Topic: looking for a car trailer in phoenix.

I have about $2000 to spend although I would rather spend less. It really seems like ppl are asking as much or more for a used one then new. any recommendations or things to stay away from? also I'll be towing with my sprinter van for what that's worth.

Owner/Captain of The 27 Club E46. Phoenix, AZ
and now the #95 Thunderbird

Re: looking for a car trailer in phoenix.

Sexy jesus wrote:

I have about $2000 to spend although I would rather spend less. It really seems like ppl are asking as much or more for a used one then new. any recommendations or things to stay away from? also I'll be towing with my sprinter van for what that's worth.

If Phoenix is like every other Metro area, widen you search to the nearest agriculture or redneck haven....I am guessing that is heading more in the direction of Prescott but I maninly only know the Phoenix to Prescott and north of there.

For my current area, nice wood deck, dovetail 18' with one axle braked and all ready to roll is $2-2500.  Same thing in Chicago (I am 20 minutes outside) is around $3500-4,000.  Make it need some work and they can drop to about $1-1300.

The Arizona trailer market is insane. People think their old beat up crap is worth the same as brand new, unless it is literally falling apart.

Deals do come up occasionally, but you have to be ready to pounce.

That guy

I am in SoCal and saw the same thing.  I ended up buying a new Carson Trailer 16' with wood deck for about $2500 brand new with one set of axle brakes.  This trailer drives very nice.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Alternatively, a 4-day rental of an auto transport trailer from Uhaul out of Phoenix is $219.80. I just typed in a random June date Fri-Mon to check.

thanks for your help guys looks like I can use a friends so I won't need to buy one before the next race. I will need a brake controller though. are they all the same? or is there something I should be looking for/ avoiding?

Well now that that is solved, I can hijack this thread.

Where in Phoenix are you? Always good to know that there are more local guys around.

What is your next planned race?

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

Sexy jesus wrote:

... I will need a brake controller though. are they all the same? or is there something I should be looking for/ avoiding?

When I was looking, I found the Hopkins had a different electrical connector then the Tekonsha, but I found a Hopkins adapter to the GeneralMotors "tow package brake controller connector plug" on the next pin in WalMart. So, I'm assuming two things, that: 1. there is no standard electrical connection to brake controllers and, 2. that each manufacturer would be wise to have an adapter available.

I think there are generally two kinds, those that have adapter plugs, and those that expect you to b hardwire. Generally cheaper ones expect you to do wiring.

Most newish trucks/SUVs seem to have a plug ready for you to find if they don't already have a tow package.

You'll also need a seven pin connector on the truck.

That guy

Sexy jesus wrote:

thanks for your help guys looks like I can use a friends so I won't need to buy one before the next race. I will need a brake controller though. are they all the same? or is there something I should be looking for/ avoiding?

If your truck/SUV is fairly new and designed for towing, it might have a brake controller plug under the dash.  Check your owners manual.  You can then buy the controller of your choice + an adapter cable matching your vehicle for plug and play.  If you don't have a plug under the dash, you will need to hard wire it in, which I have no experience in.  eTrailer.com has lots of info.

I bought the Tekonsha P3 which was highly rated for about $125.  There are cheaper ones available, but I liked the Tekonsha because I am towing at max capacity for my vehicle and it is a proportional controller which measures the force you are trying to brake with.

So trucks like the newer F150s have controllers built in.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

11 (edited by Brett85p 2018-05-23 11:11 AM)

rb92673 wrote:
Sexy jesus wrote:

If your truck/SUV is fairly new and designed for towing, it might have a brake controller plug under the dash.  Check your owners manual.  You can then buy the controller of your choice + an adapter cable matching your vehicle for plug and play.  If you don't have a plug under the dash, you will need to hard wire it in, which I have no experience in.  eTrailer.com has lots of info.

I bought the Tekonsha P3 which was highly rated for about $125.  There are cheaper ones available, but I liked the Tekonsha because I am towing at max capacity for my vehicle and it is a proportional controller which measures the force you are trying to brake with.

So trucks like the newer F150s have controllers built in.

I just ordered a Tekonsha P3, I was trying to get by with a cheaper model but it sucks as it's all of nothing based off the brake lights so you are constantly adjusting for open road vs. side roads or forgetting and locking up the trailer brakes.

Definitely worth the money!

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

I had a P3 on my truck.  Took a bit to install but once it was in, it made a world of difference towing a fully loaded trailer for of Boy Scout gear in the Texas Hill Country.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

lots of info thanks guys. I'll do more research on the sprinter forum!

Fishah wrote:

Where in Phoenix are you? Always good to know that there are more local guys around.

I am at 10th st and Indian school. next race will be BFE. I saw you guys out at Wilcox but that was our 1st race and I was so overwhelmed with everything I didn't really talk to anyone.  Are you going up to CO?

15 (edited by Fishah 2018-05-24 09:15 AM)

Sexy jesus wrote:
Fishah wrote:

I am at 10th st and Indian school. next race will be BFE. I saw you guys out at Wilcox but that was our 1st race and I was so overwhelmed with everything I didn't really talk to anyone.  Are you going up to CO?

I'm in Chandler by 101 & 60. If you ever need anything, don't hesitate to reach out.

Was yours was the car with the cool wrap on it?

We were pretty busy ourselves that weekend, so I totally get that.

We are going to Colorado, but not for BFE. We're planning on the Get Yer Phil 500 in October as our next event. Taking the summer off to replenish the wallet, and fix some small nagging issues. Too fking hot here to work during the summer anyway.

yeah, but it's a dry heat...

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

moose72 wrote:

So is the inside of my oven smile

I can't recommend the  Tekonsha P3 enough. I have it too and it's great. The analog manual brake on it is awesome too.

Takata R&D :: 1993 Accord - team captain - rear drum brakes lol
GoPro 360 Heros :: BMW E28  - co-captain

aventari wrote:

I can't recommend the  Tekonsha P3 enough. I have it too and it's great. The analog manual brake on it is awesome too.

I think that's the one I just ordered. it was like 122 bucks. not cheep.

Fishah wrote:
Sexy jesus wrote:
Fishah wrote:

I'm in Chandler by 101 & 60. If you ever need anything, don't hesitate to reach out.

We are going to Colorado, but not for BFE. We're planning on the Get Yer Phil 500 in October as our next event. Taking the summer off to replenish the wallet, and fix some small nagging issues. Too fking hot here to work during the summer anyway.

Its actually all airbush work. 100% by hand no stencils or anything Danny Livingston is the artist name. He is a total trip. best of all he did it in exchange for welding/suspention fabracation  work on his old ratrod. so it cost me nothing but time.

There is talks of going to that race. But I think plans are shifting to the TX 24hr race.

and thanks for the offer I'm glad you guys reached out. I have a swamp cooled garage that stays cool enough to dick around with cars if you need a place to wrench.

moose72 wrote:

swamp coolers work really well. I run the cooler on my house at night and it gets the house down to the mid 60s this time of year then I shut the windows all day. it never gets up to 80.

22 (edited by Fishah 2018-05-26 08:34 PM)

Sexy jesus wrote:
Fishah wrote:
Sexy jesus wrote:

Its actually all airbush work. 100% by hand no stencils or anything Danny Livingston is the artist name. He is a total trip. best of all he did it in exchange for welding/suspention fabracation  work on his old ratrod. so it cost me nothing but time.

There is talks of going to that race. But I think plans are shifting to the TX 24hr race.

and thanks for the offer I'm glad you guys reached out. I have a swamp cooled garage that stays cool enough to dick around with cars if you need a place to wrench.

Wow I'm impressed! Beautiful work. Definitely thought it must have been a wrap.

Honestly I'm on the fence between the two races. High Plains does look like a more fun track, and it's closer by about four hours I think. I also don't have headlights...  But 24s are epic.

Awesome, good to know! I also bought a swamp cooler last season for the garage also. A definite game changer!

I don't know what you tow with but I have access to a 2 car trailer if you have a big diesel truck we could talk about sharing tow costs. just a thought seems like something local teams should think about.