Topic: Where did the Florida races go?

Didn’t there used to be a Lemons at Sebring and one at Daytona or something?  I want to make/join a team but the two closest races scheduled are 10+ hours away now. What happened?

Re: Where did the Florida races go?

The last Florida race according to the results pages was in 2014.

The forum here won't be able to give you an absolute answer as to why any particular track is dropped from the list. The usual subjects are schedule availability and profitability.

Hope you can find a way to make it work out for you!

Don't think Lemons ever raced at Daytona.

I think Chump still does...

Lemons did Sebring, but IIRC only like 25 cars showed up? Not profitable, so can't blame them for not returning.

I think it's just too far away from everything.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

Crap. I looked up the results and 27 people showed. But it looks like they did it in July which would definitely be why. Huge car culture down here. But I’m July it is hotter than hell during a personal injury lawyer convention and it has a monsoon every day from 1-3 followed by the worst humidity you have ever felt. Then add fire suits and asphault. So that is my guess as to why. They really need to try again but in the winter.

cbretonlaw wrote:

Crap. I looked up the results and 27 people showed. But it looks like they did it in July which would definitely be why. Huge car culture down here. But I’m July it is hotter than hell during a personal injury lawyer convention and it has a monsoon every day from 1-3 followed by the worst humidity you have ever felt. Then add fire suits and asphault. So that is my guess as to why. They really need to try again but in the winter.

That's the reason they did it in July... Take a wild guess on when the track rental is cheapest? Lemons cant afford Sebring at full rates.

Same reason we race at Road America and Road Atlanta in the winter....

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

That makes sense but running in cold and standard rain or even dessert heat is easier to deal with than the absolute monsoons and soul crushing heat/humidity that we get in July and August. There has to be some sort of middle ground.

Sebring was also 4th of July weekend.  Jay took the date, and a huge loss, to get on the track's calendar.  Lemons was supposed to get a better date in the following year, but it didn't happen.

The weather was rough, but not much worse than a hot CMP race.  Once you are over 90 degrees and 100% humidity, the extra 10 or 15 degrees isn't life changing.

It was pretty awesome to run at the smallest Lemons race (ever?).  Not often you get to chat with the Lemons staff for a few uninterrupted hours during the race.  Totally unsustainable though.

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

cbretonlaw wrote:

That makes sense but running in cold and standard rain or even dessert heat is easier to deal with than the absolute monsoons and soul crushing heat/humidity that we get in July and August. There has to be some sort of middle ground.

There doesn't really. A place like Sebring or Daytona can do as they wish. Especially since they have maintenance standards for BIG races that they need to cover when a bunch of dingbats go out and oil their track down and dent all their barriers with their crapcans. Or abandoned tipped over gas powered bar stools that found their way out on the track in the middle of the night. (god Summit Point was a great event)

There's is maybe 3 or 4 actually good weather races a year in Lemons. We don't get first dip at the schedule because I suspect most venues would rather host a lazy HPDE or half empty Club event full of hotel racers than choke down the garbage can and portajohn overloading 3 day circus of bacon and single use Harbor Freight Popup refuse. Also Lemons is an expensive outlay since it's all paid help run not a club/volunteer operation so that means venue costs have to be lower to stay in the black on a weekend.

And as long as the small track owners in Florida just want Left Turn only tracks, Sebring, Daytona, and Palm can charge what they like and still book up early. You live in circle track country.

That being said, the Sebring race was amazing, and the monsoon was only a little inconvenient. AND I DROVE FROM OHIO, so.....unfortunately travel is a part of a lot of people's Lemons experience. My CLOSEST event is 6 hours away.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

9 (edited by cbretonlaw 2018-03-27 01:36 PM)

You misunderstand me Guildenstern. I understand that Sebring and Daytona don’t need Lemons and can give them crap dates to make it affordable. But there are other road courses in Florida. They aren’t the same quality but they are there. The FIRM has a 1.6 mile road course. Palm Beach International Raceway has a 2 mile road course. And Sebring really is the ass end of nowhere so I am surprised that they are so picky but not surprised that no one will go there.

But anyways it’s just wishful thinking so that Indont have to drive 10 hours to the closest event.

The races haven't worked out well in florida.  Lemons even once got protested and had to change the name of a race.  The turn out at sebring meant that race was  a pretty big financial loss.  Probably figuring at this point that it isn't worth scheduling races in Florida.  Maybe if the NOLA race starts pulling in big numbers they will look to expanding into Florida again.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Protested?  Good lord!

Lemons went to PBIR on New Year's Eve 2010. Lemons is never going back to that place.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

13 (edited by Team Infinniti 2018-03-27 07:55 PM)

Would attend most any Fl event (regardless of weather) but no answer how to make Fl work

therood wrote:

Lemons went to PBIR on New Year's Eve 2010. Lemons is never going back to that place.

Not to mention, that place shreds tires..

Sebring rain? Gave us plenty of time to change the trans wink

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

therood wrote:

Story time?

I think it's Story Time!

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

Is that the race they had to change the name because of the Cubans protesting?

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

yea https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/car- … Fnxn0lbcP/

Ouch. Yeah I was raised in and around Miami. And Cubans have no sense of humor about Castro or Che. That’s how I knew for a fact that Kaepernick was never coming to the Dolphins the moment that I saw him put on a Castro shirt. You would be better off running the People Eating Tasty Animals 500 Race, BBQ  and Chili Cookoff near the offices of PETA than to do anything seemingly pro-Castro.  They don’t have a chill button. Sorry that this sucked for you. I hope that you figure stuff out with Florida cause I am intending to be there.  BTW if you want to do a race and BBQ near PETA I’m in.

18 (edited by VKZ24 2018-03-28 06:05 AM)

therood wrote:

And I was there! 

PBIR was/is a fun track, but their staff was NOT ready for a Lemons-sized crowd, and it was a fustercluck for sure.  We arrived about 6:00am to get in line in an attempt to get a decent paddock spot.  About 11:00am Jay shows up and asks why we are all still outside the gate?  Because they won't let us in....DUH!  Next they were attempting to park everyone in a particular spot and that turned into a total sh!t show as well.  Jay was not happy about the whole ordeal, which is why I assumed we'd never go back.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:

Jay was not happy about the whole ordeal, which is why I assumed we'd never go back.

It's not a long or particularly interesting story, but this quote pretty well sums it up.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

I thought the idea of a 24 hour race in southern Florida at New Years was awesome! The reality of getting there was not. I wish I had made that race.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Sebring was quite an experience. Although it's a hella long haul from Dallas, I'd do it again (although maybe not on July 4 weekend, the traffic to and from was the worst part. Multiple layers of mosquitos was the second worst part). There was a terrific thunderstorm in the middle of the race on Saturday that flooded the track for awhile and a lightning strike that took out the timing loop. Fun times.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

The Unplugged timing loop no less!

It jumped the literal air gap from the wire to the plug.

Lightning be crazy!

Tag for a Florida friendly race...