's on our Dusbuster using the C5 brakes...always had the pads in under week.

4 (edited by VKZ24 2018-03-08 09:43 AM)

Where are you guys sourcing your ST43s?  We get ours from www.bestbrakes.com but they also take forever (at least 3-4 weeks) and they ain't what anyone would call cheap.  They do work well, and last a long time, so we just try an order them early.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:

Where are you guys sourcing your ST43s?

https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/

Even with a custom run I have them in like a week.

OnkelUdo wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

Really?  We run ST43's on our Dusbuster using the C5 brakes...always had the pads in under week.

We called a BUNCH of dealers even Raybestos... Nobody had any, said it would be a 3-4 weeks. The tech guy at one of the dealers recommended the Wilwood compound and Summit had it in stock.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Porterfield.  They did not list my Volvo on their website.  I emailed them with a picture of the brake pad and they knew exactly what it was and said they needed 3-5 days to custom make them.  ~$260 for the set.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

For the C5 brakes a lot of places stock them but LPI Racing and Porterfield both got them to me in like 3-4 days.  Porterfield also got us the same compound for the 2011+ Crown Vic in I think 5 days to the door.

Porterfield is local to me so if required I can go over there and ask them in person or deliver backing plates.  It's kind of a cool place.  Old crappy looking steel building.  You wander in and see people working in the back like any old time machine shop or junkyard except sitting on the unmanned very worn wooden order desk is the biggest auto brake disk you've ever seen or some random carbon/carbon disk/caliper from a prototype car that probably cost as much as a house.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Porterfield's website showed these pads were in stock (94 Mustang Cobra fronts).  When I did not get an email confirming shipment in ten days I gave them a call.  They told me they were not in stock.  They were expecting a shipment from Raybestos to arrive any day.  But then she checked and saw those pads would not be on that shipment, and she could not give me a time frame for when they would be available.  That is when she offered to send the ST45 compound instead.

Amazingly, these pads are cheaper for the Cobra brakes than just a standard V8 Mustang.  Go figure.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

topbrakes.com seem to be quicker to ship than porterfield.
I ordered a set Monday, shipped Tuesday.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Even though they listed my application as an apparently off-the-shelf item, when I got my ST43s from Porterfield, (for my oddball application,) they appeared to have been hand-ground from a sheet of friction material bonded to backing plates.  In other words, they appeared to have been custom-made.

I'm not sure why they can't custom-make a set in a similar fashion for a more common pad like yours.

Gotta say, if my experience is any indication, ST43s are worth waiting for.  In 50 hours of on-track time, .005" of rotor wear, lots of pad left, they bite hard cold or hot.  What's not to like?  The car is pretty light, but this is an insanely good performance.

Maximum Leader, Ruler for Life,
Dirty Rotten Cheating Bastards Racing

I think all of the race compounds are custom made. They just already have specs and backing plates on hand.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Rob,

I ordered 41s and same deal. they sent me 43's and I liked them alot.  They  also had 45's, but recommended 43 because we're on street tires.  Speed freaks usa is where I got them.  Not too spendy, either, maybe 179?

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!