Topic: Miata Roll Cage Question

Trying to put a cage in my NA Miata.

Can I do this with the door bars? or do they have to go to the main hoop?

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m588/Adam_Dragon_F/DSCN2453.jpg

Buffs Racing: Judge's Choice -- BFE GP 2017
Disco Ball MR2s: Regional Award -- BFE GP 2018

Re: Miata Roll Cage Question

Your welds look nice and where/how you're attaching door bars looks reasonable.  But John Pagel is the guy to ask, as his decision is what matters.  The "S" bends in your door bars might be a problem as "S" bends are not supposed to be allowed.  Although I have seen cars pass tech with them.

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

S bends are fine, lots of cars have them including all 3 of mine.  Never had them questioned.   However,  everything says they should be to the main hoop so I would get approval first from HQ.  I'm pretty sure Pagel has a lot of experience with Miatas so he can also help guide you in the right direction.   Probably a thread on it here if you search around.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

I asked Pagel about this style of miata cage, a hoop that doesn't extend to the floorpan area and he says "That's the way I do it. That's the strongest part of the car".

I can't speak to the doorbars attachment. S Bends in door bars are permitted at this point in Lemons. I believe it is NASA that doesn't like them.

FWIW, EvilGeniusRacing (Pagel) can sell you a bent miata kit for probably cheaper than you can buy bare tube.

If you email John, post the answer here. I have a Miata, also, and will probably end up doing something similar - would love to know the "right way" for sure.

K Car Stalker

Did anyone end up building their miata cage like this or get a clarification from Pagel?

This is actually how I did the cage for our C4 Corvette.  The frame kicks up behind the driver, and the floor pan is fiberglass.  So the door bars attach to the A pillar bars in the front and to the frame of the car in back/behind the driver.

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LMIF18/0878-IMG_0692.jpg
http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LMIF18/0877-IMG_0691.jpg

This is how ALL the C4 Corvette race cars I saw with cages did it.  That being said I made sure it was OK with Pagel before I got out the welder.  Its better to ask before you get too far into it!

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

In regards to the S-bent door bars, some NASA (the racing organization) keyboard commando used their high-school level understanding of statics to decreed that all S-bends are inferior. As silly as their ruling is, rules are the rules. WRL recently adopted the same rules, but are open to variances on certain S-bent door bars.

When I cage my BMW 4-door sedan, I simply ran the upper door bar THROUGH the B-pillar and then reinforced the B-pillar where the bar went through. Everyone seemed happy with the design and the driver has tons of room.

https://i.imgur.com/ILgltnV.jpg

The Pentastar whisperer

Great solution! I don't think the S bend rule is silly and haven't seen a cage with an S bend that couldn't have been done without an S. Including the vette and miata cages.

Yea, A lot of people are really scared of just putting the cage through the body.
It's not a real car anymore, don't compromise cage just to keep the body original. This isn't Showroom Stock.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

moparfan wrote:

Great solution! I don't think the S bend rule is silly and haven't seen a cage with an S bend that couldn't have been done without an S. Including the vette and miata cages.

Ive never seen a C4 Vette that was NOT done without an S bend.  In fact the Vette was one of the cars that got the WRL to reconsider allowing them.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Tiptoe the rat wrote:
moparfan wrote:

Ive never seen a C4 Vette that was NOT done without an S bend.  In fact the Vette was one of the cars that got the WRL to reconsider allowing them.

I think you got one too many negatives in there.