Topic: Hunsaker Cans Tend to Leak

Has anyone else had an issue with the Hunsaker cans leaking?  Last year I bought 3 and 2 of them are now leaking at the seam near the middle.  I'm a little upset about it as the cheaper red ones seem to be holding up great, they just don't fill as fast or easily.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

Re: Hunsaker Cans Tend to Leak

No, but I store them empty. Are you storing them filled?

ross2004 wrote:

No, but I store them empty. Are you storing them filled?

One I had stored filled and two empty.  However, one of the empties still ended up leaking.

Team Glue Sticks
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

Mine don't leak at all and haven't been super careful with them either.  I would contact hudsucker with pictures maybe there was a bad batch or something and they hopefully will replace them.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

5 (edited by Greg S 2018-05-15 07:28 PM)

Take a picture of the dates coding on the bottoms and the leaking seam. Give Hunsaker a call and explain the situation and send the pictures. They will send you new cans but you will pay the shipping.

I had a bad one as well and they sent me a new one free.

Greg

1987 Alfa Milano (Bellissima since 2008), Racing since 2008 Stafford Springs,  2nd overall 2011 NJMP, 4th at NHMS 2011, 2nd at Summit 2011, Into the wall hard at Stafford Springs 2011, 2nd at Monticello 2013, 3rd at NHMS 2013, 2nd at NHMS 2016. 2nd at NJMP 2018

25,000 racing miles in 32 races in 10 years. Yes its the same motor. Tell me again how Alfas suck? Update: Big moneyshift = new motor

Same thing happened to one of ours...at the seams. We store empty but they enevitably end up in the sunshine at the track, while full. Suppose it might be the expansion pressure. I contacted Hunsaker...no luck...they pointed out the fine print which basically says this is a racing accessory and as such nothing is guaranteed. Still love their fuel containers though....

#9 Audi CQ Scooby Doo Car known as the Mystery Machine, #44 Audi 4KQ painted as a tribute car to the 1989 IMSA  car driven by Haywood, Stuck, and Rohrl, and the #95 Audi TT Lightning McQueen.

No leaks on any of our 3 cans; they're probably 2-3 years old.  We try not to store fuel in them long-term, though.

Perennial Losers
Mazda 787b aka '75 914 - Org Choice @ The Ridge, 2015; IGS @ TH, 2018
BMW M1 Procar aka '80 RX-7 (retired) - Zero awards sad

We had one leaking at the seam and we repaired it with some epoxy.  It worked for the rest of the weekend, but no idea how it will fair long term.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

9 (edited by meyers0150 2018-05-16 01:16 PM)

VKZ24 wrote:

We had one leaking at the seam and we repaired it with some epoxy.  It worked for the rest of the weekend, but no idea how it will fair long term.

Good idea, I may try this.  Or weld with some zip ties and a soldering iron.  Gas evaporates quickly right...

Team Glue Sticks

Emailed them and they said if I sent pictures and who I bought them from they would exchange them for the cost of shipping.  I have no clue what random online company had the sale and I bought them from so we will see how it goes.

Team Glue Sticks

meyers0150 wrote:

Emailed them and they said if I sent pictures and who I bought them from they would exchange them for the cost of shipping.  I have no clue what random online company had the sale and I bought them from so we will see how it goes.

this is why you never delete email...the search would not be complex as the company name is unique.

OnkelUdo wrote:
meyers0150 wrote:

this is why you never delete email...the search would not be complex as the company name is unique.

Fortunately I was able to find the company through FB aa I posted the link to the sale for other teams as well.  Sent them pictures and the company of purchase and then they have quit replying to me.  I'll email them again but I'm sure they won't be back to the office until Tuesday.   Really would love to have the cans replaced by Gingerman.

Team Glue Sticks

Be patient and send them a reminder. It took a little while for them to send me a replacement for my defective jug.

Greg

meyers0150 wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:
meyers0150 wrote:

Fortunately I was able to find the company through FB aa I posted the link to the sale for other teams as well.  Sent them pictures and the company of purchase and then they have quit replying to me.  I'll email them again but I'm sure they won't be back to the office until Tuesday.   Really would love to have the cans replaced by Gingerman.

1987 Alfa Milano (Bellissima since 2008), Racing since 2008 Stafford Springs,  2nd overall 2011 NJMP, 4th at NHMS 2011, 2nd at Summit 2011, Into the wall hard at Stafford Springs 2011, 2nd at Monticello 2013, 3rd at NHMS 2013, 2nd at NHMS 2016. 2nd at NJMP 2018

25,000 racing miles in 32 races in 10 years. Yes its the same motor. Tell me again how Alfas suck? Update: Big moneyshift = new motor