Topic: O.E. fuel system and tech

So, I am the main wrench for our group, hopefully setting up for Lemons south fall in September, setting up a relatively terrible miata, and am looking at the rules about having a metal firewall between the tank and the passenger compartment, which makes total sense, however it says nothing about the fuel filler neck. we are running the stock neck in the stock location, but it is in the trunk, and with all of the interior etc. removed there is a pass-through between the trunk (near the filler neck) and the driving compartment. Do I need to cover/seal/fill/remove this hole and the similar one on the passenger side?

Re: O.E. fuel system and tech

OEM setups are fine as is. You're more than welcome to plug the hole because it's one more layer of safety, but if everything is 100% OEM setup you're ok.

The firewall rule is mostly for fuel cells that are not FIA rated.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

If you take 30min to 1 hour to pop rivet some sheet metal flashing over those holes, you'll make people in tech really happy that they don't have to make a spot decision over that.

Ultimately, you'll be safer, too.

As to if it is REQUIRED, that's one of those "depends on who you get at tech and what mood they are in) questions. It's simple enough to do. Don't worry about making it air/water tight. Just close it up and you'll be happier it's not something you have to worry about.

Task one of your non-mechanic teammates with doing it. It's one of those "point and shoot" tasks (as Mary / Doctawife likes to call them)

4 (edited by VKZ24 2018-05-24 11:17 AM)

Use the reasoning of that hole will act like a funnel and let air into the trunk cavity, which will act like a parachute and slow you down.  Get an old metal street sign, some pop-rivets, and you're done.  This is what we did to plug our sunroof hole.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Thanks for the responses guys, Now of ultimate critical importance...
Which would make the car faster, in that location; a stop sign, speed limit 40, or a no parking sign ??
I would love to hear the reasoning.

featherfoot wrote:

Which would make the car faster, in that location; a stop sign, speed limit 40, or a no parking sign ??

Which one is easiest to steal in your neck of the woods?  wink

We indeed used a sign, but we didn't steal it.  One of our teammates works for a construction company and it was in their scrap pile.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Spank wrote:

If you take 30min to 1 hour to pop rivet some sheet metal flashing over those holes, you'll make people in tech really happy that they don't have to make a spot decision over that.

Ultimately, you'll be safer, too.

As to if it is REQUIRED, that's one of those "depends on who you get at tech and what mood they are in) questions. It's simple enough to do. Don't worry about making it air/water tight. Just close it up and you'll be happier it's not something you have to worry about.

Task one of your non-mechanic teammates with doing it. It's one of those "point and shoot" tasks (as Mary / Doctawife likes to call them)

/agree

I would seal it up for safety. You never know where fuel drips end up and you don't want fumes bothering the driver.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

featherfoot wrote:

...however it says nothing about the fuel filler neck... Do I need to cover/seal/fill/remove this hole and the similar one on the passenger side?

Isn't part of the stock Miata fuel filler neck a section of hose, which is to say not 100% metal? If so, you should certainly cover those holes, as it sure sounds like a "reservoir or line" that, without such a cover, is "exposed to... the driving compartment" :

3.F.6 Fuel, Oil, and Coolant in the Cockpit. Any fuel, oil, or coolant reservoirs or lines that are exposed to, or pass through, the driving compartment must be encased by heavy-duty conduit, durable steel or aluminum pipe, or strong metal plate. OE metal lines in good condition in their original location are exempt from this rule, but encasement is still recommended.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

featherfoot wrote:

None, street signs are too damn thick to be manageable. just get some .035 Al or double up some flattened out beer cans.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

I use old license plates for patching small holes like that.

30 entries since 2009
#39 & #53 Overengineer'd Racing - Wilton, NH
http://www.facebook.com/nhlemons

The 24 gauge aluminum sheet from the big box stores is great for this also...we keep a sheet in the garage all the time.

#9 Audi CQ Scooby Doo Car known as the Mystery Machine, #44 Audi 4KQ painted as a tribute car to the 1989 IMSA  car driven by Haywood, Stuck, and Rohrl, and the #95 Audi TT Lightning McQueen.

^ i carry a roll of roofing flashing.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

^ i carry a roll of roofing flashing.

+5
The aluminum flashing rolls can be bought in different widths, too.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

14 (edited by gunn 2018-05-25 11:26 AM)

featherfoot wrote:

I vote no parking.
If you are going to be a criminal miscreant, removal of a No Parking sign is far less dangerous to other motorists than the other two.
Of course, you can always (gasp) buy some thin sheet metal for very little money (like the flashing material). Or go to a body shop and ask them for some discarded door skins. I've used both.

Both options will also be in a thinner gauge and likely more lighweight. Therefore, you'll make the ghost of Colin Chapman proud instead of having the blood of some dead baby on your hands.

-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

gunn wrote:
featherfoot wrote:

I vote no parking...
...Therefore, you'll make the ghost of Colin Chapman proud instead of having the blood of some dead baby on your hands.

-g

Why is a dead baby parked in a No Parking Zone?

BTW, I've seen plenty of "used" street signs at salvage yards. I've also picked up bent road signs  off of the roadway for safety and pollution prevention reasons. No need to steal any.
Reduce, reuse, repurpose, recycle.

I vote for "Construction Ahead" as that's more realistic for a Lemons racecar.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

We used a street sign for a custom dash panel - there happened to be a "Slow Children" sign in the scrap pile. That seemed appropriate.

We Audi Be Faster
'85 Audi Coupe G(in &) T(onic)