Topic: The "Build me a $5,000 $500 Lemons car" Thread

Alternative title: Raw nerve ointment, please.
Alternative, alternative title: Show me how you built your $500 crapcan with your checkbook.

Please give me a spreadsheet of a $5000 build of a Lemons-legal $500 car that cannot be done more cheaply and with still a reasonably equivalent level of safety.

Re: The "Build me a $5,000 $500 Lemons car" Thread

5k is about what it will cost...unless you can weld in the cage.
We started with a $750 84 Trans Am
Sold off $1000 in parts
paid $3000 for the cage
$200 for the corvette 17x9.5's
Tires are about $200-250ea
Brake upgrade was $400
new bushings, sway bar links $200ish
shocks/struts (good ones) $250-300
seat $420
Hans $300
belts $100?
that will get you started...  then you have engine upgrades those can run from $0-hundreds.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

I think the next build will likely fit Spank's description but for the most part we have spent about $2500 per build to get to the track on the last two vehicles.  It COULD be done by us for about $1500 but we replace reliability related hoses, belts, etc and I will NOT race drum brakes (not because they are bad, but because I hate working on them) so every car gets those replaced with discs.  We also buy the pads we love because long term they are a bargain...lasting 3-5 races.

$650 for RCC pre-bent cage
$30 in welding consumables
$25-50 for a kill switch and wire
$0 borrow seat and belts from one of our other cars
$0 crappy tires on the car with spares (also crappy) off a prior build
$30 set of rockauto budget pads at each corner.
$30 in custom radiator hoses (as in cut up four to make two)
$50 random steel
$15 in fuel pressure regulator

Other things I might have missed but this even includes a drivetrain swap so might have a custom driveshaft in there but hoping again to just find one that sorta fits and cut it down.

Figures I see this thread while on the way to the track, without my laptop.  I kept close track of the build costs on our Del Sol.  Budget was 4.5k.  Ended up slightly under budget.  I can pull the details when we get back from CMP.

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

we started with the factory 4 wheel disc and upgraded to the C5/6 fronts so we could drive deep into the corners. I will say this, DO NOT SKIMP on brakes. Unless you have a GOOD welder you are risking the cage not cert'ing. and as mentioned replaces all the "wear" items, belts hoses, t-belt/chain... I think the main thing is to get a car YOU KNOW. If you are a Honda guy get a honda, if you are a Furd guy get a Furd... Also consider parts avaiability at the track. A 87 Saab turbo might run great and be cheap but break something at the track and you could be done for the day. We have had to run to the parts store for all sorts of things... a mid 80's SBC is easy to get parts for.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

6 (edited by chaase 2018-04-26 06:25 AM)

We've always built our own cages, so it saves us a lot of money. We estimate it at around $2500 to build a new car. This build was fairly cheap but we also took parts from our old car to reduce the cost even further.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

I suppose it also involves balancing budget with reliability, as once you get beyond the absolute necessities for passing inspection, there are numerous discretionary items that get you more reliability:
-fuel lines
-fuel pump
-fuel cell
Just hop around the forum and see how many teams spend their first few races sorting out fuel supply challenges
-brake lines
-quality rotors
-quality pads
There is a direct correlation between how much you spend and how long they last
-radio communications
-hoses, belts, plugs, coil, etc.
Very rarely does a $500 car come with new ones
-highly functional radiator and cooling fan
A critical component rarely found on $500 car
-shocks/struts
Again, not in race worthy condition on a $500 purchase

It would be difficult to sufficiently address all of the above for under $5k while simultaneously meeting the necessities. I realize the post is about meeting the 5k, but I don’t want anybody to get the false impression that you can meet the $5k and still cover all bases on reliability. The best strategy for a fully sorted car at the lowest possible price imo remains purchasing a quality car that somebody has already built, but that obviously removes the fun of the build.

#9 Audi CQ Scooby Doo Car known as the Mystery Machine, #44 Audi 4KQ painted as a tribute car to the 1989 IMSA  car driven by Haywood, Stuck, and Rohrl, and the #95 Audi TT Lightning McQueen.

I think what Spank is getting at is that some of us are the opposite of the "$500 car my Ass!!" people.  Telling everyone that it costs at least $5000 to build a car.  Yes, it costs more than $500 to build a car for Lemons racing, but not every Lemons build costs $5000.  You can build the car much cheaper than $5000.

However, for your first race, you are likely to spend approximately $5000 to get on track.

$500 car purchase
$1000 cage
$400 seat
$150 belt
$300 misc safety (kill switch, brakes, fire extinguisher, etc.)

So the car build will be around $2350.  Much less than the "every Lemons car costs $5k".

However, to get onto the track and run most of the weekend, you will also need:

$1400 entry fee

$250 misc. supplies (fuel cans, fire extinguisher, drip pan, spares, etc.)

$250 fuel

Total of this with the car is $4250.  Does not include transportation and lodging.  Does not include personal safety gear.  Including these can easily put you over the $5k.

There probably should be two lists.  One is the "I Pay Retail" listing of paying full retail for new parts and the other is "I scrounge Craigslist" where you get all your stuff used plus build your own cage and do your own fabrication.  Option #2 requires that you have more time to source stuff but also means you can pull off Lemons for 30% of what other people may spend.  Our first car was the former but everything since then has been the latter.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I don't think it's unreasonable to tell people that $5k to get through your first race is the norm. It shows that there's more to this than $500 and a car. Obviously some people can pull it off for less, but I think most who are coming into this green without all the fab skills will be pushing towards the $5k mark.

The daytona was a true $5k purchase through race weekend car. We knew nothing about what we were doing. The Saab was likely half that since we did the cage ourselves, already had a lot of the other gear, and knew what we were doing.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

11 (edited by DirtyDuc 2018-04-26 01:10 PM)

never mind... wrong thread.

That guy

Spank wrote:

Please give me a spreadsheet of a $5000 build of a Lemons-legal $500 car that cannot be done more cheaply and with still a reasonably equivalent level of safety.

I have an A&D for my race in May.  He's from another established team.  I am honestly surprised at how different our approaches are to the race. 

Here is what I consider a minimum build to be reasonably sure to get a weekend out of a car.  Especially if I have no experience with that make/model car and it's shortcomings. 

Car - $500
6 wheels - $600
6 tires - $1200
Good seat - $600
Good Harness - $500
Cage (we build ourselves but if we can't) - $2000
2 sets of good Brake pads - $600
SFI Fire system - $600
Cool shirt - $450
Cutoff switch - $100
general maint (oil, brake fluid, wiper blades, wire, wink mirror, etc.) - $200

That's ~$7300.  That's not even into if you want to have spares.  We do.  We keep a set of calipers, rotors, plugs, coil, etc. 

Yes, you can skimp on things like the seat or harness but we don't like to.  If I'm going to be in that seat for 4 hours a weekend, I don't want to come out of the car feeling like I've gone a couple of rounds with Ronda Rousey.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

13 (edited by Fishah 2018-04-26 01:14 PM)

RobL wrote:
Spank wrote:

I have an A&D for my race in May.  He's from another established team.  I am honestly surprised at how different our approaches are to the race. 

Here is what I consider a minimum build to be reasonably sure to get a weekend out of a car.  Especially if I have no experience with that make/model car and it's shortcomings. 

Car - $500
6 wheels - $600
6 tires - $1200
Good seat - $600
Good Harness - $500
SFI Fire system - $600
Cool shirt - $450
Cutoff switch - $100

That's ~$7300.  That's not even into if you want to have spares.  We do.  We keep a set of calipers, rotors, plugs, coil, etc. 

Yes, you can skimp on things like the seat or harness but we don't like to.  If I'm going to be in that seat for 4 hours a weekend, I don't want to come out of the car feeling like I've gone a couple of rounds with Ronda Rousey.

Yep, this. Many of us do not possess the fab skills, or the time, to do our own cage or scavenge the internet for parts.

Also your definition of minimum safety, and mine, may be different. I wouldn't run without a fiberglass containment seat, or fire suppression, or high quality belts, etc.

$500 car
$2000 Cage
$1000 seat
$500 fire system
$500 cool suit
$500 good belts
$300 steering wheel QR

That's $5300 just for a safe shell.

--

On my car, we still had to add:

$2,500 for Brakes (thanks Porsche)
$1,300 for exhaust
$1,500 for wheels/tires

Plus whatever for fluids, hoses, belts, balljoints, tie-rods, etc.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

14 (edited by Brett85p 2018-04-26 12:34 PM)

Heres a different take on this based on my experience.

Buy an old SCCA car that has dated so much it can't keep up with a rental car at the Autocross track on trailer with cage that needed 2x door bars to be Lemons legal for $1500. (car came with coil overs, big sway bar and 4 barrel Holley making it seem hella cheaty)
Add door bars $30
subtract value of trailer $1000
Sell other stuff that is not Lemons friendly (10 inch wide wheels with slicks) $400, Twin Carbs and manifold $450
Buy Primewells $240.....
Replace tiny autocross fuel cell with Jaz non FIA rated cell $250, (same hookups and lines as original cell)

Add theme and go racing.....$170 or there abouts.....

This is how we showed up for our first race...still got Class A and 15 laps.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

I think Rob's approximate $7300 is closer to reality. I would move some values around but in the end it would work out to be about that much. It is important to understand that this is just the cost of the car and only the first pass to get it to the track for the first race so you can really figure out what is wrong with it. If it is a new team, hopefully everybody gets enough seat time to keep them committed.

Reusing parts from a previous build without assessing a value for those parts isn't a fair valuation. What are those parts worth as used parts and would you really buy them as used without knowing the history (harness?).

16 (edited by chaase 2018-04-26 01:50 PM)

RobL wrote:
Spank wrote:

Car - $500
6 wheels - $600
6 tires - $1200
Good seat - $600
Good Harness - $500
SFI Fire system - $600
Cool shirt - $450
Cutoff switch - $100

It depends on what you are building.  Tires don't cost us $200/each. Rims don't cost us $200/each since we tend to use what is on the car already.   $500.00 for harnesses?!?! The most expensive i've seen is $250 for cam-lock. You can get much cheaper than that, even if you have to toss after 3 years.

Cool shirt is optional, SFI Fire system is optional but a good idea.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

17 (edited by Brett85p 2018-04-26 01:49 PM)

From my last three races I would put windshield de-froster ahead of cool shirt set up from a drivers comfort and safety perspective!

18 (edited by Fishah 2018-04-26 01:54 PM)

chaase wrote:
RobL wrote:
Spank wrote:

Car - $500
6 wheels - $600
6 tires - $1200
Good seat - $600
Good Harness - $500
SFI Fire system - $600
Cool shirt - $450
Cutoff switch - $100

It depends on what you are building.  Tires don't cost us $200/each. Rims don't cost us $200/each.  $500.00 for harnesses?!?! The most expensive i've seen is $250 for cam-lock. You can get much cheaper than that, even if you have to toss after 3 years.

FIA Harness, with pull-up belts, 3" laps with 2" shoulders, are $500: https://www.ogracing.com/sparco-fia-han … ng-harness

Fire system will not be optional very much longer.

I have $250 G-Force belts in my car and I fking hate them.

Brett85p wrote:

From my last three races I would put windshield de-froster ahead of cool shirt set up from a drivers comfort and safety perspective!

Some of that is definitely region specific. I never needed a cool suit in the midwest. I would never want to race in 90+ Cali sun without one though.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

Fishah wrote:
chaase wrote:
RobL wrote:

Car - $500
6 wheels - $600
6 tires - $1200
Good seat - $600
Good Harness - $500
SFI Fire system - $600
Cool shirt - $450
Cutoff switch - $100

It depends on what you are building.  Tires don't cost us $200/each. Rims don't cost us $200/each.  $500.00 for harnesses?!?! The most expensive i've seen is $250 for cam-lock. You can get much cheaper than that, even if you have to toss after 3 years.

FIA Harness, with pull-up belts, 3" laps with 2" shoulders, are $500: https://www.ogracing.com/sparco-fia-han … ng-harness

Fire system will not be optional very much longer.

I have $250 G-Force belts in my car and I fking hate them.

Brett85p wrote:

Some of that is definitely region specific. I never needed a cool suit in the midwest. I would never want to race in 90+ Cali sun without one though.

I didn't check FIA belts. That explains the cost.

I think the original point of this thread is that there are ways to build and go racing for less than $5k, buying a prepared car is for sure one of these as is a simple, cage it and race it approach. It really depends on what you are chasing in Lemons, if you want an out of the box Class A car thats competitive it is hard to do without all the expensive budget exempt parts (brakes, wheels, fuel cell etc) but if you are chasing Class C glory it is possible to achieve with a CL special, a welder and some tube!

Everyone is going to have their version of the "must have" containment seat and FIA belts but there are plenty of teams with perfectly legal $70 belts and used Kirky dirt track seats out there having a great time.

21 (edited by RobL 2018-04-26 06:11 PM)

chaase wrote:

It depends on what you are building.  Tires don't cost us $200/each. Rims don't cost us $200/each since we tend to use what is on the car already.   $500.00 for harnesses?!?! The most expensive i've seen is $250 for cam-lock. You can get much cheaper than that, even if you have to toss after 3 years.

Rims were $100 each - that's $400/set.  Rims and tires are one of those things you /can/ skimp on but it ends up costing more in the long run.  When you don't run enough tire, you end up slipping and over/under steering and that wears the tires.  A 16" ZII star spec is $160 right now at tirerack.  With tax, shipping, and mounting $200/tire is normal.  Sure, you could go with something less sticky, but then why are we here?  Why build a car that is not going to go as fast as it can go using parts that are cost unrestricted.  It's like saying that your going to use autozone pads and then take 15 minutes after every stint to change them.  You /could/ and you would save money but why?

That's also the cool shirt and seat.  If I'm not having as much fun at the end of my stint than at the beginning, then I'm doing something wrong.  Before we got the driver comfort down, I would wish for my stint to be over after about an hour.  Both are safety/comfort items that are not part of the build budget.

We run FIA belts.  Our belts were over $600.  The ones we get have pull bars that can get the belts really tight.  Again, comfort and safety.  We don't fight our belts.  They tighten and loosen easily and then stay tight for the entire stint.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

Ours ran over $7000 back in 2012. CHEATURRRZ!

Seriously, don't use a huge heavy expensive German car and insist on the best of fluids, a NASCAR Cup grade cage, and have a bunch of engineers involved, it will be cheaper in the long run. But we did get over a dozen races out of it without a hell of a lot of drama. The epic overheat at Inde only came once my "good enough" mindset was firmly in place for a few races.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Brett85p wrote:

if you are chasing Class C glory it is possible to achieve with a CL special, a welder and some tube!

Yes, you can get on the track for a lot less than $5000.  And if you are into masochism, you can do an absolute minimal job of prepping a car (especially a class C car).  But if you want to have a reasonably good chance of being in the car instead of under it for more than 50% of the weekend, that's going to cost time and money.

This is a good opportunity for a reality check for myself.
As I remember:
Car 325 - about 300 in junk I sold on eBay
Donor car 325
Cage 400 in material
Seat 220 + 80 passenger seat
Harness x2= 140
Race capture 400
Radio stuff 100
Suspension 110
Brakes 500
Electrical 40
Wheels x 8= 240
Tires 320
Diff 60
Misc (mirrors, extinguisher, fasteners, blah, blah) 60

Eyeballing it total: $3,000

End result was a no laps class B car. Passed tech first try. Drove onto the trailer at end of the race.
I should acknowledge that the car was in bottom 40% In terms of speed. I bought a bunch stuff to ghetto charge for about $250 but instead I’m leaning toward putting in a $150 Craigslist Fuel Safe to simplify refueling.
I don’t work in the car/engineering/fabrication world professionally but have just been figuring it out as I go.

Tri-Lamb Motorsports ‘87 528e

25 (edited by DirtyDuc 2018-04-26 11:07 PM)

Quoting RobL, with caveats
Car - $500 (or less)
6 wheels - $600 (-4 already on the car, plus two because tire irons are work = $100 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clm- … overview/)
6 tires - $1200 (prices start at half this for a wide variety of 16 inch tires*, so really $600.)
Good seat - $600 (I'll leave this, but you can pass tech for ~$100)
Good Harness - $500 (I can see the value in buying the fancy harness, even if I don't do it... we'll call it $150)
Cage (we build ourselves but if we can't) - $2000 (weld-together $650 plus welder... This depends on time and workspace. Minimum $400 +welder ($500+) and bender ($800)
2 sets of good Brake pads - $600 (I don't know what car this is... this number is highly variable)
SFI Fire system - $600 (For next year, but fair enough)
Cool shirt - $450 (It's your first time, you can't run longer than an hour whether you have a cool shirt or not. $0)
Cutoff switch - $100 (or $25 for a metal two-post from Summit, which is only $10 more than the tech-passing jobby from Walmart)
general maint (oil, brake fluid, wiper blades, wire, wink mirror, etc.) - $200 (Oil comes from tractor supply in 5 gallon jugs @ $45 a jug. But I'll give you $200 in general)

How that works out in a spreadsheet-ish format:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-OjgkAR6px9A/WuK9S4wOpoI/AAAAAAAACYs/LZbm1Y1NqPs1V5RLe65eolseh-AUfZS8gCL0BGAs/w530-d-h274-n-rw/Spreadsheet.PNG

Just remember, you still have to add entry fees...

This is really a game of expectation management. For noobs, one hour stints are totally reasonable. As most of these noob-advice posts point out, "U will not win the first time!"

*Wheels and tires on the 924 were laying around for the first race, and I only run 4 wheels. I actually only bring 4 tires.

**Difference is buying the brakes from Pelican, solid rotors and Porterfield R4-S pads.

***Fishah's fancy shit doesn't count fancy axles.

****My fancy shit includes a clutch disc before hitting the track... I've watched the wrap-up videos.

Because let's face it, even if you (as the captain and financier of this team) are Mr. Gofasty McFastypants, you probably aren't being held back by the tires (maybe if you are a professional race driver and track day instructor). And changing tires at the track sucks, even if you have a fancypants machine.

Don't buy fancy oil unless you have a fancy engine... why did you bring a fancy engine to Lemons?! You're changing it every weekend anyway, right? Unless you are boiling your brake fluid, same with that. If you are, you need to fix the actual problem...

Some significant percent of Lemons problems seem related to the loose nut behind the wheel anyway. Fix things that need fixing, bring spare wheel bearings and a spare head gasket. It'll be fine.

That guy