Topic: Tire life/how many tires used in a race

I'm shopping my tire/wheel pkg now. How many tires do you guys use in a race? I'm thinking 2 full sets maybe 3 sets of ready to go tires.

Team Safety 3rd Racing.
1985 Dodge Daytona Turbo-currently being lemonized.
https://www.facebook.com/TeamSafety3rdRacing/

Re: Tire life/how many tires used in a race

If ya'll are doing the 24 hour in November at MSR, at least 2 full.  That is what we are going with

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

3 (edited by TheEngineer 2018-04-02 10:58 AM)

A new daytona team? I hope you're ready for misery.

Our Daytona used to get through 2 races on a set of tires. Primarily used star specs in 205/50-16. That's for normal 2 day 14.5 hour events, not a full 24 however.

If you want a data dump on how we finally got some reliability with our car shoot me a message.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

You definitely don't need three sets.

For your first race, you don't even need two because you'll be in the pits so much (not joking).

Typically, one set of tires is enough for a race unless it's a particularly abrasive track or abusive car. Having a second set on hand is a good idea just in case.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

It depends on how you drive. We'll be starting race #3 on the same set of tires this month. I try to have six decent tires when I go to a race.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

rmcdaniels wrote:

It depends on how you drive. We'll be starting race #3 on the same set of tires this month. I try to have six decent tires when I go to a race.

Which brand/model tires?

We Audi Be Faster
'85 Audi Coupe G(in &) T(onic)

205/55-R16 Hankook Ventus R-S4 on a 1981 Mercedes 300D. We did have them heat-cycled by Tire Rack when we ordered them, which seems to help. But we also don't overcook it into turns and scrub them, and we back off when we feel them starting to get hot, so we try to take care of them.

There is a bit of outside edge wear, probably from underinflation (it's a much heavier car than we are used to, so I think that we go a little low on tire pressure sometimes, especially in front), so I'll be flipping all of them on their rims before the CMP race this month.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

We buy four new tires for every race.  We put a new pair of the front (FWD) for each day and run used ones in the rear.  We've tried many brands, but we currently like the Hankook RS4s a lot.

Your wear rate depends on the car, track, and drivers.  At RA and Barber, we could run the whole race on the same tires, but at CMP, we're on the cords at the end of day one.

As always, YMMV.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

TheEngineer wrote:

A new daytona team? I hope you're ready for misery.

And an '85, with the old electronics.  Don't worry about tires and find a new distributor, HEP, TPS, Logic Module and Power Module. 
Then go over that 33 year old wire harness and find all the corroded wires and bad connections

If it doesn't have 2 doors, 3 pedals, and 5 lug nuts per wheel - It isn't a real race car

Yea, I gave them a data dumb through email and talked about a few of the electronic issues we had. Thankfully our '89 had the combined single module ECU, so one less thing to worry about. that stupid HEP though. We spent ages narrowing a stumbling problem down to that stupid metal signal ring starting to come loose and sending garbage data to the ECU.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Given your excellent choice of car I suggest bringing 4 wheels and tires and consider it a massive victory if you get to the point where you need to replace a worn out tire.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Hey OP,
You should drive up to Wisconsin and buy my Shadow.  The chassis is shot, but has a fresh 2.2 turbo motor with the much better '86 electronics.  I have a bunch of spares, custom 12.5" front brakes, the better 91+ k-frame, A arms and steering knuckles.   Basically everything your Daytona needs to not suck.  All yours for $500

If it doesn't have 2 doors, 3 pedals, and 5 lug nuts per wheel - It isn't a real race car

Id be interested in the custom 12.5" brakes....but dont need the rest of the car.

Team Safety 3rd Racing.

Safety3rdRacing wrote:

Id be interested in the custom 12.5" brakes....but dont need the rest of the car.

You will.... about halfway through your first race.

Fishah wrote:
Safety3rdRacing wrote:

Where's that damn 'like' button....

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Fishah wrote:
Safety3rdRacing wrote:

This man speaks the truth. I'd take all that stuff if I were you. Spares are your friend with the daytona.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

car came with lots of spare parts. I researched the car prior to buying it and found a local Shelby dodge owners club. 2 of my teammates are current turbo dodge owners, 7 cars between them not including their kiddos cars. Even 2 of the rare lotus head dohc 93 R/T cars. We have plenty of spare parts.

Wiring is a nightmare though on this car.

Follow our team FB page to keep up with the build. Link is in my signature.

Team Safety 3rd Racing.

The major turbo dodge forums seemed confused that mine was so unreliable and broke so often. Fan clubs often have a higher opinion of platforms than reality. They were also unable to help me diagnose issues on a number of occasions. It was weird.

But at least you have plenty of team member cars to cannibalize when something goes wrong.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

VKZ24 wrote:

We buy four new tires for every race.  We put a new pair of the front (FWD) for each day and run used ones in the rear.  We've tried many brands, but we currently like the Hankook RS4s a lot.

Your wear rate depends on the car, track, and drivers.  At RA and Barber, we could run the whole race on the same tires, but at CMP, we're on the cords at the end of day one.

As always, YMMV.

We buy 4 new tires every race for a heavy RWD car (95 tbird). I try to buy them on a deal and spend maybe $450-500 on the set.
For the first race, my 4 spare wheels will have whatever non-rotten tires I have that are lemons-legal.
For the second race, my used tires from the first race become spares and I'll sell off my original spares. I can usually get $10-15 for any crappy tire if they hold air.
For every race after that, the old spares get sold off and I can usually get more (maybe $100/set) if they are decent tires (like Star Specs) with 40-50% life left. This will cover my tire mounting costs and a pizza.
FWIW, we've never worn tires down to cords. The one time we had a tire with severe chunking, I still sold the set of Toyo Proxes for $80.
-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

Mu rotation on the fox bird is new > spare > Street “testing” by then not much left to sell. Because at each stage we lose 1-2 tires.

We like to plan a weekend with 4 new and 2 prime used tires.

And then there are blowed up races where you just run all the stuff that only saw like an hour of track time.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Along the same topic.   Should we just bringthe tires on rims ?  Or is there a tire mounting ability ?

404 Fatal Exception Volvo
2018 B.F.E GP, Get Yer Phil

abqdenmagoo wrote:

Along the same topic.   Should we just bringthe tires on rims ?  Or is there a tire mounting ability ?

Not typically and not historically. It was your obligation to bring tires/wheels ready to go. If you need tires mounted during a race, some tracks may have equipment but typically you have to go to town.

With that said, with Lemons new partnership with Yokohama, some specific events will have a full service tire mounting truck available for free usage.

Thanks.  Appreciate the reply.  Tires on rims it is.

404 Fatal Exception Volvo
2018 B.F.E GP, Get Yer Phil

24 (edited by J-D123 2018-06-05 07:49 PM)

May I know what tires did you use for the race? Anyone here who used Toyo Proxes or Nitto tires? Is it true that Toyo R888 and Nitto NT01 have the same compound?

J-D123 wrote:

May I know what tires did you use for the race? Anyone here who used Toyo Proxes or Nitto tires? Is it true that Toyo R888 and Nitto NT01 have the same compound?

Both of those tires are 100 TW and not Lemons legal. That said, most people seem to run Dunlop Direzza Star Specs, Falken Azenis, Bridgestone Potenza RE-71Rs, Hankook RS4s, and now Yokohama Advan Neova AD08Rs. I might be missing some, but those are the big names that I hear.

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions