Topic: Preventing Breakdown of Fuel Cell Foam

Most people I've talked to recommend emptying your cell after a race to preserve the foam. Some recommend flushing the cell with water, others say to open the cell and remove the foam to make sure it's clean and dry before storage.

I guess my main question is this: is it only the ethanol in gas that eats the foam, or will pure gasoline break it down as well? I'm thinking I could use an external electric pump to empty the cell via the Hydramat pickup (which would get it pretty damn empty), then throw in a few gallons of non-ethanol gas from the racetrack pumps to flush the cell and drive the car onto the trailer.

Thoughts? I don't mind opening up the cell to rinse off the foam and pickup every year or so, but I'm hoping to avoid having to do it after every race.

2 (edited by Guildenstern 2018-04-15 07:55 PM)

Re: Preventing Breakdown of Fuel Cell Foam

I think the prevailing wisdom is just keep it empty and dry. Contact with fuel is just going to make it break down sooner since it's basically surrounded by solvent, especially 10 - 15% ethanol.

I was told a while back that a Fuel Cell is NOT a fuel tank. For it to do its job properly and for the full 5 years of its life you basically have to MINIMIZE the time it spends in contact with fuel.

Even so, you'll still mostly only get 2 - 3 years out of foam. Luckily it's the "Cheapest" part of a fuel cell system.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

I think that if you drain/pump out the fuel you'll be fine.  I had a Fuel Safe cell in a race car and I had it for 10 years with no issues. This was a period of time before the ethanol was added to all fuels so take that fact for whatever you want.

If you do flush with water, pull the fuel pump out and run more fuel through it, or find some way to ensure it's 100% dry. I killed a brand new in line walbro by flushing with water, then popping the hose and assuming I got it dry. Seized up completely over the winter.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

FWIW, I just pulled the MetSHOs Fuel Safe cell out after 7 seasons of service. Original foam still in great shape. No special maintenance performed, usually dont even empty it.

Mike @ Charnal House Inc.
Like us on Facebook!
Or send us a message at CharnalHouse@gmail.com

shamwow wrote:

FWIW, I just pulled the MetSHOs Fuel Safe cell out after 7 seasons of service. Original foam still in great shape. No special maintenance performed, usually dont even empty it.

What type of foam? I’ve had foam break down after 2 years and clog the fuel filter. Now I drain after each race and even doing that you can see bits of foam in the hydramat.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Brett85p wrote:
shamwow wrote:

What type of foam? I’ve had foam break down after 2 years and clog the fuel filter. Now I drain after each race and even doing that you can see bits of foam in the hydramat.

I'd also like to hear the answer to this question. Also, what kind of fuel are you guys running? Ethanol-laced pump gas or pure track fuel? I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

The black ATL "large pore foam" in our ex-NASCAR cells has held up very well to regular E10 pump gas.

Hey guys,

We use the yellow foam that comes in higher end Fuel Safe cells.  The cell mentioned above was a Fuel Safe Enduro cell. For fuel, just pump gas (premium).  In addition to the filter sock, we have an a fuel filter from an OEM car (10um i believe) and I have cut them open before and no signs of foam.

(knocks on wood).

Mike @ Charnal House Inc.
Like us on Facebook!
Or send us a message at CharnalHouse@gmail.com

Good to know. My brand new ATL cell has yellow foam, so hopefully it's the same stuff. Even so, I went ahead and pumped it dry since it'll be sitting for a few months.

We use the large pore black stuff and the California fuel has certainly taken it's toll.  The canister filter would have quite a lot of foam bits in it.  Now that we have a Hydramat, our filter never gets clogged up, and it would take an awful lot of foam bits to clog a Hydramat.  I do try to drain the tank regardless, but sometimes forget.

I have a couple cells, one with black foam and an ATL with yellowish white foam. I haven't had breakdown issues and have not done anything special.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z