Topic: Chevy Manifold question.

This is a long term engine build that I'm doing...our Corvette is my main focus, but that doesn't mean I can't keep my eyes open for parts for my personal road car.

The car is an 84' Monte Carlo SS.  I was able to score a 400 small block from one of my uncles for cheap.  The engine is tired, but it has never been rebuilt so its going to be the basis to replace the tired 350 that's currently in the car.

Two years ago I managed to pick up a holley pro-jection fuel injection kit for my car.  It was used, but hardly at all!  still in the box with extra injectors and so forth and VERY cheap.   I know its not AS GOOD as the more modern systems that have come out since but the car runs great on it, I don't like carbs,  so its going to stay.

Since I'm doing a full rebuild on the 400 I'm wondering what intake manifold to use?   I HAVE a Weiand stealth intake that I could use.  But I'm considering other ideas. 

I can still get my paws on a holley made intake for this injection.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/300-4 … Y9EALw_wcB

So part of me wonders if this would be the best idea, it was MADE for the throttle body afterall.

But time has marched on since then.  I have an adaptor plate for it so I can bolt it up to any square bore manifold.  I wonder if I would not do better with an Edelbrock  EPS??  or maybe an airgap??  OR maybe...something else?? 

Main goal is a torque since the car is heavy and its automatic.  But I do plan to do some track days with it after I'm done so I can't JUST make it a truck engine.

Thoughts??? Questions??? Comments??

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Re: Chevy Manifold question.

I had a performer intake and performer 700 cfm on a 400 in a 74 Nova auto. Was a motor in need of a rebuild but seemed to pick it up over the stock intake and quad, rolled over pretty bad after about 4800 rpm the stock cam was a little flattened... Think I would go with stock tbi manifold if it's a mild build, air gap if you go with aftermarket heads and 500+ cam. If you want my perform for cheap fourm email me

This doesn't answer your manifold question, but if you have a 350 and a 400, you should consider building a 383.  Every one I have seen have been torque monsters.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

racinrob wrote:

This doesn't answer your manifold question, but if you have a 350 and a 400, you should consider building a 383.  Every one I have seen have been torque monsters.

Why do a 383 over a 406?? 

Just curious!

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015

Tiptoe the rat wrote:
racinrob wrote:

Why do a 383 over a 406?? 

Just curious!

You end up with a better rod length to stroke ratio. This takes load off of the cylinder walls.
Also, good 400 blocks are hard to find. Also,  the 400 tends to run out of rpm because of the rod ratio.
It sounds like this build is fine with a 406. I have heard that 400 blocks can suffer from core shift.
As I bleed Ford Blue, I've never chased that one down. I do have very high regard for BBC, however.

On a related note, I'd suggest forgetting about Gen 1 SBC shenanigans,  and find an LS to swap in. More power, better drivability, better reliability, better fuel economy...what's not to love?

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

I respect your insights.  I was GOING to go the LS route,  but I managed to luck into a good clean 400 SBC, it was owned by my uncle since new, so the history is good and its never been bored.   THAT combined with all the other parts I have is why I'm staying old school.