Re: Would it be possible to race a rental car?

Mcloed wrote:

Wouldn't it easier to have a shell.  Rent a car and pull the engine out and race it then put it back in?

This is a much better plan, I think. Cage an old nova, rent a new Camaro for the weekend, Swap the 6.2 in, and return it the next week. There was a totaled camaro I saw on copart a while back that someone wisely had swapped a 5.3 in it before letting the insurance co take it.

Spank wrote:

To be done RIGHT, it would need to be done with one of the BIG name nationwide rental agencies and with just some run-of-the-mill modern rental car, not some classic or exotic.

Oh, I agree your way is the way to do it right. I just think my way is the way it could actually happen, assuming the goal is to rent it on Thursday, tech it on Friday, race it over the weekend, then return it on Monday with a sporting chance of not getting caught.

Either way, the real nightmare would begin if the car were ever subsequently in a collision and it somehow came to light that it had once been the target of extensive unauthorized tampering. Other practical issues aside, this alone is an excellent reason never to do this.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

On one of the One Lap of America races a driver rented a fast mustang and entered it in the event. Part way through their vehicle tracker spilled the beans on what was going on and the rental company demanded the car back. BUSTED! smile

A quote from the CD Story:

Rent-a-racer is a term that rarely provokes smiles at rental-car counters, and this 2007 Hertz Ford Shelby Mustang GT-H is a case in point. Rhett O'Doski and James Kotas rented the GT-H in Florida and drove it in seven One Lap events without incident. But on the morning of day four in Pueblo, Colorado, the phone rang, and a stern-voiced Hertz representative told the teammates to return the car to Florida, forthwith, no more racing. Just how Hertz learned about the car's activities is a question we couldn't answer.