Topic: Filling up Hunsaker 5 gallon quik fill

So we got some Hunsakers to speed up refueling but it appears filling them up requires some finesse. What's the secret? A long neck funnel?

Re: Filling up Hunsaker 5 gallon quik fill

If you are filling them from other 5 gallon jugs you will either need a funnel or put a fitting and a hose in the cap of the jug you are filling from.  Another option is to use a pump siphon or an electric fuel pump.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

At the gas pumps do NOT fill them using the dump outlet.  Use the air inlet....  The displaced air has to go somewhere, and once the lower port is under fuel, you get a bad splash back....  Don't ask how I found that out.  You go brain dead occasionally.

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

Mick25 wrote:

At the gas pumps do NOT fill them using the dump outlet.  Use the air inlet....  The displaced air has to go somewhere, and once the lower port is under fuel, you get a bad splash back....  Don't ask how I found that out.  You go brain dead occasionally.

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

Mick25 wrote:

+1

We have a bunch of regular 5-gal jugs and on of the caps has a 1.5' hose.  We use that to fill the Hunsakers.

Fill them through the vent port, and make sure to remove the dump hose cap before filling or you'll get a face full of dinosaur squeezin's.

Perennial Losers
Mazda 787b aka '75 914 - Org Choice @ The Ridge, 2015; IGS @ TH, 2018
BMW M1 Procar aka '80 RX-7 (retired) - Zero awards sad

I've always stuck a big funnel in the air vent and dump in there.  Make sure you leave the nozzel open while you dump so the air can go out.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

We always fill the supply/pour hose with the vent cap off...at the fuel pumps. You can also fill the vent side with the supply cap off, but we have found it is more prone to back up that way. If you fill using the pour spout, just make sure you direct the flow in a way that does not allow it to back up in the neck. I would add that our hose is the 2.25" OD.

#9 Audi CQ Scooby Doo Car known as the Mystery Machine, #44 Audi 4KQ painted as a tribute car to the 1989 IMSA  car driven by Haywood, Stuck, and Rohrl, and the #95 Audi TT Lightning McQueen.

I love the forum.  Answers are correct and concise.  None of the FB nonsense you see to the same question.  Yes, I fill from the vent side as well with the cap off of the dump side.  Also, I fill them in NJ from a pump.  I also typically just take the pump from the attendant so he can fill other cars too.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

Team Glue Sticks just reminded me...if you have never filled up in NJ be aware that state law prohibits the gas stations from allowing fuel to be poured directly from the pump into any fuel containers that are not red in color. Many stations comply with this law and will stop you from filling a white (Hunsaker) container, we have found a few stations that do not comply with the law or have rookie fueling attendants that do not know any better. However, we always take at least two red containers with us in case we have to transfer the fuel at the gas station. (Literally pump into red container and then pour into white container, which they will allow) I know it sounds absurd, but it is enforced at many of the stations. Note that even the NJMP website provides the following warning regarding their on-site fueling stations "The fuel stations are permitted to fill containers in proper five gallon red fuel cans only, per New Jersey state law."

#9 Audi CQ Scooby Doo Car known as the Mystery Machine, #44 Audi 4KQ painted as a tribute car to the 1989 IMSA  car driven by Haywood, Stuck, and Rohrl, and the #95 Audi TT Lightning McQueen.

Mysterymachine wrote:

Team Glue Sticks just reminded me...if you have never filled up in NJ be aware that state law prohibits the gas stations from allowing fuel to be poured directly from the pump into any fuel containers that are not red in color. Many stations comply with this law and will stop you from filling a white (Hunsaker) container, we have found a few stations that do not comply with the law or have rookie fueling attendants that do not know any better. However, we always take at least two red containers with us in case we have to transfer the fuel at the gas station. (Literally pump into red container and then pour into white container, which they will allow) I know it sounds absurd, but it is enforced at many of the stations. Note that even the NJMP website provides the following warning regarding their on-site fueling stations "The fuel stations are permitted to fill containers in proper five gallon red fuel cans only, per New Jersey state law."

A can of red spray paint can solve that problem, if you don't want to do the fill and transfer method.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

A cash tip tp the attendant usually gets our 55 gallon drums filled without issue when in NJ.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia