Topic: Headlights

We are hoping to race in the November Houston race which is a full 24 hour race.  Our Probe has the really cool headlights but we only have one headlight.  The other one met its demise well before we got the car.  We were thinking of ditching the other light for a future vent hose and using some LED lighting as a replacement.  Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Firebug-Flood-Dr … ing+lights

Good idea or do we need to go in a different direction?

Thanks

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

Re: Headlights

moose72 wrote:

We are hoping to race in the November Houston race which is a full 24 hour race.  Our Probe has the really cool headlights but we only have one headlight.  The other one met its demise well before we got the car.  We were thinking of ditching the other light for a future vent hose and using some LED lighting as a replacement.  Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Firebug-Flood-Dr … ing+lights

Good idea or do we need to go in a different direction?

Thanks

LEDs suck for racing, they throw light everywhere.  The result is you don't see very well and you blind the other drivers.  All you need are two HID pencil beams for straight and two hella 500 wides for the corners.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

You will be the most hated team in the paddock if you use those cheap light bars.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

I will say, while light bars suck, some of the DOT approved LED units do work well. With the bonus of having a proper cutoff.

They should really test cars for cut off. It's not hard to do correctly.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

1.  Do not use your stock headlights.  You'll hate yourself.
2.  Do not use $20 LED lights.  Everyone within 300 yards of the track will hate you, even the girl at the track's front gate.  They vomit light everywhere.

The really good LED lights with good cutoff they use at the pro level are very expensive.  I'm sure they've come down quite a bit but the last time I looked at them they were 4 figures.  I doubt $20 ones have a cutoff.  I've been happy with very carefully aimed HID spots for straight ahead and Hella 500's for cornering.  The Hella's came used off ebay and the HID were new, total was around $100.  Tech in this area keeps.advancing so I'm sure someone makes a reasonably priced HID or LED with good cutoff better than what I have but I like the 500s as cornering lights.  They won't bother anyone and will do a good job.  We were underlighted for our first 24 and I was miserable.  I wanted to crash without seatbelts so I didn't have to get back in that thing to do another stint.  Don't screw yourself by not having enough lights and don't screw everyone else with lighting with bad cutoff. 

If you can arrange it, be the guy in the seat for the sunrise stint.  There is no feeling in a race car more exhilarating than seeing the sun come up 20 hours into a 24 hour race.  I hated that first 24 because of the lighting but have done 4 or so since and just love them.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Cheap LED's also give off significant RFI.
It can be so bad that you cannot use a radio at all.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated.  Now, where would be the best place to mount said lights?

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

And could someone post a link to the HID pencil beam?  I keep finding fog lights

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

moose72 wrote:

Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated.  Now, where would be the best place to mount said lights?

In the same place the headlights would normally go.  I had a light bar made that had the lights already mounted and used a 4 wire trailer light connector.  When it was close to dusk, we slid it on and connected.  When it got light in the morning we took it back off.  It's nice being able to leave it off during the day just in case one of the drivers bumps something, you don't lose your lights.

moose72 wrote:

And could someone post a link to the HID pencil beam?  I keep finding fog lights

Something like this...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-7-12V-55W … SwxQha1w8T

^ just be very careful aiming those.  The main problem with finding good lights for what we do is that 95% of what is out there is for off-road /desert use where you want turn night into day ahead of you.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Ok, just to make sure I am thinking right, the hella's would go on the outside of the front bumper, pointed somewhat down and angled left and right for the corners and the HID's would be pointed ahead, to where they cross say 25 feet in front of the car pointed somewhat down?

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

Yes.  You can  google instructions on headlight aiming.  I did it at night with a HF laser level pointed at a white wall to obtain reference points.  The cornering lights I never could find good aiming instructions.  I start with the cornering lights pointed at about 10:30 & 1:30 and test drive.  Even doing it in the paddock helps but you probably won't know what you need until you go on track.  Plan on having the required tools ready to re-adjust at your first night stop.  Basically you more or less want the apex lit up before you get to your turn in point.

Gone bye-bye

Got it, I did find the instructions, was not too sure about the cornering lights.  Thanks so much.  I do have a friend with the Air National Guard, maybe I can ask for a favor and have flares dropped all night long.  Think anyone would mind?

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

A couple more things that helps is to put window tint on your rear view mirrors and attach/tape a motocross visor to your helmet.  Not everyone is going to be as courteous as you and will be running the $20 LEDs.  The window tint helps and you can dip/tilt your head to use the visor to temporarily block out the really blinding mirror reflections.  If it keeps you from running off track once because of light dazzle, it's worth it.

Gone bye-bye

Will do, thanks

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod