Topic: Roll Cage Spreader Plate Outriggers - Legal? - 1990 Nissan Stanza

Hi all,  I did read the pinned post about roll cages and I read the "How not to fail" PDF about roll cages - I even saw the section on outriggers in that document - and I still have an unanswered question - so I apologize in advance.   

After two arrive-and-drive races we want to take it to the next level and so we are looking to buy this 1990 Nissan Stanza:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zOXNGar98EXkrLo43

It was already a Lemons car and we will be (at least) its fourth owner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vroTTe9_xZQ

My only question is the roll cage - it looks OK - but the way the roll cage is connected to the frame in the front uses "outriggers" / boxes that are about 2 inches tall.  Everything looks like it is in goog shape and well built - I just an curious if the outriggers are OK.

Thanks in advance.

/Chuck
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P … 803kXnf6VT

Re: Roll Cage Spreader Plate Outriggers - Legal? - 1990 Nissan Stanza

Those are not "outriggers" but "pith" boxes.
Perfectly legal.
They are used when the cage builder doesn't want to cut a hole in the floor to allow the cage to be lowered when welding 360 deg. around the upper joints. They instead cut the cage short and then use the boxes to make up for the shorter legs.

I have used them when cutting a hole isn't practical due to structure below the floor that you don't want to disturb.

3 (edited by TheEngineer 2018-05-02 05:13 PM)

Those boxes at the front are fine. Plenty of teams use them. I hear them more often referred to as plinth boxes. Outriggers I usually hear when talking about building sections off of a truck frame to land the cage on.

The cage overall looks quite minimal. Does the passenger side have two door bars or just one? Can't tell from the pictures.

EDIT: the how not to fail guide you have in that photo album is out of date. there is a newer one on this site that has a few newer rules in it like needing two door bars on the passenger side.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

Those boxes at the front are fine. Plenty of teams use them. I hear them more often referred to as plinth boxes. Outriggers I usually hear when talking about building sections off of a truck frame to land the cage on.

The cage overall looks quite minimal. Does the passenger side have two door bars or just one? Can't tell from the pictures.

EDIT: the how not to fail guide you have in that photo album is out of date. there is a newer one on this site that has a few newer rules in it like needing two door bars on the passenger side.

/agree

The cage won't pass tech, but not because of the plinth boxes. The passenger door bars aren't right. The cage could be brought up to code though, assuming it isn't rusted out.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

The boxes are fine. Everything else appears to meet the minimum standards for a cage, with the exception of the door bars. It appears that there may be 2 door bars on the driver side and only one door bar on the passenger side. Two door bars are required on both sides. A very easy fix.

As others have indicated, the cage is built to minimum standards. You may want to consider adding a third door bar on the driver side, an anti-bow bar (See figure 2 in Lemons how-to), and a few gusset plates if you have the time and resources.

#9 Audi CQ Scooby Doo Car known as the Mystery Machine, #44 Audi 4KQ painted as a tribute car to the 1989 IMSA  car driven by Haywood, Stuck, and Rohrl, and the #95 Audi TT Lightning McQueen.

Thanks everyone.   The rust is only superficial (Its only a flesh wound).   I will add the second door bar and all of the things that Paddock Rat suggests.   While I have the checkbook out - safety first.

Luckily I have some time before Gingervitis to get this in shape.

/Chuck

drchuck wrote:

Luckily I have some time before Gingervitis to get this in shape.

/Chuck

If you are using your checkbook, get on it NOW.  Like drywallers, most cage builders are notorious for putting your one-off small work to the side while servicing regular clients.