Topic: Looking to form a team in Birmingham area

I am looking to form a team in the Birmingham area.  Will probably limit racing to Birmingham, Atlanta, New Orleans, and Houston areas but possibly a little further.  I have a 2001 VW Beetle lined up for purchase in March - it runs well but has a rotten interior.  Maybe not a dream car, but should be great for Lemons. Green, not white, and won't be number 53 unless some obscure Lemons rule requires Beetles to carry #53.  Since it is currently being driven, will probably run first race as-is except for required roll cage and other mandatory safety changes - street tires, street brakes, etc.

I plan to do most of the work this summer and maybe run a race this fall, with the main goal being to start the season at Barbers next year.

Anyone interested in forming a team?

Re: Looking to form a team in Birmingham area

I want to drive one more time before I kick the bucket.  I'm 78 and am experienced.  I have a car for sale no matter.
It's a race proven Pontiac Fiero.  Old ITA racecar, former SCCA.  Ready to go but been sitting for about 5 years (inside).
Fired it up last week.  Call me if you have an interest.  If you don't want me, the car is for sale for a lot less than you
could build one.  Ol' Bob  870-219-1414

I'm tied up this evening, but will call this weekend.  Very interested in both the Fiero and a driver. 

I'm a complete novice at racing (not counting semi-wild teenage years), and would love to have an experienced "team mentor/coach", too.  I plan to pursue a team philosophy of "stay out of trouble and log laps" while learning, and trying to gradually get faster as we go.

Where are you located?

Stan

Stan
Call any time.  I'm in Jonesboro, Arkansas near Memphis, Tennessee

Ol' Bob.

Stan, sent you an email.
Hit me up.
Thanks.

I'm looking to join a team! I have some experience wrenching on and fixing cars, especially electrical. I have no experience in organized racing. I live in Tuscaloosa, though and would be willing to help any way  I can.

Jones

Great!  Can always use help wrenching, especially if you can do electrics without frying yourself or the ECU.  Lack of racing experience can be worked around, as I don't have any either.  As long as you're willing to subscribe to a "start slow and don't hit anything" philosophy,  we can gain experience the first couple of races and go faster as we get better.  Give me a call tomorrow late afternoon/early evening at 205-910-4966, or reply with a name & number and I'll call you this weekend. 

Currently have two in B'ham area (Alabaster and Trussville), and another possible in Trussville area.  Also have a guy interested in doing a couple of races with us who lives near Memphis.  We'll need to build the Beetle (1.8 Turbo, manual), so we are toying with the idea of buying a Lemons-ready car while we prep the Beetle.  The guy near Memphis has a Fiero that I'll try to go look at as soon as I get a free Saturday.

Stan

sent a PM

Jones

Stan,

I'm Frank Camper and we run a Super Bug out of Hueytown.

I'd like to invite you to drop by and we can talk. We VW guys need to stick together. I'm sure we can help you if you start your own team by donating parts, or maybe you'd like to run with us for practice.

What kind of racing experience do you have?

FJC

email me at fjcamper.kg@gmail.com

Frank,

Would love to talk, see your car, and get advice.  I sent an email with my phone number.  Please call tomorrow if you can.

Stan

Picking up the Beetle this weekend while in New Orleans.  Will strip it out over April.