Topic: In-car radio options

Hey guys and gals. We have been running Lemons in the North East region for the last 3 years. When we started we purchased a radio system from Sampson and have had nothing but problems with the car harnesses and push-to-talk buttons. We have gone through several of each with no apparent damage from improper routing or securing issues. They also have poor long range reception. We would like to see some of your ideas for systems that won't be too expensive and will actually last for the entire race weekend without quitting on us. Thanks!

Re: In-car radio options

We have been using the Midland GXT1000 set up I found on the forum pages here. 

https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … 33&p=4

about halfway down, look for the post by chi

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

Also currently being discussed here: https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=36570

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

4 (edited by Guildenstern 2018-05-14 01:57 PM)

I know I'm just going to make my life harder. But, If you like paying the FCC money, One of these, probably fixes most of people's problems.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1369/0495/products/CM300_UHF_Mobile_Amz_large.jpg?v=1493912272

Not Cheaply mind you.

And yes, you just throw money at the FCC for a GMRS license and you can use them with even the crappy bubble pack FRS/GMRS Handi-Talkies.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

5 (edited by microracer24 2018-05-14 02:25 PM)

Guildenstern wrote:

I know I'm just going to make my life harder. But, If you like paying the FCC money, One of these, probably fixes most of people's problems.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1369/0495/products/CM300_UHF_Mobile_Amz_large.jpg?v=1493912272

Not Cheaply mind you.

And yes, you just throw money at the FCC for a GMRS license and you can use them with even the crappy bubble pack FRS/GMRS Handi-Talkies.

Nevermind I see now this is GMRS... How would I go about hooking up a helmet kit and PTT? I know nothing about this stuff.

Now that is where my team mates special sauce comes in.

Which is to say, “I dono, magic angry pixy smoke tubes or somethin.”

It is doable. It’s basically all the same wires in and out just diffrent form factor. So you just gotta make the plug and the harness.

Like with the hand held, every brand and sometimes model has diffrent wireing up.

This is one of those “Hey Justin, you have a HAM licence....” kind of deligations for me.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

I will say the bit I know involved using a high quality momentary closed  switch button installed on our steering wheel, not a velcro on cheap PTT. As well as spending for the mini XLR plugs for good positive connection between the PTT and the Harness.

Everything makes good positive -CLICKS!- which is what you want to hear with ruggedized stuff like this. Not dinky little din plugs and membrane buttons.

I've also used the Midlands for a radio setup. I just run the antenna out the original antenna hole for our BMW in the rear where I made a hinged base for it to fit in the charger.

I saw lots of complaints about them being too quiet, so I set up a guitar/mic stage amplifier ($25) to have adjustable volume for the driver. I wired a low voltage drop out regulator to supply it with DC from the car. The regulators are just a few bucks.

PTT button is a basic push button that I installed on the cruise control lever. Pretty sure we don't need that, even if it worked.

The rest of the setup is shielded microphone cable (4 conductor, plus shield) that I bought in bulk and soldered on typical guitar 1/4 connectors. An IMSA plug setup for the drivers completes the driver connection. I did make my own headsets with some electret condenser mics that matched the Midland resistance, and have a TRS connection for typical headphones that the drivers can choose.

I can do a much more thorough writeup if it sounds like a worthy project. If you can solder, I can probably provide the details for you to set it up.

Plain Jane '86 BMW 535i - Current
RIP People's Elbowed Protege - 2010