1 (edited by peakay 2018-04-19 11:07 PM)

Topic: 944: crap or gold? Please help a newb

Ok, we are a new team and found a 1984 944 with a 1985.5 engine (hell if we know what this means).  Car has whine from the balance belts and smokes some, but otherwise seems perfect.  Solid 175-180 compression across all cylinders.  Might have oem fuch wheels that would out us at or close to $0 before we start.

HOWEVER...I'm reading that 944s are not so reliable Lemons racers.

Should we move on?  What are the pros/cons of these cars?

Thanks!

Re: 944: crap or gold? Please help a newb

Pros: really fun and quick when they're running right.
Cons: they break, and when they break they require a lot of time, effort, sweat, crying, and dollars to fix.

What's your mechanical ability? I would say they are not a great beginner car. They have some known flaws and can be a pain in the ass to work on. I know this because the car i bought to teach myself how to work on cars was a 1987 924s, which was just a narrow body 944. Getting the engine out is annoying. Doing the cltuch requires either the engine come out, or the whole transaxle and torque tube (what they call the drive shaft). You need to check the clutch because the OEM rubber hub ones love to randomly explode when they get this old.

If you're mechanically inclined and want a car that will reward a lot of preemptive work to make sure it's done right, they're really fun to drive. If however you don't like the idea of wasting a ton of money and time when something breaks, maybe look for a different car.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I think it speaks volumes about a "fast" car when it took 10 years for one to win a Lemons race but there are always some entered.  Our first attempt to build a Lemons car was a 944.  From later observations it looks like we are kind of lucky to give up on it.  From what I can see they throw rods unless you do some bottom end mods and when they do break they seem to be off track for hours at a time which leads me to believe that they are not trivial cars to repair.  In Lemons, the Heroic Fix trophy usually goes to a team who performed some superhuman feat involving welding together parts from different makes of car to repair their badly damaged car so it can return to the race.  With a 944, it has been awarded to teams that simply managed to replace a clutch in a weekend.  Plus, you pay a premium for parts because of the name.  I'd run one if I owned a Porsche wrecking yard but wouldn't recommend one for a newbie team.

But every time that 944 turbo comes flying by me on afterburners at the west coast races I have envy.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I'm also under the impression there are some special tools involved for what should be regular maintenance (like changing those balance belts).

And the computer thing referred to as a DME appears to be notorious for hosting gremlins (not that the earlier mechanical system doesn't host gremlins, too).

That guy

944s are fun but frustrating. As mentioned, when things break, repair often means pulling all sorts of stuff apart just to get to what failed. My analogy is that they're built like a 7-layer dip, and everything you want to fix is down in the beans.

DMEs fail randomly and frequently. Rods try to get their way to freedom.

Parts with a Porsche logo on them are costly, so you need to be creative at finding the equivalent part # for Audi, VW, Mercedes-Benz, etc.

And for all your effort, you'll get lap times not that different from your neighbors who dragged a Focus out of a field and put good tires on it.

That said, they're fun when they work. Nice balance, excellent brakes, and non-racers think it's special when you say you race a Porsche (and leave out all the details.)

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

I'd love to have a 944, but I would probably do something stupid like put a chevy driveline in it.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

I'd say get something else if you are looking to just get a car and race it.   
As everyone indicated, hard to work on is my experience also

Thanks all!  Moving on from the 944...probably to an alfa.

9 (edited by Fishah 2018-04-21 08:53 AM)

peakay wrote:

I'm not sure you've quite understood the point people are making lol.

That's like saying that you've given up on understanding the universe because it's too complicated, so you'll go ahead and invent time travel instead.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

Given the choice, I'd go with the Alfa too.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Alfas and 944s are both really hard to fix when they break, but the 944 will break more often. Parts for the Alfa will be harder to find (until you build up your private parts-car junkyard, which is easy because basket-case Milanos and 164s are dirt cheap).

12 (edited by fleming95 2018-04-21 01:05 PM)

Fishah wrote:
peakay wrote:

I'm not sure you've quite understood the point people are making lol.

That's like saying that you've given up on understanding the universe because it's too complicated, so you'll go ahead and invent time travel instead.

Best summary of what makes Lemons (work?) that I've heard in, like, ever!

(oh, and as for the subject: 944: crap or gold? - why not both?)

FYI a Small Block Chevy bolts right up to the trans and they make drop in kits...

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

peakay wrote:

Yeeessssssssssss.......

Don't know which model Alfa you guys are migrating to (Spider? Milano? GTV6?), but if you find yourself looking for a particular part made of unobtanium.... drop me a line.  My brother, Mike, has been collecting, building and racing Alfas for 30+ years and has a parts horde that ends all hordes. 

We're about an hour west of Chicago.  Where are you guys located? 

Darren

Bad Mojo Racing
1971 Opel GT "Breadvan"
2012 - April Gingerman (Ercole Spada Award) and October AutoBahn (19th in Class B, 52nd OA )
2013 - April Gingerman (8th in Class B, 25th OA) and June AutoBahn (WINNER Class B, 9th OA)

Fishah wrote:

Ha, I thought Lemons racers were supposed to be brave!

Well, that and the 944 sold before we realized what we had and my buddy is into alfas, so there we go.  That and I've seen a number of articles about how Alfas are shockingly reliable.

peakay wrote:
Fishah wrote:

Ha, I thought Lemons racers were supposed to be brave!

Well, that and the 944 sold before we realized what we had and my buddy is into alfas, so there we go.  That and I've seen a number of articles about how Alfas are shockingly reliable.

You could probably drop a Furd T-Bird Turbo coupe motor in there (2.3l turbo) and some were stick

17 (edited by peakay 2018-04-25 11:49 AM)

OK, so we have a line on an 88 Milano Verde, about 100k miles, been sitting in garage for several years.  Older owner passed away and son is selling it.  Looks really solid.  It's ours for $1250.

• Do you think we can sell enough parts from it to get down to Lemons level?  I know these have really great recaros in them and the car allegedly has a bolt of original recaro fabric in it to redo the seats.  Problem is, these cars are so cheap and the enthusiasts of them are too, so thinking probably 400 max on the seats.

• Good car?  I know they are complicated with the rear trans/brakes, but supposed to be inexplicably reliable on the track.  I think these were rated #2 on the reliability scale on an old article from MM?  Plus, glorious sound!

@Alferrari Fistillini - defintiely!  We are west coast based, but I have a working fedex account....

Thanks all!  Looking forward to the party!

I don't think anyone is going to care if your Alfa cost $1250 or $500. It's an Alfa. If you have the budget to buy it and you're into those, get it. I don't have the patience for them, but it's always nice to hear those V6 on the track. I almost wrecked chasing a GTV6 on track  once, I was just trying to keep within earshot of that AWESOME exhaust note smile

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Peakay -

At that price, you should be able to sell off enough interior bits, trim and glass to get you within the Lemons budget.

You've got a really good support system for Alfas on the left coast.  Look up Brian Shorey and his gang of Alfa fanatics.  His team raced a Milano in like 90 Lemons races before they finally split every seam on the car.  The 3.0L engines run like freight trains and the chassis is very tunable.  And like Type44 says about the glorious exhaust note.... the aria emanating from the tailpipe can make women swoon and grown men weep.

Let me know if you need anything.

Darren

Bad Mojo Racing
1971 Opel GT "Breadvan"
2012 - April Gingerman (Ercole Spada Award) and October AutoBahn (19th in Class B, 52nd OA )
2013 - April Gingerman (8th in Class B, 25th OA) and June AutoBahn (WINNER Class B, 9th OA)

peakay wrote:

OK, so we have a line on an 88 Milano Verde, about 100k miles, been sitting in garage for several years.  Older owner passed away and son is selling it.  Looks really solid.  It's ours for $1250.

• Do you think we can sell enough parts from it to get down to Lemons level?  I know these have really great recaros in them and the car allegedly has a bolt of original recaro fabric in it to redo the seats.  Problem is, these cars are so cheap and the enthusiasts of them are too, so thinking probably 400 max on the seats.

• Good car?  I know they are complicated with the rear trans/brakes, but supposed to be inexplicably reliable on the track.  I think these were rated #2 on the reliability scale on an old article from MM?  Plus, glorious sound!

@Alferrari Fistillini - defintiely!  We are west coast based, but I have a working fedex account....

Thanks all!  Looking forward to the party!

for that kind of cash you can buy  something a lot more racey.  that said you should be able to sell ennough. We sold over $1000 off of our L69 84 Trans Am to get it to zero.

Mr.Yuck wrote:

for that kind of cash you can buy  something a lot more racey.  that said you should be able to sell ennough. We sold over $1000 off of our L69 84 Trans Am to get it to zero.

Alfa Milanos are pretty damn good. There's a few that have been racing for years and finish top 10 often.

I don't think you'll get sweated on a Milano. Sell what you can, make sure it's in good shape, show up and have fun. Check with the other teams that run them to learn the weak points and how to address them.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

22 (edited by peakay 2018-04-26 06:53 AM)

Alferrari Fistillini wrote:

At that price, you should be able to sell off enough interior bits, trim and glass to get you within the Lemons budget.

You've got a really good support system for Alfas on the left coast.  Look up Brian Shorey and his gang of Alfa fanatics.  His team raced a Milano in like 90 Lemons races before they finally split every seam on the car.  The 3.0L engines run like freight trains and the chassis is very tunable.  And like Type44 says about the glorious exhaust note.... the aria emanating from the tailpipe can make women swoon and grown men weep.

Thanks Darren! We are going to go get it today. Actually, our main concern (after the thought of driving an italian car that has been sitting for years 4 hours home) is that one of us will fall for it and keep it as our own, thereby starting our search again.  I already ddid that on the firs Alfetta sedan we looked at...

We are driving from orange county CA to San Luis Obispo today and attempting to drive it home.  Gulp.

If anyone wants to see us return triumphantly or fail miserably, follow me at 'alfaddiction' on Instagram.  I hope to post during our travails.

here's the car by the way.  Any tips for resuscitating and transporting are welcome.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-ro … de-ca.html

peakay wrote:

here's the car by the way. 

Looks too nice to LeMonize!  Why don't those deals ever show up in the Midwest?  Oh yeah, because most Alfas of that vintage have returned to the earth in the form of iron oxide.  sad

Bad Mojo Racing
1971 Opel GT "Breadvan"

peakay wrote:

Looks too nice to LeMonize!  Why don't those deals ever show up in the Midwest?  Oh yeah, because most Alfas of that vintage have returned to the earth in the form of iron oxide.  sad

I know, right?  Maybe we don't lemonize it, but we'll see.  could be a dumpster fire when we get there.

On that note...the main thing mechanically I'm worried about now is the timing belt.  We don't know how old it is and changing it there is not an option for us. 

Can you recommend how to inspect it?  I assume the cover comes off pretty easily as it seems pretty exposed there on the front, but can you really judge condition on it visually?  Also, I don't know if they tend to break at high revs or will break idling -- we definitely plan to keep the rpms low.

peakay wrote:

I know what you mean, our 84 T/A was in super nice shape, it was an L69 car and we still cut it up.. ahh the joys of racing!