Topic: Insurance

Does anyone have any direction I can go to find personal insurance for my body for the weekend?   Thanks in advance!

Re: Insurance

Garrett wrote:

Does anyone have any direction I can go to find personal insurance for my body for the weekend?   Thanks in advance!

Let me talk with my wife, she has always taken out insurance whenever we go on "sporting" vacations and every race I have done. It just played out this past March for me during a snowboarding injury that occurred when I decided to take on a bunch of rocks.

a lethal overdose of brick wall, taken while under the influence of a Ferrari and a bottle of tequila.

Somebody wrote:
Garrett wrote:

Let me talk with my wife, she has always taken out insurance whenever we go on "sporting" vacations and every race I have done. It just played out this past March for me during a snowboarding injury that occurred when I decided to take on a bunch of rocks.

Thanks!!!!

This is a thing you can do?

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions

VanillaHaze wrote:

This is a thing you can do?

For enough money you can basically insure anything against anything.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Is this in addition to standard health / life insurance policies or do you just not carry insurance (no judgement, I didn't either until I had a wife and kids)?

Just trying to understand the motivation behind the question.

Electric Mayhem Racing

A lot of those policies specifically don't pay out for doing anything fun. Check your paperwork (assuming they ever gave it to you these days.)

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

If you have life insurance usually they can write you a rider for a specific event or time period. Call and ask them. Are you looking for something north of 7 figures? If yes, ask your bank or financial advisor. Or ask your family lawyer.

In my experience, life insurance will ask you about extreme sports to overcharge you even more for the level of risk you pose to their profit.  Racing was on that list when I signed up.  Since it was before I was racing, I said no.  I am sure they would not cover me for it as a result.  I am confident all life insurance companies would have such a clause in the fine print along with more asinine clauses to avoid paying.

10 (edited by Fishah 2018-06-28 09:46 AM)

When I signed up for life insurance, I told them that I race as a hobby. They freaked out. There was an extra form to fill out, and they ended up boosting my rate from $35/mo to $59/mo. So I pay $288/year extra just for the racing coverage; $5760 over the course of the policy.

With that said, I'm covered now regardless of the stupid shit that I do.

If you haven't had that conversation with your Life Insurance company yet, I'm sure they won't cover you.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct