Topic: I do not recommend Bassett Wheel

Very poor customer service. Incredibly so.

First time I ordered DIRECTLY with the company and their western sales rep exchanging both emails and telephone calls, going with their recommendations, including getting lug nuts through them, and paying full retail and then I was shipped the wrong hole pcd. Seems they felt 4 x 100 was the same as 4x4"

Finally got that sorted weeks later after tires were mounted and balanced (stupid me for not checking before mounting tires, I know).

Oh, and since they had to remake the wheels, I asked them to amend / reduce the width from 8" to 7" and either they didn't or wouldn't because what I got back was 8". Likely they reused the shells. Fine.

Now: A driver damaged a wheel at Infineon. Ordered 2 new ones again directly with the company via email on Nov 7th, invoiced Nov 8th and I followed up with a phone call Nov 8th. Expected ship date listed as Nov 11th on invoice.

Hadn't heard anything--no shipping update, no nothing. So I called yesterday.  They closed at 10 min before the hour. Fine. I shoulda remembered to call earlier in the day.

Called just now and was told, "It looks like those shells are out of stock. And, unfortunately, it doesn't look like we're not going to get any more until some time next week. When do you need them by?"

yesterday.

Anyone have a contact at Diamond I should use?

Re: I do not recommend Bassett Wheel

have you looked at stockton?

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

Spank wrote:

Very poor customer service. Incredibly so.

First time I ordered DIRECTLY with the company and their western sales rep exchanging both emails and telephone calls, going with their recommendations, including getting lug nuts through them, and paying full retail and then I was shipped the wrong hole pcd. Seems they felt 4 x 100 was the same as 4x4"

Finally got that sorted weeks later after tires were mounted and balanced (stupid me for not checking before mounting tires, I know).

Oh, and since they had to remake the wheels, I asked them to amend / reduce the width from 8" to 7" and either they didn't or wouldn't because what I got back was 8". Likely they reused the shells. Fine.

Now: A driver damaged a wheel at Infineon. Ordered 2 new ones again directly with the company via email on Nov 7th, invoiced Nov 8th and I followed up with a phone call Nov 8th. Expected ship date listed as Nov 11th on invoice.

Hadn't heard anything--no shipping update, no nothing. So I called yesterday.  They closed at 10 min before the hour. Fine. I shoulda remembered to call earlier in the day.

Called just now and was told, "It looks like those shells are out of stock. And, unfortunately, it doesn't look like we're not going to get any more until some time next week. When do you need them by?"

yesterday.

Anyone have a contact at Diamond I should use?

No, but I have had great experiences with Diamond

Mike
Hong Norrth
#39 TRON Gray/Orange MX-3, aka "Sumbich"

Jackasic wrote:

have you looked at stockton?

I've heard plenty of bad things about Stockton.  If you want an earful, go to the H.A.M.B and search.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Stockton wheel has been around 120 years I've got a few sets from them without a problem .

They are under new ownership
the previous owner died after owning since 77 .

I'm about 45 minutes from them if you need me to pick up.

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Yep, talk to Bill at Diamond.

16 great wheels delivered here.
Good customer service and quick shipping.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

http://www.aeroracewheels.com/

I bought a set for my RX-7 a few years back when they had a clearance sale. The customer service was good.

Hm. My experience was backwards, Diamond screwed me up and Bassett got me going. I discovered there's lots of wheel manufacturers trying to pas 4x4" off as 4x100mm and that ain't so.

About lug nuts: you do NOT want to use 60 degree taper nuts on wheels designed for 45 degree taper, this will quickly destroy the seat and ruin the wheel. The problem is that 45 degree nuts are really hard to find in East Nowhere, USA particularly in metric. But I found that 'ball seat' lug nuts will work perfectly on 45 degree taper wheels and are easily found in metric. A lot of Hondas and some European cars used them.

http://t3technique.com/media/images/lugs/Pro-Nut-R14-19-O_lg.jpg

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

Tammy at VTO wheels to the rescue!

http://64.27.130.204/

Excellent customer service and after I sent her a link to an article on the moke from last year's Buttonwillow (thanks Phil!) She's next day air-ing them to me at her expense!

I used some Circle steel wheels last year and the were fairly light for a steel wheel, but the sales rep talked me into putting my valve stem in the back.  Foolish me.  He said the stems would clear the calipers.  Of course they didn't.  I had to use flush stems that are more commonly found on show cars.   Nice wheels, but I've got six of them and don't intend to ever use them again.  4x100, 13x7, with 4.5 back-spacing, about 13 lbs.

The Tire Rack has their own brand of alloy wheels that are fairly light and pretty reasonably priced.  Might be worth a look.

Maximum Leader, Ruler for Life,
Dirty Rotten Cheating Bastards Racing

Don't bother with Bart wheels either.  Bought a pair of mini stock wheels and the center hole wasn't centered at all.  Had to take my die grinder to open them up so the 1" lug nuts would seat correctly.

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Bullitt Bobcat 2.0

About all these wheels: WTF is it with using the large diameter valve stem holes? Just about everything out there in passenger car land uses a .453 diameter stem hole and all the steelies I bought had .625 which is some kind of farm implement size.

Oh, and the Diamonds had poorly finished stem holes that made it impossible to put the stems in without ripping them up. I had to Dremel the burrs off which of course removed the powder coat. The Bassett stem holes were nicely finished, made me think someone gave a shit. Diamond also (with 2 months lead time) nearly made me miss a big meet, I got several excuses. Their excuse at the end was 'they aren't pinstriped'. As if I give a crap about pinstripes.

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

I had to have my Hemi wheels welded where the valve stems came thru.  Seems they were oval back in the day.  The kids at the tire store just stood there scratching.  We welded them and re-drilled the holes

This space for rent.

No specific contact, but Diamond is a small shop and the same couple of guys always answered the phone when I called.  I concur that they were great, knew exactly what I was talking about in terms of 4x98s with the right offset for a Fiat 131.  Immediate reaction when I said I needed 15x7s on 4x98 hubs was "you must be Lemons racing an old Fiat or Alfa".  Wheels arrived perfect.  Not cheap, but perfect.  Probably the nicest looking parts on our crapcan and made a huge difference vs. running the stock 13 inchers.  I'd say just call 'em and you won't go wrong.

Scuderia Regurgito  '75 Fiat 131, '93 e36
2010 Stafford: Winner, class ugly  2011 NJMP: Organizer's Choice and violently exploded gearbox
2011 Stafford: Most From the Least, 2012 NJMP: Shockingly issue free, 2012 Loudon: Rod thru block
2012 Hooptiefest: Multiple spun bearings, 2013 Monticello: Head gaskets, 2013 Loudon: More head gaskets, 2013 NJMP, 2013 Hooptiefest, 2014 NJMPx2 and Heroic Fix

Anyone else have any experience more recent regarding Bassett or Diamond wheels?

Team Safety 3rd Racing.
1985 Dodge Daytona Turbo-currently being lemonized.
https://www.facebook.com/TeamSafety3rdRacing/

I've bought wheels from Pete Paulson (http://www.petepaulsen.com/home.html) and had a good experience.  He'l even sell you unpainted bare steel wheels if you want.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Safety3rdRacing wrote:

Anyone else have any experience more recent regarding Bassett or Diamond wheels?

Not overly recent but I bought wheel from them for my YJ a couple of years ago and was very pleased with them and their customer service. I plan to order some for the Mustang in he next couple of weeks.

Just an update, I ordered 6 Inertia Advantage wheels on Monday and received them this morning.I've had good customer service both times I've ordered from them. Your mileage may vary on shipping though because I live 1 1/2 hours away from the factory..

Safety3rdRacing wrote:

I've only dealt with them directly once, but felt like the customer service was pretty good. I ordered a set of inertia advantage wheels for a street car from summit, but summit didn't carry the lugs i needed. Called Bassett and got them pretty quickly. It didn't hurt that the wheels I needed were just off the shelf dirt track wheels.